What's new

Did anybody play X-band?

In case anybody doesnt know, this was a 28k modem for your SNES (or genesis, if you went that route)

You put it into the console, put your game on top of it, and connected to a networking service. You could check news, and add people as friends.

People had a limited amount of text to put in their profile, a little over a paragraph.

There were 4 character slots in total, most of the time people made the first slot their main gaming character, and the 3 others for what we called "boardz" or "Boredz" in which you made a character like "MKNEWS"
and filled the profile up with current rumors about MK.

There was alot of variety in the "Boreds" some covered current events, others had movie reviews. It was alot of fun just going through different names, seeing if they existed, and adding them to your friends.

ANYWAY... The gaming went rather well, if you had a static free line.

You connected to the network (with whatever game you had in, I only played MK2, and DOOM) and the network paired you with someone. The network then disconnected, and saved the phone number of the person it paired you with. Then the modem called the person, and the xband on the other end connected to you. Then you played moderately laggy games on MK2, and no one ever did finishing moves because the lag made the button presses not register.

The best part was when someones mom picked up, HELLO? HELLO? WHO IS THIS!?!? MOOOOOOM IM TRYING TO PLAY XBAND HANG UP THE PHONE!!

Yeah, I was addicted to it too. I would play MKII mostly, a little MK3, and I loved playing doom on it too. Though It was hard finding someone to play doom with, hardly anyone had that game and xband. I would use the chainsaw trick and get like a plasma riffle on one of early 1st epidsode levels. People would talk to me after the match and ask "how did you get the BFG or the plasma riffle on that level?". Man it was so fun. I had a snes of course.

I played MK2 so much, Plenty of very good fights. Lots of skilled players on there. The lag was horrible, but it actually seemed to increase my relfexes, so when I played off of xband with people, I was like lightning fast.

At the time, playing a console game with someone across the country through a modem seemed like the most amazing thing to me. Ahhh, memories. xband, the forerunner of Xbox live.

Kaiba

Noob
I remember the Genesis version of this. I have it somewhere but I didn't want to pay..it was more of a paperweight for me. Desptie the new technology, it would still be neat if it was still available someway.[/i]

I remember playing a latin assassin

My dad runs a business, I could link our number forwarded off the 800 line and play long distance for free so I had my xband set to nationwide.

I probably played every single person who competed on MK2. All I did was connect again and again and again. I would play from when I woke to when I went to sleep.. that was probably the best summer vacation ever.

I used the

My taunt was "Mess with the best, die like the rest"

I was really into the movie hackers <_<

mastermalone

Use only logic, please

In case anybody doesnt know, this was a 28k modem for your SNES (or genesis, if you went that route)

You put it into the console, put your game on top of it, and connected to a networking service. You could check news, and add people as friends.

People had a limited amount of text to put in their profile, a little over a paragraph.

There were 4 character slots in total, most of the time people made the first slot their main gaming character, and the 3 others for what we called "boardz" or "Boredz" in which you made a character like "MKNEWS"
and filled the profile up with current rumors about MK.

There was alot of variety in the "Boreds" some covered current events, others had movie reviews. It was alot of fun just going through different names, seeing if they existed, and adding them to your friends.

ANYWAY... The gaming went rather well, if you had a static free line.

You connected to the network (with whatever game you had in, I only played MK2, and DOOM) and the network paired you with someone. The network then disconnected, and saved the phone number of the person it paired you with. Then the modem called the person, and the xband on the other end connected to you. Then you played moderately laggy games on MK2, and no one ever did finishing moves because the lag made the button presses not register.

The best part was when someones mom picked up, HELLO? HELLO? WHO IS THIS!?!? MOOOOOOM IM TRYING TO PLAY XBAND HANG UP THE PHONE!!
Yes sir! It was buggy and laggy as hell but we loved it! We played MK and KI on that thing.