What's new

Delaying Wake-up Attacks + New Way to Stuff Wake-ups

ryublaze

Noob
Ok before you read any further i don't want to sell any bills here...just want to open this thread for discussion. This has been a topic i've been discussing with many people for a while now, and half of them seem to agree and the other half seem to disagree. IMO this is important because most players do not delay their wake-up attacks and it could be game changing in certain match-ups. Please don't blow me up, let's discuss.

@Espio @MajinBerserker @RunwayMafia @Ecodus @GGA Saucy Jack @Laos_boy @Drizzle @Red Reaper @Doombawkz

First, just to show what a delayed wake-up attack looks like:
You can clearly see that I'm timing the b1u2 to stuff the wake-up attack, but then I delay the wake-up to beat out the b1u2 (Notice that I'm doing this on CATWOMAN who is believed to be unable to wake-up). Try this yourself in training mode, set the AI to record them trying to stuff your wake-up then keep changing the timing of your wake-up until you find a way out. You might have to wait until the last few frames where you can input your wake-up attack (this is a fully delayed wake-up). If your delayed wake-up attack is getting stuffed, then just do an early wake-up and you'll get out. The only exception to this that I've found is Doomsday's Earthshaker which will stuff wake-ups regardless of them being delayed or not because of how fast the 2nd hit comes out.

If you keep varying the timing of your wake-up then you're making your opponent have to guess the timing to stuff it. You put yourself into a high risk/high reward situation rather than a high risk/no reward situation because if you guess right on the wake-up timing you get a full combo rather than just blocking high/low. This is the reason why I'm able to get up with Doomsday's MB Venom whenever I play @Drizzle / Loiigagger or how I'm able to wake-up with Flash's Lightning Kick and get 50% off a wake-up.

I'm not sure how else I can prove this, some people still don't believe in delaying wake-ups WITH CATWOMAN/RAVEN. I just think more people need to go into the lab and hammer it out themselves. I'd rather believe what I've found in the lab myself rather than listening to what the majority of players say.

*****EDIT*****
It looks like people are misinterpreting this thread. I'm not saying people don't know what delayed wake-ups are; I'm saying that I don't see many people do them, and from my testing I have always thought that characters like catwoman/raven can get out of vortexes by changing their wake-up timings (that is what I was trying to show in the above video, notice CATWOMAN in the video hurr durr). HOWEVER, there is the argument that you can time your attack so that it stuffs BOTH the regular and delayed wake-up attacks. That is what I'm trying to debate/find out. So take what you will from this thread, I personally find this information useful.

*****DOUBLE EDIT*****
So I managed to test this with Slips and we can confirm that catwoman/raven can indeed wake-up out of certain knockdown "vortexes" if timed right. There might be a possibility that a specific timing can stuff both a regular and delayed wake-up, such as being a just-frame but it would still be too inconsistent to actually vortex them. We think it's character specific, like Scorpion can vortex her on knockdown but Deathstroke can't (however if Deathstroke does the meaty stuffing tech below he actually can vortex her in the corner).

---

Ok well if you are noticing that they are delaying their wake-up attack, I actually found a counter to this. Here is a new way to stuff wake-up attacks which also completely avoids delayed wake-ups:
What you do is find a fast multi-hitting move and time it so that it hits as a meaty (so that it hits on the first available frame(s) that they can block the move). Since it's a meaty they can't delay their wake-up otherwise they'll just get hit. What happens is that the 1st hit will go through the invincibility frames of the wake-up, then the 2nd hit will stuff it as soon as the invincibility frames wear off. This works against all characters with easily stuffable wake-ups (such as Catwoman, Raven, Flash and Doomsday). EDIT: Also found that this works on Aquaman and Zod too (harder to do on these characters since their moves come out faster, but if timed right they can't get up).

If this is old then please forgive me. I actually just found this out a few days ago, apparently all my mains can do this lol.

Some more examples of meaty stuffing:

Beating Aquaman's Wake-ups
Deathstroke can also do b22 xx Sword Spin, but on Aquaman he has to do b2 xx Sword Spin because it comes out faster.

Beating Zod's Wake-ups

Flash d1d2

Wonder Woman 33
Unfortunately Doomsday can MB the Venom right away to beat it. :(

Catwoman f11

Doomsday can do this too with Earthshaker but I didn't make a video because he can stuff them normally anyways. Other characters like MMH might be able to do this as well. Usually it works with moves where the 2nd hit has a startup of around 12 frames or less.

EDIT: By the way, this could also be useful for playing mindgames because it forces your opponent to do an early wake-up attack. If they are waiting to do a delayed wake-up attack then they're going to get hit by the meaty. The window to input a wake-up attack is smaller too so they might mess up or be too late to input their wake-up.

Last edited:

Captain Oxygen

The end of one combo is the beginning of another
Nice, I should mess around with this for Lobo.
The only string I can think right now that has the 2nd hit come out quickly is 12.

Dja_Homies

Kaz...... I'm already a Fiddle.
Delayed wake ups are awesome and a great way to throw off your opponents game. It's a shame if what you are saying is true then people need to start letting delayed wake ups in their life.
Edit: forgot to mention the counters lol. Those are very great finds and I will try adding it to my gameplay. It might produce a Mind game situation.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Why am I tagged? I've been saying for people to use or consider this in their oki-tech ideas for like... 7 months now.

Annnyways, if you want my input, most characters have some attack in their neutral game that circumvents the risk of delayed wake-up. Bane's b.1, for example, is a safe-on-block move with low recovery, meaning if the opponent decides to block or delay I stay safe, but if they try to use a move you can buffer the cancel in.

Most characters don't have armor though so they can't all be so bold, but for the most part everyone has some option to cover this avenue. Using it can throw off an opponent's set-up, but you have to think that the popular characters all have ways to work through it regardless if you do it or not. MMH's orbs don't suddenly disappear if you delay for a few frames, you never actually wake-up vs batgirl, Bane has what I just mentioned, so on and so forth.

Only characters who might be affected are people like Flash who somewhat depend on tight links.

Fun fact though, certain OTGs aren't true OTGs because you can delay WU and the move will whiff. Try and figure which ones.

Last edited:

ryublaze

Noob
Wait, there are people who don't know about this or think it isn't true?
well yea i hear people saying these characters get vortexed for free but i dont think they can truly be vortexed if they can delay their wake-up to get out. and most players i play don't do this. i just wanted to put this information out there so every1 knows cuz i never see it being discussed on tym

Why am I tagged? I've been saying for people to use or consider this in their oki-tech ideas for like... 7 months now.
cuz i like u

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Yeah this should be very well-known by now.

This also blows-up like 90% of the wake-up reversal shenanigans in the corner of cast. Which is the main reason people should stop trying to use/look for ways to reverse wake-ups in the corner.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
well yea i hear people saying these characters get vortexed for free but i dont think they can truly be vortexed if they can delay their wake-up to get out. and most players i play don't do this. i just wanted to put this information out there so every1 knows cuz i never see it being discussed on tym

It depends. Catwoman and Raven's are so shitty you can time it correctly to stuff any timing of their wakeup. Switching up the timing can make it trickier but not impossible. On the other hand characters like Zod, Aquaman and staff Nightwing who are frequently noted as having no fully invincible wakeup can change the timing between their multiple wakeups so that stuffing them with standard setups is extremely difficult if not impossible. Like stuffing Nightwing's with Catwoman's f+1/b+1 is not viable if he's mixing it up enough.

This is also important because messing with the timing can open up other avenues of escape like backdashing or jumping out on wakeup. Like if you delay timing it might make it so I can't use f+1 to cover stuffing it while also covering backdash.

ALWAYS test your setups as the character waking up. Setting the CPU to do a wakeup will make them do it on the first available frame. You always want to record the wakeup setup on yourself, controlling the other character, so you can test out the different timings.

ryublaze

Noob
It depends. Catwoman and Raven's are so shitty you can time it correctly to stuff any timing of their wakeup. Switching up the timing can make it trickier but not impossible. On the other hand characters like Zod, Aquaman and staff Nightwing who are frequently noted as having no fully invincible wakeup can change the timing between their multiple wakeups so that stuffing them with standard setups is extremely difficult if not impossible. Like stuffing Nightwing's with Catwoman's f+1/b+1 is not viable if he's mixing it up enough.

This is also important because messing with the timing can open up other avenues of escape like backdashing or jumping out on wakeup. Like if you delay timing it might make it so I can't use f+1 to cover stuffing it while also covering backdash.

ALWAYS test your setups as the character waking up. Setting the CPU to do a wakeup will make them do it on the first available frame. You always want to record the wakeup setup on yourself, controlling the other character, so you can test out the different timings.
ok. well i've been labbing this for months and i still havent been able to find that sweet spot where it'll stuff both catwoman's regular and delayed wake-up. i can always find a way out and i've tried a bunch of different timings. it might just be me though, i might have to sit down with Slips one day and mess with this. <.<

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
ok. well i've been labbing this for months and i still havent been able to find that sweet spot where it'll stuff both catwoman's regular and delayed wake-up. i can always find a way out and i've tried a bunch of different timings. it might just be me though, i might have to sit down with Slips one day and mess with this. <.<
You play DS right? Not everyone has all the same options, but I know DS has some dirty stuff he can do with that spiffy backflippy string.
You might just have to respect some of the oki. :(

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
There is a sweet spot for this. When I first started doing it I didn't even tell 16 Bit about the delayed wakeup just so I could at least get used to stuffing the normal wakeup timing (this was with Scorp). After awhile, I told him about it and he said he already knew but it doesn't matter. Then when I tested it with recordings it turned out he was right, there is a timing where she can be stuffed whether she does the wakeup attack early or not, will still catch jump and still hit her before armor comes out on a mb 3. It's not easy, but it's there. Deathstroke can do it as well.

I should be able to play next weekend with you and @MajinBerserker we'll test it out to be sure.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I'm assuming you tagged me because we play all the time ;)

I highly doubt there are competitive players at this stage in the game that are unaware of delayed wake-ups. Delayed wake-ups are essential. I'm glad you made a thread about this.

Now that I'm a good 6 months deep into Ultra, I will say that the delayed wu's in that game feel a tad more "delayed" than in IGAU, for which Killer Frost could really use for slide. ;) ;)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
And this why i think not everyone will make full use of the dynamic training system MKX will offer we'll still have ppl unaware of mechanics or how to get around them, this very common.

Good shit Red.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
As another note, I feel like its worth mentioning that there ways to get around it.

Quick stands - Bane's b.23 as an example, quick stands often can't be delayed. They will cause a character to go into a standing animation as soon as they hit the ground if not tech rolled. Their WU will only have a few frames of delay, if any at all, so the difference isn't enough to cover a good OS.

Splat Stands - Depending on the length of the splat, delaying on these is also near impossible, or at the very least doing so is too inconsistent to warrant mention as a method of escape.

Also, (if unteched) there are ways to force a similar situation.

Slow stands - Normally moves have somewhat low advantage on knockdown. That is to say, people remain on the ground for a much shorter time (usually about 20 or so frames). However, some characters have attacks that force up to 45+ frames of knockdown time. The opponent can actually do delayed WU, however they would have to do it on reaction to standing since the timing is different and the window is much smaller. At the very least, while this doesn't somewhat negate delayed WU like the other two, it is bound to throw off the opponent.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
MASSIVE blowup for players who don't know about this. Seriously we have so many that spew matchup numbers and tier lists who don't understand the mechanics of the game.
I'm surprised that people don't know this. It's actually the reason I found out delayed wakeups exist in killer instinct too.

Just like injustice some meaty setups can lose if an opponent delays their wakeup that's not fully invincible. Again just like injustice you can find timings that completely beat both options if you spend another minute in training mode usually.

I figured out these exist because you could get a setup to work against an AI set to wakeup in practice (they will always wakeup at a consistent relative time) but wouldn't work consistently when I did the wakeup myself.

I actually severely dislike them because they force the wakeup input windows to be tight. I'd rather have a large buffer window for wakeups as a reversal and then force them to come out at a specific frame after that window. Having a window where you can input a wakeup and have it come out normally forces the window to be irritatingly small in order to keep variance of wakeup delay to a minimum.

As an added bonus, characters with good back->forward wakeups (Lex) can actually use this to OS certain crossup setups. Your wakeup will either come out and stuff the crossup, or it won't come out and you will be blocking in the correct direction.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
This is a good thread. It really expands on what you were talking about Saturday and fleshes your ideas out.
A+
We can mess with this more when we play this week. I look forward to reading the continued discussions here.