What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Does anyone else hate that stigma Scorpion has that he's for beginner players or "noobs"?

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
poster boys will always be easy to pick at a casual level
you can pick JL members in injustice and have some fun
same goes for MK characters
That is not true when it comes to tournament or high level play

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I don't think hellfire and inferno scorpion are biginner friendly, just look at them, technical as it gets

Pearl Monnkey

Mountain Climber
Cause he is noob friendly. Almost every game he's been in he has been the easiest character to pick up from the start.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
You're confusing two separate things--just because a high percentage of new and casual players pick a particular character does not mean the character is beginner/casual friendly. Scorpion is anything but beginner/casual friendly--he gets blown up. Yes, every time someone picks Scorpion I definitely laugh to myself and await the barrage of teleports that I will inevitably full combo punish until a rage quit occurs, but it's only because I know that a lot of beginner/casual players pick Scorpion and not because Scorpion is a beginner/casual player friendly character.
I disagree with that actually. Scorpion is definitely very user friendly and he was also intended to be like that by NRS. I can only think of Ermac as being a more user friendly character. Liu Kang and Cage are probably on par but that's it.

But of course that deos not mean you can win easily with Scorpion. He is 5-5 with most characters and overall mid-low tier.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
@OP

Have you seen high level players play Kabal ? I you have then you can safely "spam" all day knowing that the very best players of MK in the world rely on spamming. Besides, Scorpion is hardly a spammer and he is also low tier. He may be user friendly but ultimately he is a very fair character match-up wise.
You do realize they're not "spamming", right? They're building meter and spacing out.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
You do realize they're not "spamming", right? They're building meter and spacing out.
I know the reason why they do it. But the result is all the same. It's Kabal shooting a couple of fireballs at you every second.

For me, there's nothing wrong with spamming. Ok its not very fun to play against but its done either because it's effective or because the player has limited ability. Either way you have to be ok and just deal with it. I main Sektor and I've always enjoyed playing Noob Saibot for some reason, even though he is a "spammer". Its just a different kind of challenge.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Oh but Scorpion is a vortex character so he must be easy.

COME AT ME BROS

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I don't see how MK9 Scorpion is anything like "noob-friendly". I also don't think we can judge what he's going to be like in MKX.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Scorpion is for noobs because Most people do teleport teleport teleport. Think the American term is braindead. Ed boon believes that mk should be accessible to everyone. Anyone can pick up and play. Scorpion is ed boon's favorite character so it makes sense that Scorpion is braindead.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Scorpion is for noobs because Most people do teleport teleport teleport. Think the American term is braindead. Ed boon believes that mk should be accessible to everyone. Anyone can pick up and play. Scorpion is ed boon's favorite character so it makes sense that Scorpion is braindead.
La tu certeza és brainmuerto

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
But Scorpion has like the worst teleport in the game. And you should know better than myself that in order to be "braindead" character should have a set of safe flowchart moves that actually win you average games. Scorpion doesn't have them, everything he does in pretty unsafe and relies heavily on well-timed reads. Sounds like something exactly opposite to braindead.

I don't even agree with him having easiest combos.

I firmly believe that it's not "Scorpion is noob friendly because of teleport, therefore a lot of people start playing using him and abusing tele", more like "Newcomers pick Scorp because he's iconic character and do stuff with him that they can do at the time".

Last edited:

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
But Scorpion has like the worst teleport in the game. And you should know better than myself that in order to be "braindead" character should have a set of safe flowchart moves that actually win you average games. Scorpion doesn't have them, everything he does in pretty unsafe and relies heavily on well-timed reads. Sounds like something exactly opposite to braindead.

I firmly believe that it's not "Scorpion is noob friendly because of teleport, therefore a lot of people start playing using him and abusing tele", more like "Newcomers pick Scorp because he's iconic character and do stuff with him that they can do at the time".
It's the people who don't understand that Scorpions teleport punch is avoidable by either d1 or by jumping backwards as scorpion is off screen as a reaction. I don't stand high blocking like a lemon.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
See I agree here, Where as I wont go as far as to say he's very high skill I will say there's a High level aspect to him, he's designed simple in reality because casuals to the MK scene just want to play him because he's basically the front man of the game, but when you put your mind to scorpion there's a real level of skill there still.

I hope in MKX they go ahead and really push on characters requiring skill to be able to preform at a high level but retain this simple design for casuals, hopefully the variations will do that automatically for every character.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

Really? Cyrax and CSZ. Really?

Scorpion's teleport is pretty decent, even if it's full combo punishable due to the high followup.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
It's the people who don't understand that Scorpions teleport punch is avoidable by either d1 or by jumping backwards as scorpion is off screen as a reaction. I don't stand high blocking like a lemon.
High block because you can combo punish it...?
It leaves him spinning and you can present damage unto him...? Maybe that's why you do it... none of this D1 or jumping back shit.

trufenix

bye felicia
Everybody in mk is for beginners, the bar for entry is crazy low.

I do love it when people bring high level talk into conversations about low level players though. The average online player has no clue what frame advantage and footsie tools are

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
It leaves him spinning and you can present damage unto him...? Maybe that's why you do it... none of this D1 or jumping back shit.
in mkx does scorpion have a teleport punch or kick? It will have different hit boxes. High blocking is easier and universal but that's what your opponent expects you to do. I'm not saying you should d1 or jump backwards but it's good to mixup reactions as well as mixup kombos to throw your opponents expectations

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Inception.
Gravity.
47 Ronin.
Attack the Block.
The Others.

Inception stars Leonardo Decaprio. Leo and Capricorn are star signs. 'C', the second star sign is the third letter of the anglo saxon english alphabet. 3 zodiac signs from a Leo is Scorpio. The Scorpion.

Gravity, personified by Newton's equation F = Gm1m2/r2 pulls objects down to the earth. Scorpion is from the Netherrealm, a realm beneath the earth, and has used attacks where foes are pulled down in tandem with gravity towards this hellish abode.

47 Ronin: is a film based on a distinct fighting style that can be seen emulated by Scorpion.

Attack the Block:
The 47th second of this video
Sees the lyrics follow a pattern T, A, S, T, T,P, W,M,P,A,G,A,F,F,F,A,A,C,C.
There's
A
Snitch
Tell
The
Pigs
Where
My
Props
Are etc.
This pattern appears in the code when you inspect the element on a browser other than mozilla or internet explorer, and reads, with the capital letters spelling something that looks like σκορπίος, which is Greek for the latin word Scorpios.

The Others: Is a film starring Nicole Kidman. Here's a fun fact: "Nicole Kidman originally tried to persuade Alejandro Amenábar and the Weinstein brothers to find another actress for the part. Coming off the bright and exuberant Moulin Rouge!(2001), the actress was initially reluctant to do a film that explored such dark places." After his decline, she laughed to interviewers as an 'omen' was found in her room; a small scorpion that seemed poisonous. Alejandro assured her that her 'omen' was false due to the fact that it was a prop scorpion.

FOXSOLID is Illuminati. Do not agree or disagree with anything he says about Scorpion. Mods close this topic at once.
God, i love comments by this guy.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Fun fact, that doesn't even combo. American resets all day, I guess :p

Really? Cyrax and CSZ. Really?

Scorpion's teleport is pretty decent, even if it's full combo punishable due to the high followup.
Okay, you've got me. I was mostly considering those to be means to follow up after freeze/net. Was keeping in mind Noob, Ermac, Sector and the like.
Has its uses though, indeed.

Maybe he was referring to EX-teleport.