What's new

Do you think specials are useless in UMK3?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
A lot of people say specials are useless in UMK3. I would like your opinion on why you think they are, or are not useless.

I do not think they are useless. I think some are, but overall or in general, specials are very useful in UMK3. This really came to my attention in MKAK. Sometimes specials get randomly disabled because the MKAK is a broken piece of garbage. And I never am able to win when they get disabled and I feel severely limited. The only character(s) that I think have a chance of winning without specials is Noob in the hacked version, Kabal and maybe Human Smoke. Mind you, when my specials have been disabled in MKAK it's always been with Kabal, and I can never win.

MKK hanzo

A lot of people say specials are useless in UMK3. I would like your opinion on why you think they are, or are not useless.

I do not think they are useless. I think some are, but overall or in general, specials are very useful in UMK3. This really came to my attention in MKAK. Sometimes specials get randomly disabled because the MKAK is a broken piece of garbage. And I never am able to win when they get disabled and I feel severely limited. The only character(s) that I think have a chance of winning without specials is Noob in the hacked version, Kabal and maybe Human Smoke. Mind you, when my specials have been disabled in MKAK it's always been with Kabal, and I can never win.
Of course they are useful. No one can 100% gjab. Sometimes you get outzoned and have to jump/move/teleport and its there where specials shine. Anti airs spin dash or shadow ram, sweep punishers, or even combos. Lol the specials are a MUST use in this game.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Okay. Say we have two player on equal level. One chooses Kabal, the other Sheeva. The Kabal player uses only normals (this includes jabs), while the Sheeva player uses both normals and specials. Considering this situation and provided that Kabal vs Sheeva is a 7-3 match-up, how do you see this match-up playing out? Is it more of a 6-4 now? Is it now even? Or do you even think that now Sheeva has the advantage in the match-up?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
There are useful specials like Robot Smoke's invisibility, Kitana's iAF, Nightwolf's shoulder, and some others. But overall I don't see a reason to use a majority of the specials in the game.
So would you say there's more useless specials then useful ones?

MKK hanzo

Okay. Say we have two player on equal level. One chooses Kabal, the other Sheeva. The Kabal player uses only normals (this includes jabs), while the Sheeva player uses both normals and specials. Considering this situation and provided that Kabal vs Sheeva is a 7-3 match-up, how do you see this match-up playing out? Is it more of a 6-4 now? Is it now even? Or do you even think that now Sheeva has the advantage in the match-up?
Kabal would have the upper hand due to the easy relaunch threat or the corner punch inf wich is easier on sheeva.

On the other hand, what could Noob do vs Kitana for example? He cant relauncher easily nor have any answer for her shenanigans, or even her jabs alone. Iaf is very good against anyone.

Juggs:

Do a realistic list of specials and their usesfulness. Range them from 1 to 5 or smething .

Example:

Ermac

Teleport: 4/5 can be punished if scouted, super useful to escape situations and punishing back jumps or to extend combos. Activates dmg.protection. Etc

Tlk Slam: 4/5 mostly useful in combos. Leaves wide open if blocked. Can be used sometimes to catch ppl off guard. Dont activate dmg prot.

Green ball: 3/5 recovers fast so it can zone a bit, has some startup. To punish it you must be very close. Useless in combos cause there are more damaging options, cant be used to extend combos unless spexific setups are arranged but the damage is not worth it. Etc

See? 3 moves that are useful, its just that in these games you just DONT throw specials waiting for them to win the match and thats it.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

Absolutely not useless. The rainbow of ninjas would be nothing more than a rainbow of ninjas without them. One of the most important reasons Kabal is top tier is because of his spin imo.

Green ball: 3/5 recovers fast so it can zone a bit, has some startup. To punish it you must be very close. Useless in combos cause there are more damaging options, cant be used to extend combos unless spexific setups are arranged but the damage is not worth it. Etc
I'd have to disagree about the green fireball being useless in combos. There have been plenty of times in which I could tell early in an Ermac juggle that I mistimed aa punches, so I would probably miss a JK to end the combo. I throw a fireball to catch the opponent because he/she is too far away.

Dark_Rob

Noob
There are useful specials like Robot Smoke's invisibility, Kitana's iAF, Nightwolf's shoulder, and some others. But overall I don't see a reason to use a majority of the specials in the game.
I agree with REO here. The important thing to forget about here is combos. All characters special moves have uses in combos and I dont feel thats what Juggs is asking. Hes asking about in the neutral game are special moves useless or mostly useless? I would say yes,mostly. Lets look at REO's list of moves here and see why they arent useless. Its directly tied into what this game is all about,safe rushdown. Glitch/Kara jabbing is obviously the most dominant tactic in the neutral game. Does anyone still argue this?(And Im not getting into the argument that this makes the game bad/broken, good or bad, Im just stating it as a fact) Im pretty sure I have heard either Juggs or REO say if your not using kara jabs, your not beating them.
Anyway back to the special moves. Kitanas IAF will trigger her opponents block,stop them from advancing while giving her the opportunity to advance, Nightwolfs shoulder likewise will trigger his opponents block and is advantage on block allowing him to start his rushdown. Invisibility? DUH. Invisiblility is so much better in UMK3 than in MK9. You go fully invisible, its doesnt cost any meter.(meter? whats that?) and there is no time limit on it, you have to touch them to get them out of it. Rushdown is the whole basis of this game and special moves like these that allow you to start it for free is what makes them good. A long time ago everyone felt Kabal's spin was the best move. I dont think it is, not in the kara jab world. You just cant risk throwing unsafe moves like that out anymore because at the highest level your opponent is always,or mostly always blocking. And Kabals spin gets blown up on block. That said, Kabals jab priority probably still makes him the best or one of the best charactes in the game.

You youngsters have changed the game so dramatically at the highest level I dont even recognize it anymore lol. But hey, you know, evolve or die right?

AC1984

Kaballin!
Kabal's spin, NW's tackle, Ninja teleports (transportation device only), reptile force balls, Kitana IAF, Jax' double fire ball and invisibility are the most useful specials in the game....against a top player (Kara jabber) the rest of the moves aren't really that effective....

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Kabal's spin, NW's tackle, Ninja teleports (transportation device only), reptile force balls, Kitana IAF, Jax' double fire ball and invisibility are the most useful specials in the game....against a top player (Kara jabber) the rest of the moves aren't really that effective....
I want to add Mileena's IAS, Kang and Kabal's IAF, Sub's Ice Clone, Jade's Glow Kick. Also Lao's Spin and Stryker's Baton Throw are also still very effective as AA.

Obviously unblockables as well : Sheeva's Stomps, Ice Puddle, Cyrax's Bombs.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
The one Who says Projectiles in UMK3 are useless are the one who start they attack with one as 1st choice.

NEVER Start your game spamming around, besides, i don't think that game was made to use keep away Tatics.
LOL i get so tired of chasing people who want to play "Let's Zone" in a rushdown-based game. Leave it to the little pussies who can'[t fight to play "run-away" for 30 minutes lmao. Sorry-ass dudes

Remz

https//:wavenet.remz.ca
I got back into this game few weeks ago and I got much better than I was in 2010. The reason is that I play a very different style now and the more I play this game, the more I realize that many many special moves are just too unsafe to use. I think that any female ninjas are awesome even without any special moves because this game is really about jabs and knees.