What's new

Do we need to be able switch characters mid set?

Honestly, I believe switching characters after losing promotes degeneracy online. I've had so many matches where the opponent would lose the first game, then make me sit through all 90 seconds of rematch and character select screen just for them to hidden cursor counterpick. Even worse if your opponent wins the first game, you switch to a counter and win, then they switch to a counter to your counter. If it were up to me? Just pick a character before the set and just play.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Sounds like you gotta keep your head cool lol tournaments are just as counter-picky. Always has been. In most offline events, you can have a TO come by and perform a blind pick for both players. You would tell me who you'd pick, then your opponent would tell me who they are going to pick, then you guys would have to pick those characters (not knowing who the other one selected) but after that, its fair counter-picking game.

WA-Finest

>>WILL SLIDE IN NEUTRAL<<
The gamble is if you're the first to win the set and your opponent swaps after that game and beats you, you can swap to a better matchup and they might have no idea how you'll play the character for the final match in the set.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I understand the complaint as far as purposely wasting time online. That’s happened to me occasionally where the opponent will take the maximum amount of time. I agree that’s annoying as hell.

But as far as counterpicking, nothing wrong with that in ranked. I actually love counterpickers, because those are typically the MU’s I know the most and it also helps me further practice those MU’s. I have more of a struggle facing characters people hardly ever use, as I’m nowhere near as familiar with that particular MU.

But, I definitely wouldn’t mind NRS handling it similar to how games like SFV handle it. Where you choose a character before you even match with someone. Aka there’s not even access to the select screen during sets. At least I think that’s how it works. I think I’d be okay with that because it would make everything much faster.

Yeah a blind pick for first game would be great, nothing more fun than people who try to counter pick you at character select for 90 seconds on game one. (Yes there is hidden select but I am an idiot and have gotten it wrong enough times to be wary of doing it).

Past that first game, counter picking is just fighting games.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It makes total sense because it emulates tournaments (you could even do hidden select) and that's going to prepare you for it. But personally, I would play ranked more if it was character locked. It would be much faster and we'd avoid some of the sillyness in character select.

But I'm not a ranked guy, player match does what I need it to.

Hot_DNA

Noob
I understand the complaint as far as purposely wasting time online. That’s happened to me occasionally where the opponent will take the maximum amount of time. I agree that’s annoying as hell.

But as far as counterpicking, nothing wrong with that in ranked. I actually love counterpickers, because those are typically the MU’s I know the most and it also helps me further practice those MU’s. I have more of a struggle facing characters people hardly ever use, as I’m nowhere near as familiar with that particular MU.

But, I definitely wouldn’t mind NRS handling it similar to how games like SFV handle it. Where you choose a character before you even match with someone. Aka there’s not even access to the select screen during sets. At least I think that’s how it works. I think I’d be okay with that because it would make everything much faster.
Facts, I ALWAYS get counterpicked(I main jade) by players who choose Scorpion or Shang and I just laugh because I know those matchups the best hahahaha

I apologize every one! I didn't mean as this to apply to tournaments because money is on the line. But online for 50 points at a time?

I'd be cool with a blind pick. I'll give that a shot today and see how my opponents respond. Even though I'm sure they'll assume I picked sheeva.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Honestly, I believe switching characters after losing promotes degeneracy online. I've had so many matches where the opponent would lose the first game, then make me sit through all 90 seconds of rematch and character select screen just for them to hidden cursor counterpick. Even worse if your opponent wins the first game, you switch to a counter and win, then they switch to a counter to your counter. If it were up to me? Just pick a character before the set and just play.
If someone makes you wait for the character select to time out, take it as a compliment; they're acting petty and childish, which means you rattled them and you have the mental edge. Don't let them rattle you back; that's what they want. Just get in the habit of practicing some deep breathing while you wait, or distract yourself with something else.

As for counter-picking your counter-pick, that's just a known privilege that goes to the person who won the first match. Not meant to sound cold, but if you want to stop it from happening, you've got to be the one who wins first.

Agreed that the first pick should be blind though. I think it's fine for you to see your opponent's name (you should get the advantage of your player knowledge), but you should select your first character on different screens. It might also be interesting if you get to see each other's selections (now locked in) before picking your variation though; that incentivizes you to think about different MUs in advance and be prepared with different loadouts.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Hidden select has been pointless in recent nrs games mostly because if you memorize the variations and abilities of each character they're usually listed right before the match starts which exposes what you'll be fighting against. It's your job as a player to overcome the obstacle if its a bad match up and doing so makes you a better player if you succeed. If you fail that just means you need to study your character your opponents character and also your faults and how the person plays with that character. You can also have a alternative character which doesn't necessarily have to be a counter pick but one whos even or is a uncommon character that the opponent may not be use too.

Learn to tolerate and ignore those type of mind games if you beat them a round you can do it again.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hidden select has been pointless in recent nrs games mostly because if you memorize the variations and abilities of each character they're usually listed right before the match starts which exposes what you'll be fighting against. It's your job as a player to overcome the obstacle if its a bad match up and doing so makes you a better player if you succeed. If you fail that just means you need to study your character your opponents character and also your faults and how the person plays with that character. You can also have a alternative character which doesn't necessarily have to be a counter pick but one whos even or is a uncommon character that the opponent may not be use too.

Learn to tolerate and ignore those type of mind games if you beat them a round you can do it again.
I think people misunderstand.. Hidden select isn’t so people will never know what character you’re picking, it’s so they can’t strategize against you by waiting for you to pick before they pick.

3 extra seconds of time isn’t going to make a difference either way — any more than letting the intros play out would.

I also would like to clarify that I try to limit my complaints about the game to actual issues and keep the petty stuff from bothering me. I play a defensive style and characters that compliment that style. Usually play characters that have a setup type move (blood ball, sai toss, cryogenic crown) and 9/10 if I win first game I get the scorpion switch.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
I think people misunderstand.. Hidden select isn’t so people will never know what character you’re picking, it’s so they can’t strategize against you by waiting for you to pick before they pick.

3 extra seconds of time isn’t going to make a difference either way — any more than letting the intros play out would.
Not being able to strategize falls in line with not knowing what character they're picking. When it comes to mk11 rank mode, if you win you can't change your character. So the only reasons for the opponent to wait and use the hide select cursor would be to antagonize you and make sure you wouldn't know what character and variation he planned on using against you in the following round but you can figure that out before the match starts If you know the characters variations regardless if they pick the same character or counter pick. It's still a pointless feature.

According to my opponents the galaxy brain move is to use hidden select after I've already locked in and am waiting for you to stop goofing around in there.

Last edited: