What's new

Do you want variations in MK12?

Should variations return in MK12?

• Yes - Just variations (MKX)

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Yes - but I want variations to be tournament and customs casual (MK11)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • No - I want customs to be the standard

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • No - 1 version of each character (MK9)

Votes: 110 76.9%

• Total voters
MKX was not my style at all and therefore I didn't enjoy it, even though it's superior in some ways over 11. As much I'd want 11 to be different, it's gameplay is hard to argue with though it does lack serious depth and variety.

It would be interesting if variations were more of a universal system that changed up things like how the meter works and what you have access to ala CvS2 Grooves. At least then you can keep variety of playstyles more under control while giving complete move sets to characters.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Poll is kinda weird.

Anyway, I would love for MK12 to have kustom variations and those be the tournament standard. Or at the very LEAST have a ranked mode that allows kustom variations. Like you could have a “tournament rules ranked mode”, and a “kustom variations ranked mode”. I would be willing to make that compromise tbh.

Spinky

Restless Dreamer
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It was a fun gimmick, they put in an honest attempt to make it work and they (mostly) failed. Please just move on.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
HELL NO!!

It's old already, make it so that everyone is unique like UMK3, MK 9 etc

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Ed said at the start that they may or not be used for competitive play, that they were still deciding, and that he was leaning against it in favor of having standard variations for competitive play.

It was people here spreading misinformation that they’d definitely be in comp, but that’s not actually what the company said since Day 1.
You are right, they were up-front about the custom/standard issue.
Regardless, they went in the wrong direction, IMO. Should have focused on a system that supported the custom character as competitive.
I’m not exactly sure how, but others have suggested viable ways.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Maybe I came across as snarky. I'm serious, what in your opinion separates a variation character and a complete character. It's a consistent talking point among many people that is vague and nebulous.
Mk9 kung Lao shits on mkx and mk11 kung Lao. Can't get more simple than that man....

Complete character vs neutered character

Variation system killed this game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Mk9 kung Lao shits on mkx and mk11 kung Lao. Can't get more simple than that man....

Complete character vs neutered character

Variation system killed this game.
So by this logic, since MKX Kano much is better than MK9 Kano, the variation system is what saved him. And Ermac too.

Hmmm.... :coffee:

Not sure about this kind of linear reasoning.

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
So by this logic, since MKX Kano much is better than MK9 Kano, the variation system is what saved him.

Hmmm.... :coffee:
You just proved my point even further. The variation system has a random way of helping and hurting others. You can tell where there creativity went with some variations like Kano for example then look at a character like reptile. His variations were lazy imo when they revealed them on stream back then. The variation system is a overall mess in the since of balance mkx had over 100 characters no way in hell they couldn't balance all of them because if the system.

I’m not exactly sure how, but others have suggested viable ways.
Allegedly viable ways.

It's quite easy to sit here and type away about all the things that could/should have been done. It's another thing when you're the one responsible for making sure it all works properly so that you don't have people with their pitch forks out criticising you for every little thing that they can apparently do better.

Let's not bullshit here, we all know if customs was a thing, sure some people would be happier, but there'd be just as much complaints, if not more, because of balance issues, lack of options for abilities, some characters with better ones etc...

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Allegedly viable ways.

It's quite easy to sit here and type away about all the things that could/should have been done. It's another thing when you're the one responsible for making sure it all works properly so that you don't have people with their pitch forks out criticising you for every little thing that they can apparently do better.

Let's not bullshit here, we all know if customs was a thing, sure some people would be happier, but there'd be just as much complaints, if not more, because of balance issues, lack of options for abilities, some characters with better ones etc...
I respectfully disagree. Especially with that middle bit.
Furthermore, you’re a hairy & lonely
Reefer junkie who spends too much time with those “musicians” under the bridge.
Get right with God.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Especially with that middle bit.
Which is your right, and it is a discussion forum.

Furthermore, you’re a hairy & lonely
Reefer junkie who spends to much time with those “musicians” under the bridge.
Get right with God.
Going for personal attacks because you can't respond with a reasonable rebuttal ... stay classy bud.

At least the 2nd part of your custom title is apt.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Which is your right, and it is a discussion forum.

Going for personal attacks because you can't respond with a reasonable rebuttal ... stay classy bud.

At least the 2nd part of your custom title is apt.
Truth is my armor, heathen.

Last edited: