What's new

Does it seem fair that Smoke can phase through with half a stamina bar, but Scorpion uses full?

Israel

Noob
We just have to remember that they each are Ninjas. They got them different color outfits for a reason. They each specialize in their on field of trades... While scorpion was in a firey pit learning how to teleport behind people... smoke was in a foggy place learning the ways of evasive, with less effort.

Just saying they cant always be the same. otherwise each other ninja player can all argue... "Why cant reptile teleport? Why cant subzero summon demons? Why cant scorpion make iceballs or acid? Why cant sektor shoot a net? Why no cyrax with red mask?" They're all different. Therefore...different properties =]

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Scorpion teleport is one of the best moves of the game in neutral, it takes 6 frames to disappear, 21f to punish anything equal or with more recovery in this condition, it an attack that can be canceled, so ppl expect to block it every single time.

One only complains about scorpion teleport if he doesn't know when to use it, it's not a tool to use relentless, on right reads you teleport away or behind your opponent who is whiffing a string or coming out of long recovery moves which makes you super plus for a whiff punish.
Losing all stamina in the process is a small price to pay, considering you get to refill if you land a punish, or a throw right away.

Smoke,s teleport is an evasive tool, in mk9 you could blow it up on reads when wrongly used due the move not being fully invincible during the final part of his animation.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Scorpions moves him full screen doesn't it? Smokes keeps him fairly close eh? If he can phase through and be punished on his recovery I would argue it shouldn't take any stamina. How's that for a plot twist

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Bruh scorpion teleport and SMOKE phase shouldn't even be spoken with the same breath. To different animals here.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
"Does it seem fair that Shinnok's low kick is 7f while Raiden's is 13f? I don't know how I feel about it."

What I'm trying to say is that it's useless to compare two abilities in the vacuum ignoring the rest moves and qualities of those characters.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
The only op thing I've noticed about Smoke's phaze is that it seems to be invulnerable to normal attacks. It's goona be salty.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Teleport is a launching attack, while the smoke phase is an evasive move.

Maybe similar moves should be compared, like Mileena's phase and Smoke's phase...

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I dunno, can Smoke use it to bluff an opener and then with the stamina let over go into run cancel pressure on block?

Because that's what it would mean if we let Scorp keep his stamina.

To be fair maybe Smoke can do some similar shit with the stamina he doesn't spend we don't know yet, but thats irrelevant to Scorpion, because he doesn't need it.

I hate this take on balancing I see CONSTANTLY on this forum. "Another character has this, why is it unfair for mine to have it as well??" Easy answer: because that character doesn't have everything yours has. I think I'm just going to pre-emptively link to this post from now on everytime I see this argument used.

"Shinnok is another character with a decent projectile game and 50/50 mix-ups, how come he gets useable armor but my Quan gets broken by everything???" Because Quan Chi get's like half Shinnok's damage again on everything, has 50/50 vortex resets, a 5 frame extended hitbox NjP, and one of the best openers in the game with B2. Unless you want to give all this shit to Shinnok as well it's not a fair comparison

"Takeda has heaps of reach on his strings too except he gets a Teleport and hard to blockable set-ups, thats unfair for Kung Jin" Ok but he doesnt have a divekick or a mdiscreen 50/50 opener and any of Jin's other bullshit

"Hellfire is another FBC pressure character, he gets a 6 frame poke, so why can't my Liu Kang get that too?" Because Hellfire doesn't have iAFB's, gapless pressure, or footsies like LK

stop comparing individual moves in a vacuum, every character is different, every character NEEDS holes in their game to be balanced otherwise they just have everything, pick the one with the tools you want or just shut the fuck up and accept that maybe your loyalist main doesn't suit the playstyle you are looking for.

Smokes a DLC character
Scorpion is not

So its fair.
Ed Boon: "You're hired!"

:D

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
honestly he doesn't need a change from what we have seen.. and Scorpions works just fine..

we dont even know if its invincible during travel.. might be like tanyas tele, who knows?

and its pretty dumb that it even cost a bar if he can't follow up on it, for all we know its like jasons lake mist getting poke punished.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
The character is not even out yet...come on, man.

And if Scorpion could cancel his teleport with a half bar of stamina, that shit would be ridiculously OP.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
The character is not even out yet...come on, man.

And if Scorpion could cancel his teleport with a half bar of stamina, that shit would be ridiculously OP.
"Ridiculously OP" let's not over do it here, it's half a bar of stamina at the end of the day there's only so far that can go

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I play target combo based games, I can't :(
He meant two shots at teleport cancel to bait out panic buttons

basically scorpion would get to apply teleport pressure twice, relentless teleport cancels just to mark territory, hellfire would come out of 214fbc into tele cancel, never being afraid to wakeup, you would just tele cancel then tele away and stay safe until your stamina refills, scorpion would never get locked in the corner.

Matix218

Get over here!
I don't understand the point of this thread. Both of the moves in question are extremely different so I fail to see why they are even being compared. Plus on top of that we haven't even gotten to play with smoke yet so it is hard to compare something we know about with something we are just speculating about...