What's new

Didn't they say this was a roster decided by fans?

Blizer

Cheap Kollector Rip Off
Yeah, Ed hates Rain

I think its a fact at this point

(Also, idk how i would put him in story mode, cause he would be the jobber of this game)

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Yeah, Ed hates Rain
Nah, he's just making fun of the overzealous fanboys/girls. He fucks with fans, because fans are analysing and overreacting to his tweets all the time! Back before MKX's launch, he made a tweet just saying "It sure is windy in Chicago today" and people went "OMGZ FUJIN CONFIRMED!!!"

People overreacting to those tweets are the ones he's making fun off. You can be a fan of Rain/Mileena/Fujin/etc without feeling offended by his tweets, if you have just an ounce of rationality in you.

Be a fan... just don't be an entitled fanboy.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
The problem isn’t so much that NetherRealm doesn’t want to put in these characters; they have to do things that: 1) make money 2) feel fresh 3) get more fans

That’s why they do guest characters

That’s why people like Triborg are DLC

That’s why they had new characters like cassie and Takeda.

And to be fair, the only good size a roster can be is ~ 30 pre dlc for balancing purposes

Subby Z

Noob
Okay so IMO there are positives and negatives for NRS.

Positive

1 They really did have a lot to work on so setting super high expectations is bound to lead to disappointment and honestly I think the gameplay looks fun. Keep in mind this is from a casual standpoint as well. I care more about story than gameplay so I don’t really have a dog in that race bit that is a point for NRS.

2. Not every trilogy character is going to make the roster. Let’s face it some of the trilogy roster has to sit out. That brings about good for the character usually as well because it’s been so long since you have seen them that it is a happy welcome. Also the trilogy characters are what sell the games so alternating some in and out is a business savvy move. Mileena, Reptile, and Ermac sat out for Jade, Baraka, and Noob. Again that helps sell copies and also gives the character room to breathe.

Negative

1 The roster feels a lot like MKX 2 and that’s disappointing. I would almost GUARANTEE that this roster could have been much better with literally 2 to 3 swaps and no none of them are Mileena. Again since MKX I have seen 3 characters who were really requested. Shang Tsung, Rain, and Fujin. Noob was also on that list but he was added. The other 3 were kind of robbed IMO and Fujin is getting the shaft hard. He has been requested or teased for 3 games now and still no main roster spot but you can fit Frost in there? Come on now. The other part is the special forces characters. I hate to beat a dead horse but 2 out of Johnny, Sonya, Cassie, Jax, and Jacqui could have sat out and we would be perfectly fine. In fact I would rather Frost be in over them. The two I would have sat out would have been Sonya and Jax. It would have made both Cassie and Jacqui stand on their own and not feel like rehashes but again we received all 5. It’s just boring. I swear you could give a lot of jacquis moves to Sonya and nobody would notice. Sonya and Cassie both have a drone. It all comes down to aesthetics. Casuals won’t care about high level gameplay they care about each character feeling different and those 5 feel the same to me. Take out Sonya and Jax and replace them with Rain and Fujin. Leave Shang as DLC to get them to buy kombat pack 1 amd bam perfect roster.

2. Giving Mileenas and Jade’s moves to Kitana is just rubbing salt in a wound. Dumb dumb decision IMO.

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Because either way, you know exactly what you were going to do. Why would I waste the time typing out anything of value so you could go "OH BUT YOU LEFT THIS OUT".

Second: Yeah. I want to make sense while also delivering on what the fans have been demanding for awhile. You know. Nightwolf. Rain. Smoke [again, congrats]. Sindel. I don't hear too many fans going "You know who I love? Sonya. I really need Sonya." or the same idea with Jax. You cut one of them, you have another place for someone like your Rain or Mileena. But yeah, let's keep up the dumb ass comments like "it just didn't give you what you wanted".

At least do me this solid for any future poster. Stop making yourself look like a total asshole by saying "oh you just didn't get your roster". I have no connection with the shits. They could add anyone. Read my fucking title. I'm more invested in comic and horror shit.

Also, are we going to pretend that tiers and how accessible characters are don't play a huge part in who gets played more? Again, I'm looking hard for these Sonya and Jax fans you keep talking about. While there are some, if you're really going to pretend that aren't characters who are vocally more wanted through tons of other social media proof, you're crazy.
Because that is exactly the point! There is no such thing as a perfect “for the fans” roster l, save including every character that’s ever been in a Mortal Kombat game.

You think you’re heading the argument off at the pass, but rather you’re admitting that the argument is valid.

And one of the main things that you’re completely ignoring/not realizing: you keep saying how all the chatter is about Rain, Sindel, Nightwolf, Smoke, mileena, whoever...well, the chatter is about them because we know that they’re likely not in! These weren’t the most popularly requested characters 6 months ago before roster leaks and reveals were made public. The entire reason those names are thrown out so consistently is because it’s been hinted that those characters aren’t in, or at least not base roster. This is a chicken before the egg situation. Had those characters been included or revealed and a different roster leaked, you’d be reading chatter all about how Noob is out again, or Skarlet, or Baraka, or Kitana, or Liu.

That’s the point, all these characters have rabid fanbases who will be vocal about their character being excluded. You’ve kept trumpeting certain characters as if that confirms that they’re the most requested without considering that they’re the most requested specifically because they’ve not been revealed. It would work exactly the same with different characters.

This thread is so dumb, and TYM has seriously become no better than gamefaqs, Reddit, and any other haven of totally clueless and casual players.

You say stuff like “tekken’s mechanics are superior” and at the same time that you only started “taking fighting games seriously 2 years ago”. Whether Tekken’s mechanics are or aren’t superior is irrelevant, the point is that you have no idea what that even means and are simply regurgitating you’ve seen other people say. I bet you’re more involved and more into the drama and chatter around the scene than you are about actually playing the game itself.

And then other threads of people criticizing balance and character design who will openly admit that they can’t do run cancels and avoid those characters. This place has turned absolutely nuts.

KCJ506

Noob
Again, no one is asking for another roster like Armageddon's. Just for some more characters. Armageddon has over 60 characters, which is not what we were asking for. Just over 30.
They are actually people wanting another Armageddon. Maybe not on this particular site, but I've come across such on other ones. It's usually people that don't seem to understand how fighting games work and often try to compare things to Smash Ultimate.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Yeah bro i remember 3-4 years ago when EVERYONE was asking for Fujin not only here but on ed boon's twitter.

''Everyone asking for Rain and Fujin. Hmmm, i think we should add Jacqui to the roster.'' lmao
Again, the number of people who are big enough MK nerds to be spamming Ed Boon's twitter account are approximately 2% of the people who bought the 10 million units of MKX.

Zev

Cages_Shades from MKO
Casuals don’t give a shit about Rain or Fujin. They actually care about Sonya and Jax.
Rain is loved by all. Obviously no where near the mk1-2 cast, but as a kid everyone knew who rain was once Umk3 came out on consoles. He's a ninja after all and people love their ninjas. He's probably loved by casuals more than non casuals tbh.

. . . Fujin I agree with you though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Imagine whining like little bitches that some characters didn't make it into one game.
Man, my characters aren’t in MK11 and you don’t see me acting like a child about it. My characters weren’t in MKX either. Mileena fans should consider themselves lucky that she was in both of the NRS MK games. Nightwolf and Human Smoke didn’t get that luxury.

I don’t understand how behaving like toddlers and being belligerent helps your cause. It just makes NRS not like you, and just about everyone else. At this point I hope Mileena is dead forever and never makes a return.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Real question: I am not super familiar with the 3D era but has there ever been a character who was never excluded. Or Multiple maybe?

Subby Z

Noob
are you senile
I’m really not. Look if All of these characters come back every game then the game will start feeling like a rehash. Sonya and Jax have missed games before and they can miss them again. It could even be covered story wise. Jax retired and Sonya dies in the beginning of this game. Make the game about the journey of getting Sonya back or something.idk. That or leave their kids out. One or the other. Plain and simple there is a LARGE group of people who are tired of those 5 and I completely get it. I don’t see how people complained about characters like Kira and Li Mei being copies of other characters yet are absolutely fine with Cassie and Jacqui.

Kira was a mix of Sonya and Kano just like Cassie is a mix of Sonya and Cage. However, nobody ever expects kira to come back and she is always regarded as a horrible 3d era character. Cassie pulls the same thing and nothing??? At least Kira was in a game which lacked Sonya and Kano making her feel needed. Plain and simple. 2 of Johnny, Sonya, Cassie, Jacqui, and Jax need to sit out. I don’t care which 2 tbh but it’s just too much of the same thing.

Fujin, Rain, or Shang taking their place would easily make the roster better.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I’m really not. Look if All of these characters come back every game then the game will start feeling like a rehash. Sonya and Jax have missed games before and they can miss them again. It could even be covered story wise. Jax retired and Sonya dies in the beginning of this game. Make the game about the journey of getting Sonya back or something.idk. That or leave their kids out. One or the other. Plain and simple there is a LARGE group of people who are tired of those 5 and I completely get it. I don’t see how people complained about characters like Kira and Li Mei being copies of other characters yet are absolutely fine with Cassie and Jacqui.

Kira was a mix of Sonya and Kano just like Cassie is a mix of Sonya and Cage. However, nobody ever expects kira to come back and she is always regarded as a horrible 3d era character. Cassie pulls the same thing and nothing??? At least Kira was in a game which lacked Sonya and Kano making her feel needed. Plain and simple. 2 of Johnny, Sonya, Cassie, Jacqui, and Jax need to sit out. I don’t care which 2 tbh but it’s just too much of the same thing.

Fujin, Rain, or Shang taking their place would easily make the roster better.
lol no thanks, the original seven should always be in. They only missed one game, that had some of the most forgettable characters ever.

People love Jax and Sonya. Same as they love Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Johnny, Liu Kang, Kano, Kung Lao... no one is tired of them. That's a myth.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Real question: I am not super familiar with the 3D era but has there ever been a character who was never excluded. Or Multiple maybe?
Sub-Zero and Raiden never missed a game.

Scorpion was out of MK3 but got included in UMK3, so...

Kahn's in... So, by inference, I could argue that they did listen (to me)... Even if it did take nearly EIGHT-FREAKIN'-YEARS! for it to resonate past the eardrums and into their brains!

Facetiousness aside, surely everyone understands that all the "we listen to feedback / what fans want" line is mostly just lip service -- little different to "make [insert diminishing former global power] great again" political rhetoric... Right? I mean, when were they listening (to anyone but non-gamer casuals) when they dumped the "Amplify" input schemes without even proffering an option for it?... Or when they dumped customisation for tournament modes?... Or when they omitted the bonus game modes (kart, chess, co-op etc.) that everyone wants?... Or when they decided the "de-sexification" agenda for the game?

Every mealy-mouthed word is underpinned by PROFIT: If they think whatever they're doing can be twisted to seem like it's being done "for the fans", they will gild the lily accordingly. Therefore, all such verbosity should be snorted with a silo of salt, and the product adjudicated upon using only one's eyes, hands and brain.