What's new

Doctor Fate Matchup Discussion

babalook

Noob
I've changed my mind about superman, if he incorporates heat zap into his air laser game he wins the zoning battle, and thus the matchup.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Anyone have tips for the Firestorm mu? I see ppl say it's a winning mu, but I don't run into many
Is it just me or does it seem like Firestorm is one of the least-used characters in the game? Which, if that's the case... all it'll take is for @SonicFox5000 to win a tournament with him.

DrZmmm

Noob
Is it just me or does it seem like Firestorm is one of the least-used characters in the game? Which, if that's the case... all it'll take is for @SonicFox5000 to win a tournament with him.
I think so. And he seems like a pretty good character too. If I didn't hate the inputs for his molten traps I'd definitely play him.

Surprised to have not seen an influx of Black Canary's lately

firestorms movement and inputs are a pain in the ass and hes not really a zoner nor a complete rushdown character so its hard to play as him. hes definitely a character that takes effort which is why lots of players dont use him but he has some potential maybe.

Bruno-NeoSpace

They see me zonin', they hatin'
Anyone have tips for the Firestorm mu? I see ppl say it's a winning mu, but I don't run into many
I think so. And he seems like a pretty good character too. If I didn't hate the inputs for his molten traps I'd definitely play him.

Surprised to have not seen an influx of Black Canary's lately
firestorms movement and inputs are a pain in the ass and hes not really a zoner nor a complete rushdown character so its hard to play as him. hes definitely a character that takes effort which is why lots of players dont use him but he has some potential maybe.
Firestorm is suuuuuuuuuper good! But he takes A LOT of effort and time to work.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Yes, zone him out with Amon ra blast and build yellow ankhs and send the pillars out on him. Watch out for his ex fireball from full screen cause it's 3 frames and knocks down but getting hit by it is okay because it sends you full screen and resets the zoning scenario. Let him ex fireball, you will still win the zoning war. Sometimes crouch block for a second if he is preemptively doing the ex fireball (they will only use it out of desperation from full screen!!) Also watch out for the molten trap check from max range and make sure you block the ex and reversal fireball.

Don't use the orb to freeze him full screen cause he can fireball through it or air dash over it. Freezing the orb in front of you is okay but it's better to use the bdon approach and make sure you save your trait and ankh when some gets it on you so you can tag a dash or a jump in for full meterless damage.

Firestorm is also one of the characters that you can abuse f2xxpush against so be liberal with it. I played this MU a bit with Jonnitti at Summer Jam and we pretty much agreed that it felt like an honest 5-5. Both characters have options against each other

Last edited:

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
I haven't played enough matches against starfire yet. What are you guys doing against her from fullscreen?

Seems like she competitively zones from full screen but we beat her from everywhere else on the screen.

Let me know what your general strategies are against her too. The MU feels a lot like the Firestorm matchup right now, which is an even 5-5 to me but it's too early to tell.

Alkaline

in·jus·tice, noun: a lack of fairness
Seems like she competitively zones from full screen but we beat her from everywhere else on the screen.
i'm curious why you think this. i haven't played any decent starfires yet really so i'm not disputing it. fate's df1 is better, but her trait cancels beat everything. she can throw the fireworks thing which fate has to block, and that gives her room to work. but if you're fullscreen and you see her start to throw it you can forward dash into df1 or w/e. of course she could cancel that into trait and punish, or read the forward dash and throw a closer one.

spooking her into using up trait needlessly and being mindful of how much she has at all times seems like it would be a general approach at fullscreen. but since i haven't played any good starfires, i'm not sure how it would feel if she manages trait super efficiently. without trait she can't win anything though.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
This is my opinion on the MUs

Winning MUs: Swamp thing (7-3), GL (6-4), Black Canary (6-4), Captain cold (7-3), Bane (6-4)

Losing MUs: Deadshot (~3-7), Catwoman (4-6), Batman (4-6)

Everybody else I have going even right now.

**I just think that some of you guys still think fate loses certain MUs because he has to play them differently; cause it's certainly not the case in some MUs

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I don't even know how to play the SG MU. How do I stop her from just bunny hopping and acting like a chimp with ADHD? She has a billion things to do in the air and it's frustrating as fuck, not only that but her grounded game is also extremely good.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
early impressions so far is that Black Manta might be a 5-5 or a 4-6, I need to grind it more.

Basically his footsie game is (soap bar in my mouth) and zoning him is very difficult due to his air mobility and specials.
In my opinion Manta loses to Fate without a doubt, his air specials and mobility are not a threat. He has to win the matches with chip damage and whiff punishes, but it is not enough considering that Fate has a better chip damage game, similar whiff punishing capabilities, and far superior midscreen-fullscreen game

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Why wasn't Scar using float cancels? SG can literally just float up in the air with her hands on her hips, watching you try to hit her like some cuck. I know 3 ankhs can deal with that but she can always punish your ankh summon.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Why wasn't Scar using float cancels? SG can literally just float up in the air with her hands on her hips, watching you try to hit her like some cuck. I know 3 ankhs can deal with that but she can always punish your ankh summon.
The only thing she can punish with Is a laser, I'll take a laser any day for a better trade or a setup

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
So I got to fight Theo's Supergirl today.

Her lasers are just so obnoxious because you never know when they will come out lol.

Gotta make a hard read on her air versions too.