What's new

Dink's final detailed Quan MU chart

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
sorry ive never played you or him but my friend has played sup and he thinks the match is actually more along 7-3 @xSMoKEx and why would my arguement be invalid.. we arent talkin about players or tournaments etc etc.. we are talkin about matchups between characters.
If your friend is xsmokex i would gladly appreciate his opinion and take it seriously. hes the best smoke

STB Shujinkydink

Because of walk speed? Lol. Ok smoke has way better footsies, has way more meter adv which means quan's whole rune trap game is irrelevant. Blocked trance or tele = 80%
Blocked trance at max distance = sb punish for 31 or more with reset. His mix ups r ass and can be reacted easily offline. Better footsies, anti zoning, more meter, better normals, great meterless damage and resets which force u to break and if u don't then it's ur funeral. Now please tell me something other than walk speed that could at least make this match up 7-3 smoke cuz it looks like 8-2. Quan has NOTHING on smoke
He has nothing up close. quan wins

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
If your friend is xsmokex i would gladly appreciate his opinion and take it seriously. hes the best smoke
ya hes my friend and the person who taught me how to play smoke lol.. but like i said i think it *could* be a 6-4 at worst 7-3 i still think quans viable man. It's def tough for him though its not easy

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
NW and Sindel are both 5-5 the only place sindel may beat him is on rooftop or other big stages other than that her type of zoning still isnt good enough to give her the adv her massive hitbox his tiny one also. Zoning just isnt that great in mk unless youre kenshi kabal freddy.

wheres the argument here?
I could just list a few things on y I got reptile beating quan:
*better footsies
*better mobility
*hard to lock down to set up rune trap because reptile can go all over the place with his dash
*doesn't even need to use projectiles much bcuz up close, quan doesn't have much
*better wakeups
I mean, if quan can get the rune trap (like in all matchups), he's in good hands. But the issue is, it won't be easy locking reptile down with quan.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
wheres the argument here?
Being able to punish slide is a pointless argument because Reptile will almost never use slide in the first place. Reptile outfootsies Quan by a considerable margin due to d4 and his backwalk, and you won't always reaction trade forceballs, considering EX ones exist and are considerably faster, and will result in Quan being punished if he decides to try to trade with the fast one. Plus Quan Chi is not containing Reptile in any way with shit like skulls (any respectable Reptile at this point should have duckdashing down like it's walking). Yeah you can telestomp EX forceballs too, but IIRC, only backwards will work since right on top still gets you hit by the EX one if it's charged.

It's not advantage for Quan at all. Even? I'll give him that, but anything in favor of Quan, no way.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Yeah I honestly feel like Smoke vs. Quan is definitely in Smoke's favour.

Quan doesn't have anything particular that lets him get in on smoke for free like some other characters might, even his teleport gets caught my smoke balls unfortunately :( Quan's footsies are decent, and while F12 is a nice spacing tool it's still outshined by Smoke's footsies. Not to mention F12 is death on whiff, where as my B2 is relatively safe on whiff.

Any blocked trance is being punished 40% meterless into an oki set up, if not a 70-80% reset. Overall, Smoke not only builds the meter easier in this match up due to actually being able to throw projectiles, but he also gets the biggest bang for his buck. Quan's rune trap costs three bars to do what is roughly the same as a 1 bar reset combo. Although, to Quan's credit the rune trap is slightly more practical because you don't even need to hit me, it's just guaranteed as soon as you touch me :p

Then there's just the basic tier differences, Smoke has better core tools like anti airs for instance, his ability to convert into a combo off of pretty much anything, higher meterless damage, no gaps in his main strings (quan has the nasty B31+2 gap unfortunately).

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
how does a poormans kabal (liu kang) do better than the Real Kabal? i fail to understand how this is so.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Looks like I should ask this somewhere else, but you say that Quan 2-8 Liu because of (basically) zoning game of the latter. However, against, say, Kabal it's much more even. My question is what's of note about Liu's fireballs that makes them more useful to keep Quan at bay than other known zoning tools (esp. with characters that can zone to gain meter, then try to go in, just like you're suggesting, not just Kabal, but also Kitana, plus you have "real" zoners as less hopeless cases than Liu too...)?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sektor doesn't need to take risks. If Quan Chi throws out a trance he's as good as dead. Just stay outside trance range and zone, or just get in and use quicker strings to pressure Quan. Also, what is a shower missile? I agree if Quan gets the trance trade it obviously works to his advantage but Sektor doesn't need to risk throwing out missiles or flame burner etc. Not to mention, Sektor has a huge advantage on knockdown situations, considering he is one of the best set-up characters in the game on top of Quan Chi having one of the weakest wake-up games.
Who said anything about flame throwers? :p That's good for other characters or ones without fast teleports though ;) I'm just referring to zoning QC is more difficult then other characters with Sektor, if the QC is actually good you have to hope you can punish QC's head stomp which a QC that knows what he's doing won't just toss out at random. Since his trance on trade favors QC....The only way QC gets punished by Sektor is on blocked teleport or blocked Trance, do a teleport. Shower missle? Missle from above, the one he shoots in the air aka rising missle.

Granted, keep in mind the two QC players I'm referring to happen to live very, very far where sadly it lags a lot which I'm sure contributes(though playable still it definitely plays a role) especially the guy I played from Cali, he seemed safe on everything way back forget his name. (I'm in NYC) the other from Canada so sadly the connection isn't as crisp :(

It's actually one reason why online I tend to not play people from Mexico, Chili, Canada or Europe because half the time the connection sucks or discos anyway.

There is another good QC player, friend of mine female player named skullface. Her I can connect with a little better but even she lives in mid usa.

Do you play on Xbox or PS? Have you played Shujinky's QC? or girl named skullface? Their QC's will give you a rough time.

Last edited:

STB Shujinkydink

Looks like I should ask this somewhere else, but you say that Quan 2-8 Liu because of (basically) zoning game of the latter. However, against, say, Kabal it's much more even. My question is what's of note about Liu's fireballs that makes them more useful to keep Quan at bay than other known zoning tools (esp. with characters that can zone to gain meter, then try to go in, just like you're suggesting, not just Kabal, but also Kitana, plus you have "real" zoners as less hopeless cases than Liu too...)?

A good question. Liu kangs mixups give him a free combo that is going to do moderate to high damage and push him into the corner where quan struggles. Kaballs mixups are saw and hooks, both of which do less damage than Liu kangs mixups and end pressure as saw and hooks push you away.

NKZero

Noob
Who said anything flame throwers? That's good for other characters or ones without fast teleports though ;) I'm just referring to zoning QC is more difficult then other characters with Sektor, if the QC is actually good you have to hope you can punish QC's head stomp which a QC that knows what he's doing won't just toss out at random. Since his trance on trade favors QC....The only way QC gets punished by Sektor is on blocked teleport or blocked Trance, do a teleport. Shower missle? Missle from above, the one he shoots in the air aka rising missle.

Granted, keep in mind the two QC players I'm referring to happen to live very, very far where sadly it lags a lot which I'm sure contributes(though playable still it definitely plays a role) especially the guy I played from Cali, he seemed safe on everything way back forget his name. (I'm in NYC) the other from Canada so sadly the connection isn't as crisp :(

It's actually one reason why online I tend to not play people from Mexico, Chili, Canada or Europe because half the time the connection sucks or discos anyway.

There is another good QC player, friend of mine female player named skullface. Her I can connect with a little better but even she lives in mid usa.

Do you play on Xbox or PS? Have you played Shujinky's QC? or girl named skullface? Their QC's will give you a rough time.
I've played one very good Quan Chi in Europe I can't remember his name though. The MU seemed even but if anything I felt Sektor had the advantage.

I play on PSN but in Europe so I don't know if we'd be able to play. I haven't played the people you have mentioned and I know how good Dink's Quan is :).

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I've played one very good Quan Chi in Europe I can't remember his name though. The MU seemed even but if anything I felt Sektor had the advantage.

I play on PSN but in Europe so I don't know if we'd be able to play. I haven't played the people you have mentioned and I know how good Dink's Quan is :).
Oh so you're a European guy, I see ;) Yeah, probably not unfortunately :( I can play anyone worldwide but it's on xbox, PS doesn't offer worldwide correct? Just region lock?

I see, if you got a chance to play the quan chi players I mentioned I think you'd (not necessarily change your position) but perhaps see where I'm coming from. To be fair, I don't know how much different this match is offline vs. online but I'd imagine probably not that much different. I just feel as someone who mains Sektor(second character main) IMO QC is one of the few characters that really give him a rough time. You sound like a friendly fellow though.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Both are good, but tommy deserves his props because he won final round all his matches were hype, against gross, tyrant, scar.
Nobody is downplaying Wafflez here I even say myself he's the best, he went to tournaments and proved himself to be. Anyone who plays me knows that i'm a pretty decent player and i'll let that speak for itself lol.

If wafflez disagree's we would surely listen to his input but if you just look at the bare basics of this mu your left with a character (Quan) who loses in all aspects of the match up. Fireball game? Smoke wins obviously. Spacing game? Smoke wins. Damage? Smoke wins. Pressure? Smoke still wins and he even builds more meter from
it than Quan due to the sheer amount of blocked normals smoke it able to throw out.

Nobody is downplaying Wafflez here I even say myself he's the best, he went to tournaments and proved himself to be. Anyone who plays me knows that i'm a pretty decent player and i'll let that speak for itself lol.

If wafflez disagree's we would surely listen to his input but if you just look at the bare basics of this mu your left with a character (Quan) who loses in all aspects of the match up. Fireball game? Smoke wins obviously. Spacing game? Smoke wins. Damage? Smoke wins. Pressure? Smoke still wins and he even builds more meter from
it than Quan due to the sheer amount of blocked normals smoke it able to throw out.
Yeah I don't see how this is even, it looks horrible for quan chi.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !

yah, you're pretty good i guess... :p

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
liu kang is the worst Mu for quan, also liu kang is a poor version of kabal, but why kabal is not the worst Mu for him?
Quan's hitbox avoids a decent chunk of Kabal's pressure where as Liu can still use as much of his mixups as he would on everybody else, and has a much better X-ray for grounds of unbreakable damage if he needs it.

I don't play either character, but I see why Liu would be the bigger pain in the ass in this situation.