What's new

General/Other - Scorpion Does anyone else hate that stigma Scorpion has that he's for beginner players or "noobs"?

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
in mkx does scorpion have a teleport punch or kick? It will have different hit boxes. High blocking is easier and universal but that's what your opponent expects you to do. I'm not saying you should d1 or jump backwards but it's good to mixup reactions as well as mixup kombos to throw your opponents expectations
Doesn't matter what the opponent expects you to do because he can do nothing about it. He either eats a full combo or breaks if he can, simple as that. If you can spot a Scorpion tele and have enough life to take the chip damage its absolutely rubbish to do anything else other than block high.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Shouldnt this make the win even more meaningful or is 'you won because my character is harder to use' still a thing online and even if the character is regarded as hard to use to the online community of the game they will just cry about something else like you block too much or you spam combos. You cannot appease these people

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
To be brutally honest, due to his design in MK9 Scorpion is just a bunch of guesses. I wish someone from NRS could explain to me why his D3 remained negative on hit through the duration of the game and was never patched.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Scorpions teleport is actually decent, compare it to Ermac's for example. Never picked up scorpion but after watching a few streams i was able to do similar or even exactly the same combos which means they are easy. He has easy to remember and execute normals, teleport, spear that allows a free hit, unblockable "projectile" and hes an ICONIC CHARACTER. All of this makes him noob friendly in some way. People pick him because they know him.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Answered your own question. What if you don't have enough health to take chip damage?
That's an option, but more risky one, especially online. Although I guess a lot of characters could get good damage off AA d1 or something similar.
Or maybe you conditioned yourself to counterhit it to waste no time telling difference between normal and EX TP, I dunno :p

FOXSOLID

Noob
Just wanna state for the record that Scorpion having a teleport that can full combo punish in MKX is going to be a massive game changer for him.

Don't think this will be an MK9 repeat.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Inception.
Gravity.
47 Ronin.
Attack the Block.
The Others.

Inception stars Leonardo Decaprio. Leo and Capricorn are star signs. 'C', the second star sign is the third letter of the anglo saxon english alphabet. 3 zodiac signs from a Leo is Scorpio. The Scorpion.

Gravity, personified by Newton's equation F = Gm1m2/r2 pulls objects down to the earth. Scorpion is from the Netherrealm, a realm beneath the earth, and has used attacks where foes are pulled down in tandem with gravity towards this hellish abode.

47 Ronin: is a film based on a distinct fighting style that can be seen emulated by Scorpion.

Attack the Block:
The 47th second of this video
Sees the lyrics follow a pattern T, A, S, T, T,P, W,M,P,A,G,A,F,F,F,A,A,C,C.
There's
A
Snitch
Tell
The
Pigs
Where
My
Props
Are etc.
This pattern appears in the code when you inspect the element on a browser other than mozilla or internet explorer, and reads, with the capital letters spelling something that looks like σκορπίος, which is Greek for the latin word Scorpios.

The Others: Is a film starring Nicole Kidman. Here's a fun fact: "Nicole Kidman originally tried to persuade Alejandro Amenábar and the Weinstein brothers to find another actress for the part. Coming off the bright and exuberant Moulin Rouge!(2001), the actress was initially reluctant to do a film that explored such dark places." After his decline, she laughed to interviewers as an 'omen' was found in her room; a small scorpion that seemed poisonous. Alejandro assured her that her 'omen' was false due to the fact that it was a prop scorpion.

FOXSOLID is Illuminati. Do not agree or disagree with anything he says about Scorpion. Mods close this topic at once.

He's not necessarily a beginner character, but he is undoubtedly the most attractive to what you'd call "noobs"

The biggest indication of new and casual players is their penchant for offense. They like to always be attacking, and hate blocking.

Scorpion is the literal embodiment of offense, which is why he's opposite of Sub Zero who is the embodiment of defense.

So he's naturally going to be that character that most inexperienced players will gravitate to. Doesn't mean he is a scrubby character, or a beginner character even, it just explains why he's so popular online. Just because 90% of beginner plays in Injustice jump on Batman doesn't mean he's a derpy character. I mean, he is derpy, but that's not the specific reason...

1. He's NRS's ryu. He's built to be beginner friendly because he's one of the characters that even people who've never played the game know. You don't want your flagship character to be something that requires insane mechanical skill or knowledge to get good with(puppet characters come to mind, or multi stancer's). It's just business.

2. Anyone bitching about that when they lose should be ignored. Your character is easier. So what? You won. Yeah I can beat some Gen users with Dictator because Gen is just harder to use. Oh well? That's something you know going into those characters, and i'm going to play whoever the hell I want for whatever reason I want. I mean fuck grapplers are almost ALWAYS easy to use early on, and get tons of use in early tournaments because it's not worth trying to show up to month one tournaments with someone who's got huge execution barriers when you can do a basic special move motion or a simple bnb for half of their health. Play to win or play to have fun. Either way ignore the scrubs.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Scorpion is easy to pick up if everyone's casual with the game, sure. But winning with Scorpion at a high level is very difficult IMO.

A character that lives and dies by an unsafe 50/50, means you have to make every single hit count, or turn every hit into a 50/50 conversion. That stuff aint easy against insanely good characters!

Just coming from someone who played Scorpion on the side, I'm sure there are others in this thread with a more valid opinion.

This is the same problem that people run into with Superman in IGAU and with Ryu in SF.
The basic character design is pretty straight forward, and becoming competent wth these characters is fairly easy, but doing well with these characters against very strong players of other characters is where skill with these "basic" characters truly starts to shine. Because at that point, the only way to be successful is to make better reads and apply basic principles like footsies BETTER than your opponent.