What's new

Didn't they say this was a roster decided by fans?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
in
order for this game series to persist, it's had to evolve and that includes making bold decisions about introducing new characters
I dissagree that you have to have this many classic characters dropped and this many new ones added.
I'm not one of these people saying SF needs the cut or nothing along those lines. You can revamp old characters and make them feel new, give them new moves while keeping a few old traits. The get won't turn stagnant if they create change each game which they do.
There are many die hard fans that have played the games and supported them from day 1 that have lost thier favs and that's a shame. I understand the 3Dgames where done wrong and a mistake despite many liking them. I myself liked the 2D fighters but also liked mk because it's different. Mk1-umk3 and MK9-mk11 are 2D fighters with 3D normals. Jumping is faster than pokes, in SFV pokes are 3 frames not 7 like mk and normals are 10-20 frames which you don't see in traditional 2D fighters but it's what made MK set apart from the rest for me.
I think it would be fine if the classics always returned with new playstyle but that's me. They kind of do change up the characters so I don't see the need for so many to be replaced. When I pop in MK9 it's different from X and 11. They are very different while having 3D normals in a 2D fighter with combos and fatalities.
In my opinion Mileena, Reptile and Smoke should be base on every game along with: Raiden, Kano, Johnny, Sub Zero, Scorpion, Ermac, Cyrax, Sektor, Kitana, Kabal and Jax.

This roster is as safe as it gets, I don't understand how people still think the fans of classics are not being served here. Only 3 new characters, when I'd rather have 6, only one 3D era characters when I'd rather have 4. Honestly, pretty fan oriented roster if you ask me, really aimed at the vast majority asking for Trilogy era realness.

I'd easily erase Sonya, Johnny, Jax, Kitana, Kung Lao and Liu from this game for a more risky and varied approach. But that wouldn't make sense business-wise, so there it is: it is a fan favorite roster.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Man, I'm sorry: but some of you can totally eat shit.

I tried my best to be respectful and overall: do I regret the basis of my thread? For sure. I was more so feeling the insult Milenna fans did after that little low blow it felt like. I still think the roster doesn't have fan favorites people have been calling back forever, but let's disagree to that.

You want to talk some insulting harsh shit? Let's talk some insulting harsh shit then which is going to completely separate the point of my topic. Fuck that, the 25 in a 2019 game is unacceptable. I don't give a single shit about the "move customization and variations" because correct me if I'm wrong: they're not even going to be allowed in comp online. You know: the entire reason people tend to play fighting games in 2019? I like playing fighting games at a party with my friends but even for Injustice 2, we went base no variations.

That's just a bunch of bull shit. I'm genuinely sorry but expecting at least something like 30-35 isn't crazy. If it takes longer to make, it takes longer to make. But it would have been way nicer to actually have a roster size that wasn't the same exact fucking size as the one before hand. The variations are nice but there's no reason you can justify this shit besides "I LIKE MORTAL KOMBAT NRS DID GOOD FUCK YOU!".

I'm not repeating myself again. I am a fucking horror/comic nerd. I do love Mortal Kombat but I have no emotional weight with who makes it in. Up until 9 and even that was a somewhat, I didn't have any emotional weight with the characters because with the way they were wrote, why the fuck would I have? I don't even understand the love for Mileena FFS. But I still think there are a ton of popular characters that won a ton of their bull shit polls, etc that are still out of this game.

Say what you want to say. I found the roster size in 2019 a fucking joke, and if cutting variations meant we got to see a bigger variety of characters [and no, before some shill comes in and say "OH YOU WANT THE GAME THAT HAD THEM ALL BUT THEY ALL FOUGHT THE SAME] no, I just want to see an impressive cast size of newcomers, and beloved faces.

That said, I'm nitpicking with this shit. I still think the game looks amazing and fun, and I have the shit preordered to get it day one to get my stupid ass lunch tin but some of you need to chill the fuck out whenever someone has a negative opinion on the game and you go into a defensive mode as if they fucking love you or you work there. Shut the fuck up. There's better ways to reply and continue a discussion than bickering at someone and expecting any point to be made.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Baraka, Kabal, Skarlet, and Jade were highly requested, so I really don't know what you're talking about. lol

Just have to accept that some favorites are gonna sit games out unfortunately.

I do think it's a missed opportunity with Mileena tho, have her past self show up and kill d'vorah would be a great revenge plot and would super hype up the mileena fandom.

If anyone should be pissed, it's the Rain fans. He may never be playable in another MK game. lmfao (disclaimer: I love rain)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Shang Tsung, Noob, Jade, Kitana, Johnny, Scarlet, Baraka...you can't say this isn't a fan roster. So what if Mileena sits this one out? It's one character and Jade sat ou MKX it wasn't that big a deal when there was plenty to chose from. I mean seriously the level of complaining seems endless when the game isn't out yet and the DLCs aren't announced. If they want to sell them, they'll need to have classic characters in there or no one will buy them. So take a chill pill and enjoy what they already gave you.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I m just sad that my main Cheesymac isnt in the final roster. Other than that, the roster seems fine with the exception of the Cages. Johnny and Sonya AND Cassie AGAIN was overkill. I love Johnny in this game though.

The Brigs on the other hand, i dont agree. Gameplay wise they are totally two completely different characters.

ST should have been an unlockable character imo. Dunno who will be the unlockable character in MK 11.
Frost?

Shinnok?

Playable version of Kronika?

Mileena? (unlikely though since they gave almost all of her moves to Kitana from what i ve read in some other threads).

Rain is probably out of the picture as well since Injusticetrion is Rain and Tremor combined.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
But if I recall, didn't they say some of these variations wouldn't even be allowed to be used online? That, and [imho] Tekken seems to still be more mechanically advanced than Mortal Kombat is. At least that I find it to be.

I totally respect this reply but I think we have found room to agree on that: if the variation thing here fails, it's time to disregard the system. I won't lie. I heavily missed skins in Injustice 2. While I liked the "gear and variations" idea, I found them to be really limiting. I genuinely enjoy skins a bit more because they can do things like change a face up and such like that. Gear didn't seem to do that.

That's a whole other topic though.
All variations are usable online.

Player made varaiations can online be used in online player match.

Gojira Prime

Zoner Green Lantern for Injustice 3.
I like the MK11 roster. If NRS actually made a roster for fans we end up getting Injustice 2 roster. And to me personally I think they messed up BIG time on Injustice 2 roster. Even the Injustice 2 story suffered because of it.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I blame MK9
That roster was way too perfect
It is literally all that people want and they can't just do it again

View attachment 13703
perfect? i dont see erron black

Man, I'm sorry: but some of you can totally eat shit.

I tried my best to be respectful and overall: do I regret the basis of my thread? For sure. I was more so feeling the insult Milenna fans did after that little low blow it felt like. I still think the roster doesn't have fan favorites people have been calling back forever, but let's disagree to that.

You want to talk some insulting harsh shit? Let's talk some insulting harsh shit then which is going to completely separate the point of my topic. Fuck that, the 25 in a 2019 game is unacceptable. I don't give a single shit about the "move customization and variations" because correct me if I'm wrong: they're not even going to be allowed in comp online. You know: the entire reason people tend to play fighting games in 2019? I like playing fighting games at a party with my friends but even for Injustice 2, we went base no variations.

That's just a bunch of bull shit. I'm genuinely sorry but expecting at least something like 30-35 isn't crazy. If it takes longer to make, it takes longer to make. But it would have been way nicer to actually have a roster size that wasn't the same exact fucking size as the one before hand. The variations are nice but there's no reason you can justify this shit besides "I LIKE MORTAL KOMBAT NRS DID GOOD FUCK YOU!".

I'm not repeating myself again. I am a fucking horror/comic nerd. I do love Mortal Kombat but I have no emotional weight with who makes it in. Up until 9 and even that was a somewhat, I didn't have any emotional weight with the characters because with the way they were wrote, why the fuck would I have? I don't even understand the love for Mileena FFS. But I still think there are a ton of popular characters that won a ton of their bull shit polls, etc that are still out of this game.

Say what you want to say. I found the roster size in 2019 a fucking joke, and if cutting variations meant we got to see a bigger variety of characters [and no, before some shill comes in and say "OH YOU WANT THE GAME THAT HAD THEM ALL BUT THEY ALL FOUGHT THE SAME] no, I just want to see an impressive cast size of newcomers, and beloved faces.

That said, I'm nitpicking with this shit. I still think the game looks amazing and fun, and I have the shit preordered to get it day one to get my stupid ass lunch tin but some of you need to chill the fuck out whenever someone has a negative opinion on the game and you go into a defensive mode as if they fucking love you or you work there. Shut the fuck up. There's better ways to reply and continue a discussion than bickering at someone and expecting any point to be made.
bro these guys literally take valid criticism or even the slightest bit of healty skepticism of nrs personally. Youre not wrong, and people cant actually argue anything you say directly, but they cant separate their happiness just to have a new shiny toy and everything not positive be damned.

theyre drinking the kool aid its already too late. they cant be reasoned with. just make fun of them like I do lul

Last edited:

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I understand why they gave Kitana Mileena’s sai, however I would have preferred them giving her Sindel’s scream as it makes more sense to me, could say it is inherited; or tanya’s Tonfas

Ptehu

Prince of Edenia
Fan service?? Ok however i cant see the 2nd in the pool - Rain, to claim his place i to the roster as Noob, Baraka and Kabal did, who were in the same damn poll. How could that be a fan service? Explain me that!

MR.EVL

I am you
Do you guys think Mileena is not in because she's too sexy for the game and some fans might not take it well them toning her down?

MR.EVL

I am you
I don't necessarily with that, but I am seeing that a lot in peeps on twitter and youtube (trueunderdawg) repeating this and would love TYM's opinion :)

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
Well they shouldn't. The series has survived without them before.

MK2 - No Sonya, no Kano.

MK3 - No Scorpion, no Raiden, no Kitana, no Mileena, no Johnny Cage

UMK3 - No Raiden, no Johnny Cage

MKT - Everybody is here game

MK4 - No Kano, no Kitana, no Mileena, No Kung Lao

MK4G - Has pretty much all of the classics minus Kano

MKDA - No Liu Kang, no Mileena

MKD - No Kitana, no Johnny, no Sonya, no Kano, no Kung Lao

MKA - Everybody is here

So its not like these characters are known to be in every single game, idk why they need to be nowadays.
thank you ! good points made.
I don't get it why people get mad acting like this thing is new.

Searsy82

Noob
While I completely empathize with those who may be upset their favorite didn't make it, I love the roster overall.

For me personally the characters I am excited about playing are :
Baraka, D'vorah, Erron Black, Frost, Geras, Jade, Jax, Johnny, Kabal, Kano, Kitana, Kollector, Kotal, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, Noob, Raiden, Scorpion, Sub-Sero, and Shao Kahn (Base Roster Only)

Cassie, Jacqui, Cetrion, Sonya, and Skarlet I will at least give a fair shake to.

20/25 base roster characters I am legitimately exited about how they look and can't wait to test them out. I dont know how I am supposed to be upset about the roster just because a few of my other favorite characters are missing. And the first DLC character (Shang) was a homerun for me too.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I'll respond the same way as I did in the sub-reddit where this was posted first:

Well, there's been a lot of classic fighter announcements since February... so he wasn't wrong. But we're very close to launch now, so the chance of other faves than the ones we already know being in the game is very low at this point.

Next chance is as DLC though.