What's new

Didn't they say this was a roster decided by fans?

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
I'm talking about heavily requested characters though. I highly doubt Mokap and Meat would be heavily requested, unless they did another Armageddon-like game and decided not to include them, kind of like how Armageddon itself originally wasn't going to include Motaro, Chameleon and Khameleon, but were later put in, due to high demand.

The usual insult when disagreeing, I see? All I was doing was expressing my opinions on the roster size. How about we just agree to disagree, and leave it at that?
Don't even stress the shit cause we'll continuously be insulted on the TYM forum.

Where Ed Boon talking shit is hilarious when he makes fans of said characters that weren't included more pissed, wanting a reaction, getting a reaction, then he mopes like a child surprised about it and the shills go "it's a shame Boon has to deal with this" as he literally asks for it.

My biggest thing is: there are clear vocal majority wants in the game. And if they aren't included, fair enough. I still think his statement was dumb as shit then. I'm also a believer in the Smash tradition where a roster should grow and take less cuts than anything but we got this "oh but variations" excuse going on.

Course, I'll also be disregarded with claims since I'm new into being heavy into this FGC (not new into it) that I couldn't dare comprehend how much money it takes to make a character. Disregarding Boon and co make stupid fucking bank from MK and their publisher has stupid money too. I consistently forget they're a small indie company who can't be bothered to increase a roster size to guarantee a few more comebacks and newcomers.

Don't stress the shit here if you got anything negative to say.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
Course, I'll also be disregarded with claims since I'm new into being heavy into this FGC (not new into it) that I couldn't dare comprehend how much money it takes to make a character. Disregarding Boon and co make stupid fucking bank from MK and their publisher has stupid money too. I consistently forget they're a small indie company who can't be bothered to increase a roster size to guarantee a few more comebacks and newcomers.

Don't stress the shit here if you got anything negative to say.

Yeah but fact is people already explained reasonably why that can't be possible, if you won't accept it it's another matter entirely.

Games have budgets and time schedules. If a character takes x amount of time and x amount of money to be created it's not hard to understand that the number you end up with is not infinite. 25 characters in this game is consistent with MK9's 27 or MKX's 24 so I don't understand what's the matter about it. Hell, SF5 launched with like 14.

Would you prefer an MK game every 8-10 years with 50 characters and riddled with lootboxes and stuff sold on the side just to make budget back? I sure don't.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
Yeah but fact is people already explained reasonably why that can't be possible, if you won't accept it it's another matter entirely.

Games have budgets and time schedules. If a character takes x amount of time and x amount of money to be created it's not hard to understand that the number you end up with is not infinite. 25 characters in this game is consistent with MK9's 27 or MKX's 24 so I don't understand what's the matter about it. Hell, SF5 launched with like 14.

Would you prefer an MK game every 8-10 years with 50 characters and riddled with lootboxes and stuff sold on the side just to make budget back? I sure don't.
No, I was never reasonably explained why they can't happen. I'm sorry, but straight up: I was not.

I would like some actual statistics. Shit that I've already tried to take the time to look up when I looked up how much MKX took to make vs how much they made back. It sure as hell wasn't a struggle. I understand the budget argument. The time schedule? I'd give you.

Again, SF5 is not a good game to compare to when trying to put another game in a fresh light since SF5 took a ton of shit, as it actually deserved. SF5 was horrible, and a genuine insult to not only Street Fighter fans or Capcom fans, but the FGC alone.

I'd prefer an MK game that has a roster that isn't lower than MK9 which came out how many years ago. Like I said, maybe if variations are actually handled better this time, I'd understand it. I still have the game on preorder because I do love my Mortal Kombat.

But I just can't justify nor have I seen it justified that the roster has a whopping one more than the previous installment. The shit just doesn't seem right with me.

As for the "riddled with lootboxes and stuff sold on the side" again, I'm really not trying to be a dick here, too late for that I'm sure but...isn't that already the case? Didn't IJ2 just do that? Isn't MK11 already saying they'll have a battle pass, you can unlock cosmetics [we saw how well and fun that was in IJ2], etc. I don't see the difference here.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
No, I was never reasonably explained why they can't happen. I'm sorry, but straight up: I was not.

I would like some actual statistics. Shit that I've already tried to take the time to look up when I looked up how much MKX took to make vs how much they made back. It sure as hell wasn't a struggle. I understand the budget argument. The time schedule? I'd give you.

Again, SF5 is not a good game to compare to when trying to put another game in a fresh light since SF5 took a ton of shit, as it actually deserved. SF5 was horrible, and a genuine insult to not only Street Fighter fans or Capcom fans, but the FGC alone.

I'd prefer an MK game that has a roster that isn't lower than MK9 which came out how many years ago. Like I said, maybe if variations are actually handled better this time, I'd understand it. I still have the game on preorder because I do love my Mortal Kombat.

But I just can't justify nor have I seen it justified that the roster has a whopping one more than the previous installment. The shit just doesn't seem right with me.

As for the "riddled with lootboxes and stuff sold on the side" again, I'm really not trying to be a dick here, too late for that I'm sure but...isn't that already the case? Didn't IJ2 just do that? Isn't MK11 already saying they'll have a battle pass, you can unlock cosmetics [we saw how well and fun that was in IJ2], etc. I don't see the difference here.

1- Yeah, you were on page 5, but as I said if you don't accept it as an explanation I don't know what to tell you.

2- what statistics? Does NRS have to go public with employees wages and hourly work rate stuff like that to justify to fans how many characters they put in a videogame? Do you think it's reasonable?

3- sure, I'll give you that about SF5, for sure, it was just to clarify the point that "a 25 characters game is unacceptable" when there's game released with less characters.
Let's put aside SF5. Dragonball Z, pretty acclaimed by everyone launched with 22. And doesn't have variations or gear or any real customization.

4- that's your opinion and I accept it, but if people disagree with you it doesn't mean they are "shills out to get you"

5- yeah, I2 did that and took a lot of shit, that's why they're not doing it again. The difference is that giving the option to unlock stuff with money when you can unlock it by playing is one thing, taking all the stuff away and selling it JUST for money like they do in a COD or Battlefield or whatever is another.

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
1- Yeah, you were on page 5, but as I said if you don't accept it as an explanation I don't know what to tell you.

2- what statistics? Does NRS have to go public with employees wages and hourly work rate stuff like that to justify to fans how many characters they put in a videogame? Do you think it's reasonable?

3- sure, I'll give you that about SF5, for sure, it was just to clarify the point that "a 25 characters game is unacceptable" when there's game released with less characters.
Let's put aside SF5. Dragonball Z, pretty acclaimed by everyone launched with 22. And doesn't have variations or gear or any real customization.

4- that's your opinion and I accept it, but if people disagree with you it doesn't mean they are "shills out to get you"

5- yeah, I2 did that and took a lot of shit, that's why they're not doing it again. The difference is that giving the option to unlock stuff with money when you can unlock it by playing is one thing, taking all the stuff away and selling it JUST for money like they do in a COD or Battlefield or whatever is another.
1. Like I said, I don't accept it because there's tons of ways that can be argued. We don't know shit. This carries onto the second point as well. To say all of this is reasonable and the cuts are reasonable is unfair because we can only really look at how much the game cost and how much the game made. Going off that alone, the budget is well paid back and then a fair amount of some.

But again, we don't know where this money is getting split. So that's why I always argue trying to use that as a fair basis isn't fair. At all. We don't really know shit.

3. I understand that there's games that launched with less, but DBZ Fighters was a game that was always going to be limited to a degree. It wanted to mainly focus on getting the big players of DBZ. Which it did at launch and it was also the first game of it's kinda. Probably the only one since DLC is covering most of the basis of fighters throughout the series.

4. I won't say the shills are out to get me. God no. I'm just tired of the tiresome defense on things that really don't need defended.

5. For sure, JUST for money is different. But I'm not seeing the big difference between what this game is saying it's going to do and I2. Apparently, with recent leaks, it doesn't sound all that different with how we have to grind to unlock things vs outright buying it.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I actually get where the OP is coming from. I mean, this entire time NRS has been telling me "I'm next" but it seems like way more other people get picked next for things instead of me. What a bunch of liars.

To say all of this is reasonable and the cuts are reasonable is unfair because we can only really look at how much the game cost and how much the game made.
That's one way of looking at it. But they haven't really cut much, if anything they've kept the status quo. From what i can tell this is a bigger game overall compared to MK9/MKX. Also they're doing a Switch version, compared to the previous ones which were only on 2 consoles (PC doesn't count as it was ported outside of NRS).

Apparently you don't, because you're relying on "popular wisdom" like this as the crux of your entire argument.

Hardcore online communities on TYM and r/MK DO NOT REPRESENT the MILLIONS of MK fans worldwide. Jax was consistently one of the most popular characters in MKX throughout its entire lifespan, but come here a month ago and you'd think he was some kind of fucking leper. You're in an echo chamber surrounded by other hardcore fans and you don't even realize it. The roster isn't just made for hardcore fans, it's made for ALL fans.

Name the perfect "roster for the fans." I want to hear what 25 characters you put on it.

I want to hear it, so I can tell you which popular fan favorite characters your roster is missing, and criticize all the ways in which your roster is actually shit.

There is no such thing as a perfect roster, get that idea out of your head.
Exactly, ask 5 people what their ideal roster is and you'll get five different answers.

You can't please everyone.

exactly, loved the hypocrisy when Boon said : "oh, Jacqui is a fan favorite " .... really ?
People seemed pretty excited about Jacqui after her reveal and being shown off in the Kombat Kast.

It's pretty disingenuous to say there wasn't people who were happy to see her.

Last edited:

SUPAHJD

Horror Guest Shill
screaming in the middle of a McDonalds, demanding the high school employee explain to me why a big mac costs $5
You really seem like that one child when the argument is dead that has to say some really dumb shit just to spark things back up again.

I can see why you're a Lex Luthor man.