What's new

Dirtbag Kano Setups and Misc Tech...

Glad this was finally made. Absolutely love how fun it can be despite the controversy.

Been trying to use Chemical Burn as an anti-air and it's successful in that regard but you have to time it correctly.

22 -> Vege-Mighty -> Kano Ball is uninteruptable on block. It's risky but it's something. When people expect it, they'll hold block and you can go for grabs right after Vege instead.

Last edited:

okhuskerfan

PSN: B1G-Husker
Been taking a lot of L's with this variation, but it's so much fun to play. If you can get that corner setup, it can be disgusting damage.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Hey i dont know if this is known but you can cancel mighty verge into kano ball on hit and itll combo with any starting string

ALSO if the buff is up kano balls have a hit of projectile armor

So I believe this was definitely already mentioned some where in the general Kano thread but when you either anti-air with S4, do S4 after hitting someone with B2 and then follow up with a S4, you can do far away Molotov and if you’re up against someone like Jacqui, Kano, Sub, or any of those characters with fast advancing specials, you can block in time and punish. This also applies to Kano’s U2 wake up.

I’ve been anti-airing successfully with S4 recently and then immediately cancelling into Molotov. I have not tested it out against Scorpion’s teleport, but I will today when I get a chance. However, I’m so positive you can block the tele in time. Going to try it out against Geras’s Ground trap special, and Cetrion’s Water trap special as well. I’ll also test against fast Fatal Blows as well.

So you can actually apply some good pressure, in my opinion, with this setup (provided you’ve conditioned your opponent to stay across the screen in fear of having their advancing specials blocked or advancing strings whiff punished):

A) Dash back after throwing the Molotov, and zone with your knives while they take the Moly damage.
B) Expect that they will dash forward and try to hit you with a lengthy string and jump immediately to cancel into an Air Kano Ball to get good hit advantage and a slight push back towards the Moly.
C) Similar to B, whiff punish them with Kano Ball if they start advancing towards you and away from the Far Moly. Kano Ball is insanely good at pushing people towards the flames.
D) If they decide to advance on you slowly, you can try to whiff punish them with Chemical Burn or you can even try to go for 21 into Chemical Burn. Whatever scenario, use Kano Ball or Ex Kano Ball to push them back into the flames.
E) Once they’re in the flames and they don’t decide to use meter to wake up or tech roll, you can play around with D1. D1 into either Chemical Burn or D1 into Grab if they expect the Chemical Burn. If they get hit with the Grab, depending on where you are on top of the flames, you’re looking at a 150-170 damaging grab. Another thing to keep in mind is that Kano has a KB in his grab where if the first grab you hit them with was a failed tech escape, the second grab you hit them with deals 320-360 damage I think. So although unsafe and/or risky, it’s still pressure if you condition it well with his D1. You can simply D1, back up, and do his lengthy B4.
F) If you feel lucky, you can try to hit them on block with 22 into Vege-Mighty. Like I said in my original comment on here a while ago, it’s uninterruptible and it’s also uninterruptible when you special cancel into Armored Kano Ball right after you use Vege. So while on the flames, the opponent will have to guess whether or not you’ll go into an Armored Kano Ball or a Grab. I have grabbed so many people right after Vege-Mighty because they expect the Ball. So you will either get a tiny bit more damage for either move because of the flames you both are on top of. If they get burned up from the Burn and Moly combo, you can follow up with a safe B3 mid check or check them with a Knife projectile.

Now obviously this is not a perfect scenario since there are wake up options in the game that your opponent can use any time to prevent any of this pressure. However, you can learn to read and bait out their wake up options and punish them severely.

I will update this soon once I try out the setup against other characters in practice mode.

If anything here sounds incoherent, I apologize. Please let me know if I need to elaborate or make a correction(s). I’m sorry also if this is very lengthy. I felt like this was worth a long and informative description. At least I hope it was informative enough.

Last edited:
This video shows that Kano is safe after S4 AA into Far Molotov. Applies to Liu Kang's Kick too. When your opponent decides not to get up and use a fast special, you can start pressuring them back into the flames. Either that or dash back and Knife Toss zone while they burn. It's not in the video, but if you anticipate Geras's Sand Trap, you can jump up or foward after Moly and the Sand Trap will whiff. I know this isn't always going to happen but it can happen.
P.S - Vege-Mighty for your Air Ball helps this set up even more.

Last edited: