What's new

Defining “Neutral”. A Discussion

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Probably the most talked about term in fighters and also NRS games in relation to competitive play is “Neutral”. Another term often talked about is 50/50’s and their influence, or in some cases, dominance in the meta. This applies to all fighting games and all NRS games, but I want to focus more on MK11 here.

To the 50/50 point that gets brought up fairly frequently. Yes, there’s numerous 50/50’s in MK11 (just like in most fighting games). The difference between 50/50’s in MK11 compared to previous NRS games (MK9-Injustice 2), is that there definitely IS more of a focus on neutral in MK11 by design. So why is that a relevant observation? Let me (try to) explain.

I’ve noticed there’s a very obvious issue with people really not fully understanding what exactly neutral even is. Most people have a basic understanding, but at the same time there’s a lot of subtle misunderstandings even coming from top players. More specifically, there’s the state of neutral and also there’s playing the neutral game (step up your neuch), and understanding what both of these mean and the differences between the two.

I believe I’ve mentioned this before, but I feel it’s best to reiterate in order to not only help others understand, but I also could have a misunderstanding, which is why I wanted to have this discussion.

This is my understanding. The state of being in ‘Neutral’ is when neither player has any real positional advantage in that current moment in time, as well as no frame advantage or really any advantage. Hence the name “neutral”. So essentially, it’s a state of the game where neither player has any advantage.

Playing neutral is when both players are fighting for space on the screen in order to gain an advantage while IN the neutral state. That advantage can be anything, but usually you’re fighting for positional advantage that puts you into a range where your character best thrives. For some characters that’s within footsie range, or just outside of it. Other characters it’s trying to get all the way in and apply your pressure and 50/50’s, etc etc.

Not many players are fans of 50/50’s. Being forced into an auto guessing situation isn’t fun and isn’t necessarily a testament of skill. But, with neutral in mind, is it not the reward of the player that wins neutral to be able to apply pressure and also force you into 50/50 situations? And subsequently, is it not your punishment for losing neutral to be in this guessing situation?

I know the arguments are that there’s “fuck neutral” tools and easy ways either to get in or win the neutral. But what are some examples of this? People point to specials like Scorpion’s teleport, Jacqui’s b22/dash punch, and other things of this nature that bypass having to “play” neutral, footsies, or whatever. But isn’t this part of matchup knowledge? Knowing a character has a tool like this at their disposal, is it not still on you to find ways around it or to stop it? It seems like there’s this idea that every character HAS to play neutral, but not only that, they HAVE to play neutral the same way. This just simply isn’t true, unless I’m missing something.

So, what am I missing? Also, does your understanding or definition of neutral differ from mine? I’d love to hear your thoughts and discussion on this topic.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If "Fuck neutral" it's something to bring in discussion and we are talking about the biggest offenders, Sub-zero with a fullscreen slide that conditions players to barely move, an overhead and a jump in when in certain ranges which starts his 50-50 with a strong space control.

let alone Sheeva who brought some salt recently to the point of NRS changing their tournament layout.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
If "Fuck neutral" it's something to bring in discussion and we are talking about the biggest offenders, Sub-zero with a fullscreen slide that conditions players to barely move, an overhead and a jump in when in certain ranges which starts his 50-50 with a strong space control.

let alone Sheeva who brought some salt recently to the point of NRS changing their tournament layout.
A problem I have is, as I went over in the OP, some players think you have to play neutral in a certain way. They have this idea in their minds on what all that entails. Whether that’s a general idea or a specific one. This idea is highlighted by players calling certain moves “fuck neutral” tools. Which again illustrates my point that not only do a certain % of players think neutral is supposed to be played a certain way, it also points to the fact that a lot of them simply do not understand what neutral is. Or rather (more to the point), they don’t realize there’s a difference between the neutral state of the game vs actually playing neutral.

I’m not going to pretend I have a PhD in neutral or fighting game terminology. Or that I’m educated enough on the topic to where what I’m saying is valid. But for as long as I’ve been apart of the FGC (going on 15 years at this point), I have a lot of experience. And of course, a lot of people have experience in this space. My thing is that I have always focused more on the high level aspects or mechanics of a FG. That absolutely includes even the basic stuff like fundamentals. My perspective on something like neutral may seem different than the normal take on it, but I don’t see that as a bad thing.

And to be crystal clear, this post wasn’t at all directed towards you @Eddy Wang. Your post just reminded me about the topic/discussion as a whole.

I think "Fuck neutral" moves are moves that quickly close space and are considered strong. I also think it's a way to describe a move that people don't like and they believe is OP. So if subs slide is a "Fuck neutral" tool, then these following I guess should be an example: Kotal's cat moves, raiden's teleport, scorpion's teleport, sindel's screen jump, shang's slide, sheeva's stomp, liu kang's teleport, kabal's gas jump, geras' low sand, etc.

Notice that alot of these I've never seen someone say is a Fuck neutral tool. And that's bc they don't think it's strong. Which is why that term makes no sense. It's just another way to describe a move that people do not like.

Last edited:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
A fuck neutral tool to me is like Kortal fast forward advancing long range mids that has 3 different enders that are dam near impossible to wiff punish. This game has alot of strings like this. The game seems confused by using strings you would find in 3d games in a 2d game.

To me neutral is when neither player has advantage over the other. This could be both players spaced apart throwing out normals to confirm into a combo, throwing projectiles for some chip, laying trap moves for a setup, etc. Because neither players is at advantage both have the opportunity to start their game whether it but keep away for zoners or getting in for rush down and grapplers.

As far as "Fuck Neutral" moves go, I wouldn't go with the expected definition. I wouldn't consider Sub's slide or Scorpion's teleport "fuck neutral" moves because they're not safe on block and don't give them advantage from a +0 situation. Getting hit by these moves is the fault of the defender for not being prepared to block. Now a good example of a "Fuck Neutral" move would be Skarlet's slow blood ball. It moves slow enough for her to follow it and its her turn. Unless your character has a tool to deal with it, you have to hold her pressure.

An example of a strong neutral tool would be a move that either keeps your game going or gets it started easily. A good example for a zoning character would be Kitana's fannado. It allows her to remain plus at a distance and slows people down from getting in on her. An example for a close range character would be Kotal's half screen sword slide. It gets him in quickly where he can start his strike-throw.

The biggest problem with neutral in this game is that we're rarely even in neutral. There are too many mechanics that lean towards stealing a turn or starting a combo. 90% of the wakeup game is fishing for a way to steal your turn.

jaccquis dash punch / shrapnel, sub slide, errons f4, kabal everything almost, geras low sand / command grab / the thing that fixes you on the ground, the jump ins in this game (the guy jumps and you know it, but, it is your risk to do anything), fatal blow speed of light dont punish me because i need to win because if i dont win some matches im going to stop playing the game and wb is going to lose money so better i win some shit pressing shit and dont think and lets put some fb gaps between it so ninjakilla can win matches reacting to all that so everybody is gonna think that the game is balanced even if the pro players who win lash the game because they know the ammount of shit in it.

What I learned is: Mk players are mk players. They are fans. No matter what shit the game has in it, as long as your favorite char is there and you can press some impatient shit and win some matches, and the game is not zoning related and has more offensive tools...that is ok.
WB wants to sell a product, and the consumers dont want balance.....neutral....they want MKX....and this....so, here we are.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
A problem I have is, as I went over in the OP, some players think you have to play neutral in a certain way. They have this idea in their minds on what all that entails. Whether that’s a general idea or a specific one. This idea is highlighted by players calling certain moves “fuck neutral” tools. Which again illustrates my point that not only do a certain % of players think neutral is supposed to be played a certain way, it also points to the fact that a lot of them simply do not understand what neutral is. Or rather (more to the point), they don’t realize there’s a difference between the neutral state of the game vs actually playing neutral.

I’m not going to pretend I have a PhD in neutral or fighting game terminology. Or that I’m educated enough on the topic to where what I’m saying is valid. But for as long as I’ve been apart of the FGC (going on 15 years at this point), I have a lot of experience. And of course, a lot of people have experience in this space. My thing is that I have always focused more on the high level aspects or mechanics of a FG. That absolutely includes even the basic stuff like fundamentals. My perspective on something like neutral may seem different than the normal take on it, but I don’t see that as a bad thing.

And to be crystal clear, this post wasn’t at all directed towards you @Eddy Wang. Your post just reminded me about the topic/discussion as a whole.
Non taken bro, we're good.
As far as i know, when i play skarlet i know my opponents get uncomfortable to past her range, and while i do feel like i'm playing "solid neutral" the other person might not have the same experience since i''m the one holding the cards, either by life lead, chipping and keep pushing them away in order to frustrate them and provoke a riskier behaviour which i can capitalize even more damage.

I think neutral and playing neutral are two different sides of the same coin, as we noticed some ppl perceive as neutral being where two characters are separated from each other, while others think it's when neither has advantage on the other.

When in fact there in some matches, there is always a character with better space control over the other to the point of forcing other players to automatically to back themselves into a corner.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
When in fact there in some matches, there is always a character with better space control over the other to the point of forcing other players to automatically to back themselves into a corner.
That makes me think of a Magic The Gathering strategy article called "Who's the Beatdown?" https://articles.starcitygames.com/premium/whos-the-beatdown/

It just makes me think that part of playing good neutral is knowing what your characters role is in the matchdown. Basically, are you the rushdown or the zoner.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Neutral or lack there of has never been the issue with MK11. Its obvious this game is far more neutral focused than MKX outside of a few neutral breakers such as Bionic Bounce. The issue has and will always be the variation system as currently done does not work.
I agree that the variation system as it currently is is far from perfect and without a doubt flawed.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Non taken bro, we're good.
As far as i know, when i play skarlet i know my opponents get uncomfortable to past her range, and while i do feel like i'm playing "solid neutral" the other person might not have the same experience since i''m the one holding the cards, either by life lead, chipping and keep pushing them away in order to frustrate them and provoke a riskier behaviour which i can capitalize even more damage.

I think neutral and playing neutral are two different sides of the same coin, as we noticed some ppl perceive as neutral being where two characters are separated from each other, while others think it's when neither has advantage on the other.

You bring up a good point. Being proficient in neutral, and having a good spacing and footsies game, leads to you being able to walk your opponent into the corner without ever committing to any unsafe attack. It’s actually one of the most fun things to do for a player like me.

Now, most average players won’t “let you” walk them into the corner. But not in a good way. They simply will advance into your footsie range and get hit, or (more likely) they will try to jump towards you, forfeiting everything, from neutral and footsies to positioning. Unfortunately, there isn’t a plethora of super reliable universal antiairs, but there’s for sure plenty of options per character for dealing with jump ins, especially “random” jumps in neutral.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
This fight is the definition of neutral game, and the best player winning.
reactions being rewarded, patience....calculated risk.

Do you, kids that play mk...really wanna put some work and try to play like that? I dont think so.

Literally just rewatched this the other day. It’s such an incredible set. To answer your question, for me personally, absolutely. This type of neutral and footsie play is precisely the reason I love high level play in certain FGs. There’s so much going on in a set like this that most people don’t even realize. And to the average casual player, they certainly don’t understand why this even is a godlike set other than it being “really close games with a couple of clutch comebacks”.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Thanks for the interesting topic @Juggs. I agree that a lot of distinctions between different definitions of "neutral" and between different flavors of "playing neutral" get lost in most discussions.

Case in point: Just my own observation here, but it seems like when most people talk about "playing neutral", they're mainly talking about playing footsies: A sequence of two players moving relatively linearly in and out of each other's attack ranges, trying to bait a mistake or gain a positional advantage. As you said, it's just one form of playing neutral (a smaller circle inside a larger circle), but it's the form that comes easiest to mind.

Given that, when people bring up "fuck neutral" tools, they're most often talking about moves that circumvent footsies. Usually some kind of extra movement ability that lets one player get in and start their offense pretty much whenever they want, with no real regard to spacing or the other player's effective range. Tend to be very fast and hard to react to, or very nonlinear and hard to defend against. We know the top examples: Scorpion's teleport, Sub's slide, Liu's dragon kick, Jacqui's bionic bounce.

It's legit to counter that "fuck neutral" tools are just a different way to play neutral. Also legit to point out that they're not really broken, because they balance high reward with high risk (well, except for Jacqui, who's like 95% reward at all times). Both are true, but are beside the point.

People hate "fuck neutral" tools because they completely dictate how the match gets played. Just the move being there means you're forced to spend the entire match watching for it, moving an inch at a time, choking the block button and trying to react to it. Meanwhile the "fuck neutral" player gets to move at will the whole match and just wait for you to make one mistake. Even if your opponent isn't skilled, the move still forces you to play their game. It's not that you can't win the match, but it's extra stressful and kills half the fun of your own character.

Anyway... I agree there should be a variety of characters and winnable "neutral" play styles. Not everyone should play footsies (or at least not the same way). But I do wish devs would be very cautious and very limited about adding these super-movement abilities, which feel so disruptive to a match even if they're balanced on paper.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
People hate "fuck neutral" tools because they completely dictate how the match gets played. Just the move being there means you're forced to spend the entire match watching for it, moving an inch at a time, choking the block button and trying to react to it. Meanwhile the "fuck neutral" player gets to move at will the whole match and just wait for you to make one mistake. Even if your opponent isn't skilled, the move still forces you to play their game. It's not that you can't win the match, but it's extra stressful and kills half the fun of your own character.
I've always chalked that up to just being part of the matchup. Sometimes you're the character that gets to dictate pace, sometimes your opponent's character is the character that gets to dictate pace. I find it stressful, but it's never really killed my fun.