What's new

Doctor Fate General Discussion

Manta

Noob
There really isn't much more to him other than Ankh setups.. his pressure game, zoning and damage are sub-par in comparison to the likes of Black Adam, Deadshot, Batman and Supergirl etc.

I know it's not 'even' week one, and plenty of hidden tech might be discovered ~ but that goes for other characters too, and their 'undiscovered' potential. I feel that if Dr. Fate is better than the currently thought top tiers in some way, we haven't discovered it yet. Let's hope that changes soon, and we find some seriously dirty tricks instead of gimmicks (or NRS gives 'em some nice buffs =)

babalook

Noob
But I've found so many good things with him. Why would you say such a thing?
The only thing that is actually above average with him is his zoning but he loses to basically every other zoner or character with a decent projectile. Nearly all of his ankh pressure is gimmicky as shit or the opponent can just block without any significant risk since his grab range is so bad that he has to dash in before grabbing. I think either making his trait ankhs land where the opponent is or giving him better cancel advantage so could cancel strings into trait or ankh summon safely would improve one of the two things he was clearly meant to be good at but isn't.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Does anyone else use B1D3U3 teleport gimmicks full screen?
Oh and 11 is terrible, the 2nd mid hit always whiffs.
Fullscreen when the opponent is in the corner and trait is active.

Chaos orb-whiff b1d3u3-112-glyph= 300.00+ damage.

If done correctly the overhead from the u3 will hit then the orb will launch. Kind of a gimmick but still worth noting.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
The only thing that bothers me is that you lose the ankhs you've summoned 5 times a game; three times between rounds and twice for clashes.

I kinda wish they stayed in between rounds, but I understand if that's how they want to balance the ankhs because they are his most powerful tool

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
There really isn't much more to him other than Ankh setups.. his pressure game, zoning and damage are sub-par in comparison to the likes of Black Adam, Deadshot, Batman and Supergirl etc.

I know it's not 'even' week one, and plenty of hidden tech might be discovered ~ but that goes for other characters too, and their 'undiscovered' potential. I feel that if Dr. Fate is better than the currently thought top tiers in some way, we haven't discovered it yet. Let's hope that changes soon, and we find some seriously dirty tricks instead of gimmicks (or NRS gives 'em some nice buffs =)
That's why when he gets outzoned by characters like deadshot...you use healing orb and make them come to you.

TamedLizard

Buff George
Ankhs also disappear if you get hit into an arena transition. :/

But god this character is so fun and flashy as hell. Just one thing though....

I really wish intractable lock was gear and air Amun Ra blast was left in his core kit.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
i know the traited ankhs are where the party is at but im a really big fan of mbdf1 to triple golden ankhs when opponent full screen to lock them into taking the beam. full screen frame traps are always fun :)

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Ankhs also disappear if you get hit into an arena transition. :/

But god this character is so fun and flashy as hell. Just one thing though....

I really wish intractable lock was gear and air Amun Ra blast was left in his core kit.
I agree I thought he was gonna have the air fireballs to reinforce his ground game, but he actually has nothing to reinforce it

thlityoursloat

kick kick
^never happened to me.

Does anyone have advice for the Supergirl matchup? I literally can't do shit against her, displacer orb is completely useless, setting up ankhs is risky, I can't trade, and I can't for one second get overzealous with tossing out my projectiles.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I got some more stuff to share with you guys that has been extremely successful. Check it out:

The major problem with the midscreen throw setup is it only works on crouching opponents, otherwise they can just walk back. However, you can counter this by doing a MB roll and ending up BEHIND them, or go for plus frames with a F3. Obviously they can wakeup out of this but you can punish with a throw or a string of your choosing if the move is negative enough.

One Ankh is insanely powerful. :cool:

@PLAYING TO WIN
@1man3letters
@DownfouralitY
@Skeezer12
@RexxyC
@PND_Ketchup
@Dankster Morgan
@DC4-3
@babalook
@TheRealOnlyGoonie
@Kooron Nation

babalook

Noob
My main problem with ankh's right now is that every time you summon one you could have put a db1 on screen or gone into trait, so you're sacrificing your keep away game for something that in my opinion is not nearly rewarding enough. I think ankhs are more flashy than they are useful, and from what I've seen a lot of Dr fates lose matches because they want to do cool stuff with ankhs rather than laming it out. I think ankh summon should be cancelable into a special like his trait, it would create a mixup where he could either cancel into another summon or a fireball kinda like what sinestro could do with his trait charge. This character makes me miss sinestro something fierce.

TeknoOdin

DR. GreenBaneFateArrCrow
as some one who mained shang tsung and shinnok for their projectile juggling goodness (more shang than shin) im really loving fate he has the zone capabilities and the ability to begin that juggle game i love so well only got the one combo with him so it's weak it 299.70 plus the chip of 25.97 or if they don block it or extra 110 if the orb hits but it's so fun

Last edited:
My fellow docs, how's do you guys deal with Superman, and Supergirl? What's the best combo to punish tell without meter? And how do you deal with Supes f23 and their float in general?

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
Hey guys can we agree to elevate ourselves above the other character communities by not asking for buffs for our character day/week 1?

Instead let's roll our sleeves up, figure out our MUs and discover godlike tech.

Sorry but tym is just a scrubfest right now and I want to give it a little redemption and good things come to those who wait.

We're Fate mains, so let's bring Order where there is Chaos. Thanks guys, much appreciated

babalook

Noob
This character just feels so incomplete to me, and I've been playing FG, and IGAU in particular, long enough to spot a shit character. Is it not clear that this character loses not only up close but also in a zoning battle against deadshot, ivy atrocitus, superman, green lantern, supergirl, firestorm, cyborg, and black adam. Does any character in the game have worse normals than him, literally his only safe string is 11. I will admit f2 into glyph is a good tool but I could easily name 10 other moves that have that range, more safety, and are hit confirmable into combos.

This character just feels so incomplete to me, and I've been playing FG, and IGAU in particular, long enough to spot a shit character. Is it not clear that this character loses not only up close but also in a zoning battle against deadshot, ivy atrocitus, superman, green lantern, supergirl, firestorm, cyborg, and black adam. Does any character in the game have worse normals than him, literally his only safe string is 11. I will admit f2 into glyph is a good tool but I could easily name 10 other moves that have that range, more safety, and are hit confirmable into combos.
If you are losing up close and at long range then it might be time to explore...
the mid-range
Seriously though I haven't played many of those matchups much but I think fate beats deadshot at midrange. F2 is a godlike poke/whiff punisher.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
Not tryna be a dick but i think the problem is with u not the character. Dr.fate zones out all those characters you just named except for like superman(even then goes back forth IMO) possibly supergirl and greenlantern since i havent played these MU's. Im positive that dr.fate can match up against deadshots zoning. It all comes down to whoever can get the life lead first in that match up. In most of these zoning match ups honestly. But still, once you turn on trait in a zoning war, your opponent has to respect the trait or they'll lose the life lead fast by trading.

babalook

Noob
If you are losing up close and at long range then it might be time to explore...
the mid-range
Seriously though I haven't played many of those matchups much but I think fate beats deadshot at midrange. F2 is a godlike poke/whiff punisher.
F2 is good, not great, and the problem is that it is his only good normal. Also, ur not guna beat a good deadshot by playing the footsies game, his gun shot has quick enough recovery that it can be used to beat f2's tip range and if you get any closer he has a long ranged low starter that he can stagger (-1) and an overhead both of which leave you full screen.

babalook

Noob
Not tryna be a dick but i think the problem is with u not the character. Dr.fate zones out all those characters you just named except for like superman(even then goes back forth IMO) possibly supergirl and greenlantern since i havent played these MU's. Im positive that dr.fate can match up against deadshots zoning. It all comes down to whoever can get the life lead first in that match up. In most of these zoning match ups honestly. But still, once you turn on trait in a zoning war, your opponent has to respect the trait or they'll lose the life lead fast by trading.
Even if he does go even with deadshot in zoning (which I don't agree with) he definitely loses up close. Do you honestly think this character is good enough to be top 10? Worst grab/d1 range in the game, mediocre antiairs, zoning game good but not amazing, no 50/50, no advantage on block strings, no advantage on block MB special, no hit confirmable normal into combo, shit damage, mediocre corner game, no restand, and no safe special to cancel into (I know glyph might as well be safe at tip range, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for some of the other characters' safe on block specials). I'm not saying the character is unusable or that I don't win with him, but I do think as people get more comfortable with the matchup, his flaws will become glaringly apparent.

I have been seeing videos of fate's final punishment traps exploding right to left (so it brings the opponent towards him), when I can only get mine to explode left to right... what the hell am I missing? For example, skip to 1:58 in this video