What's new

Doctor Fate Input Settings Pros and Cons

I've been having a lot of issues with certain moves coming out or not coming out at inappropriate times due to the way the game handles inputs. The biggest offenders are getting df2 instead of f2 and not getting fireballs if I input them when I'm already crouching. I decided to try and mess with the setting and what I've found are some pros and cons in terms of their use with Dr Fate.

All off: This seems to be a bad idea for Dr Fate. With both input shortcuts and alternate controls off, you cannot input a fireball from a crouch position without first releasing down, making it more difficult to counter high projectile characters. There is a workaround, however, which is to hold db or df instead of neutral crouching, allowing you to roll the pad/stick to down to begin the input. This control method also has the downside of potentially giving you the healing spell instead of f2 when going for a punish after a block or after crouching in the neutral game.

Input shortcuts on: This seems to be a slight improvement on having all off as it allows you to throw fireballs from a crouch position without first having to let go of down, however there is still the issue of crouching and blocking potentially leading to a healing spell input instead of f2 and it is made even worse by the increased leniency on the special move input.

Alternate controls: Alternate controls seems to me to be the best option here. It is notably less easy to get a fireball with alternate controls than with input shortcuts on and potentially slightly slower, however I feel like that really isn't much of an issue. Alternate controls tackles the issue of crouching and then inputting a fireball by counting the down input towards your quarter circle forward motion - meaning you can input a fireball from a crouch without issue. It also helps stop accidental healing spells when trying to use f2 as a punish or in the neutral. There is one final downside however: When inputting d1xxdb2 (one of Fate's strongest defensive options), the down input is forgotten by the game because it has already been used for a move*. There is a workaround though, which is to input the d1 diagonally as db or df +1, and then rolling the pad/stick to down to begin the db motion.

Note that having both input shortcuts and alternate controls seems to be functionally identical to having only alternate controls on, at least as far as Fate's df and db only movelist.

So I'm going to be settling on alternate controls - at least for the time being. Please let me know if you know any other reasons to use other control methods.

*This only happens if you are already holding down before inputting the d1.