What's new

Does Li Mei deserve a spot in MK11? Plus, The Challenger (ft LowTierGod) and tag mode

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
God I hate Mondays. But instead of doing something regrettable and possibly illegal to spice up the beginning of your week, just remember that you have an extremely finite amount of Mondays to get through before your inevitable joyous departure to sweet oblivion.

Or you could get stuck into a podcast. Your choice really.

Today for your audible pleasure, we have the latest edition of the Warrior Shrine, featuring Jango and Temp as always but also featuring the tireless host of the NK, Cyborg. The boys talk us through three main topics covering nearly two solid hours of awesome content.

First up we have an in-depth discussion of Li Mei. Li Mei is one of the Temps favourite characters and, to hear many tell it, one of the most requested characters for MK11, on the back of her story cameo in MKX. Hear Temp (with Cyborg and Jango weighing in) on the characters strengths, inspiration, design, story, possible gameplay meta and the themes that course through the character, all just to answer my question. Aint that sweet.

Although they do fail to appreciate how excellent this screencap is as a 'wtf' reaction

Then they move onto discussing 'The Challenger', E-League's new reality SFV show, its implications for the FGC and the total miasma of depression surrounding a collection of mid-tier pro players in a Big Brother style house, complete with 'confessionals', with manufactured hype centred a player (LowTierGod) more notorious for tantrums, getting blown up by online scrubs and animal abuse then he is for actually playing fighting games.

If you want a preview of this colossal dumpster fire and need your daily quota of cringe, feast your eyes

But be cautious when you gaze into the abyss, for the abyss gazes into you

Finally, the boys expand on the potential for Tag Mode in MK11, including discussions of mechanics, meta and possible online features that make sense if Tag is to be included. Tag is certainly one of the most demanded features for (re)inclusion in MK11, though I think they missed out on noting that a Sub-Boss (or even Boss) utilising the feature seems plausible for MK11

To quote Razor Ramon: "hey yo"

As a bonus, this little piece has just gone up, discussing the aesthetics and design of the select screen. Personally I've never seen the importance of select screens, with the exception of making sure we get banging select screen music like in Deadly Alliance and Deception

Badass

Cyborg delves into all the issues here, from music, design and the importance the select screen plays in fighting games.

As always, check back to TYM for all the latest on the Mortal Kombat series, Injustice and everything NRS!

Last edited:

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
Pseudo on topic, speaking of selection screen music, does anyone else find it weird how the announcer says different characters name's with different tonalities?

Like in IJ2 most of the cast is fine but then you pick someone like Hellboy and the guys almost like "Hellboy....?" Don't know how to describe in text but compare hers to someone like "Darkseid". And it's just "Darkseid" or "Superman" or whatever. It's like he's questioning the fact that Hellboy is in the game. It triggers my ocd

Another one that gets me is "GREEN LAN-tern"

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Pseudo on topic, speaking of selection screen music, does anyone else find it weird how the announcer says different characters name's with different tonalities?

Like in IJ2 most of the cast is fine but then you pick someone like Hellboy and the guys almost like "Hellboy....?" Don't know how to describe in text but compare hers to someone like "Darkseid". And it's just "Darkseid" or "Superman" or whatever. It's like he's questioning the fact that Hellboy is in the game. It triggers my ocd

Yeah it is really weird. It doesn't seem like any MK games or even IGAU had this 'problem' so I wonder what happened there?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I really want that 4 player tag mode again with more options online.

Have it play offline like MK9 did if you have 4 people, that was insanely fun.

Online have it the way it was either 1 or with two players total of 4 tagging/in and out, however add an endurance tag mode online where it's like UMK3 up to 3 players totaling 6, optional. So you CAN'T tag but it's more of the first team to win or eliminate the others first wins. I just think this would be really cool online or offline though since there's only 4 ports this would have to be max of 4 offline. As for Li Mei she's alright, she can come back I guess.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I personally don't care for her. She's the stereotypical "kung fu girl", a trope I don't really find interesting at all. However, I know that she is indeed very popular amongst fans, and I do think she looked good in MKX, so I don't see why she wouldn't be in MK11.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
She looked horrible in MKX but I would like to see her in the game, I am ready for some of the other DA/Deception characters to make their playable debuts in the new timeline.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose

The greatest version of something like this of all time exists in Blazblue Chronophantasma.

Every single character's name is pronounced correctly, with the lone exception of a character named Bullet, which the announcer pronounces "Buh-rhet."

It's fucking perfect.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Outworld native now a refugee in Earthrealm and the looming threat of a Dark Raiden vs Kotal tournament. Originally trained by Shujinko, then later Bo' Rai Cho in the OT, but maybe just Bo this timeline, who's also an Outworld native. So should make for a fun moral grey area.

She has a pretty fun move set and could be designed as a flashy female martial artist (akin to Liu and Lao) considering her (and their) tutelage under Bo.

And, saving the best for last: canon or not, at one point she betrayed the whole god damn universe because she wanted to fuck a dragon.

Hell yes I want to see what happens with this character.