What's new

Question Difference between online and offline Mileena?

I've been only an online MK player since launch and have only participated in one offline tournament. I've been hearing much that Mileena is much better online than she is offline, along with Reptile and Cage. Reptile and Cage I completely understand but I never understood whats so different about online and offline Mileenas. I know most of her frame data, neutral strings, setups, and ways to punish her EX teleport but I'm not sure how that is all nerfed offline.

If anyone could provide me input on what advantages/disadvantages she has offline, i'd really appreciate it since I'll be participating in SoCal and it would be important to know in case I get paired with a Mileena. Thank you in advance!

GhosT

Noob
IMO... the time you have to interrupt frame traps with armor becomes a bit more strict. That coupled with the fact that for some reason her d4 is a frame trap within itself online lends to the issue.

Online, mileena needs to do this. Zone for meter and meager damage. React to a jump and either tele kick sai or AA roll.. she can d4 d4 d4 d4 d4 all day, best you can do with most characters is block jump out, which you can be rolled for. or she can actually make you respect lag tactic d4 and go into grabs, or block strings.. she is freaking annoying online for sure.. That hitbox as always is stupid small. really she brings the same problems offline as well, but not as bad, and you dont have to fight with delay for character specific punishes, pokes etc etc.. she just gains an edge with the lag in a few key areas, Its still not that bad, if you have a good mileena to fight against you can work through it, but still worse online vs offline. though the same can be said with multiple characters.

Like you I don't get it as well, after reading my post it does not sound that bad, i say you noop just adapt, but online is its own machine, shit does not apply online that applies offline. I have come to accept it, and try not to be salty with those who main lag friendly characters.

I would also assume that D4 is abused more online, but I usually cross-up jump kick them if I see they love to abuse it. I know her jail strings can also be used offline. Possibly input-delay could work in her favor with jump kick into telesai like you mentioned. Glad to know we're kind of on the same page with this question because I've heard a lot of people confuse her with being top tier specifically due to netplay. Thanks for the input though!

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I hate this character online.
offline she's pretty unsafe but online she always seems to slip through my punishes.

I hate this character online.
offline she's pretty unsafe but online she always seems to slip through my punishes.
You know that her specials are safe the millisecond she reaches the ground right? You should also duck after her blocked telekicks for an optimal window to punish.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Her 3 2 string feels +1 online, coupled with the fact the string is mixed up with Teleport Kick you start respecting it a lot more, which in turn translates into free chip and meter for her.

When Mileena is away she will as usual zone with standing and air sais and d4. That means more meter for her. All of tht leads to the following point which makes her even better online.

Her meter will be used mostly for :xTeleport Kick. Punishing that on block is very inconsistent online. The normal punish is to do: d1, combo/uppercut/special follow up. But because of lag you're likely to drop your follow up and since she was juggled close to the ground by your d1 she gets access to a wake up attack, the invincibility frames will make you eat a Roll or a Teleport Kick. As a result, because you end up being afraid of trying to punish it, :xTeleport Kick is free online.

Her 3 2 string feels +1 online, coupled with the fact the string is mixed up with Teleport Kick you start respecting it a lot more, which in turn translates into free chip and meter for her.

When Mileena is away she will as usual zone with standing and air sais and d4. That means more meter for her. All of tht leads to the following point which makes her even better online.

Her meter will be used mostly for :xTeleport Kick. Punishing that on block is very inconsistent online. The normal punish is to do: d1, combo/uppercut/special follow up. But because of lag you're likely to drop your follow up and since she was juggled close to the ground by your d1 she gets access to a wake up attack, the invincibility frames will make you eat a Roll or a Teleport Kick. As a result, because you end up being afraid of trying to punish it, :xTeleport Kick is free online.
So that's what it is. I ALWAYS drop the follow up and eat her wake up punish. I just reacted the same offline too. Thanks for the info!