What's new

Guide Defending against Doomsday's Offense Discussion + tips by REO and Tom Brady

REO

Undead
Defending Against Doomsday by REO --

DoomsDay is a heavy rushdown character that has many ways to get in and open you up. With proper knowledge on his move set, you can make withstanding his offense more bearable.

Blocking Earth Shake
DoomsDay's Earth Shake attack is a two-hitting special that quickly transitions from overhead to low. The best way to learn the timing in blocking this attack is to go to practice mode and record yourself spamming Earth Shake until you can block it with ease. The low part of the attack just does 2% on hit so it's not that big of a deal if you get caught off guard. In general, blocking high against DoomsDay is better than continuously blocking low because his damage output from lows is minimal.

Other advice / tips
- Earth Shake eats through armor attacks because it's an extremely fast two-hitting special so avoid trying to panic with armor.
- Meter Burn Earth Shake can ALSO be blocked if you have the timing down for blocking the regular Earth Shake so there is no real mix-up between the two.
- Blocking an Earth Shake gives you some distance away from DoomsDay so you are no longer in his face.

Defending from Meter Burn Venom (Shoulder Charge)
Meter Burn Venom has armor on the attack and also leaves DoomsDay at advantage in your face when blocked (+6). You can trigger block escape to react to DoomsDay using Meter Burn Venom and negate his offense while pushing him away. Having meter management is important here because as long as your meter matches his, you can trade super bars with him.

If you do not have any super meter, there are still some options you can do after blocking a Meter Burn Venom:

It is important to know DoomsDay must follow up with a d+light (crouching jab) after a Meter Burn Venom is blocked because it is his FASTEST attack and everything else he tries to follow up with will most likely get beat out. Now knowing DoomsDay will have to commit into using this, you are now opened to options such as backdashing to avoid the d+light and escaping his pressure. DoomsDay will be forced into guessing and mixing up d+light, dashing forward, using a shoulder charge, or jumping.

Options -- Counters
Meter Burn Venom on block then d+light or jump (back and neutral) -- Backdash
Meter Burn Venom on block then forward dash or shoulder -- Poke with fast attack or special
Meter Burn Venom on block then jump forward -- Forward dash

Other advice / tips
- In the corner it is best to block or use block escape when dealing with Meter Burn Venom.

Countering Supernova (Unblockable)
Many characters can dash forward or backwards to make the Supernova whiff. When the Supernova whiffs, you can whiff punish DoomsDay for a full combo with a jump-in. Characters who cannot dash out to avoid the attack can always meter burn their Bounce attack (f+hard or b+hard) to absorb the fall and punish for a combo.

Other advice / tips
- The regular version and meter burn version have two different timings of when DoomsDay drops from the sky. This can throw you off if you're trying to dash out of the way. DoomsDay drops down earlier from the regular version. When he uses the meter burn version, he will drop down a little bit later.
- If you are outside range from the regular Supernova, then always know you will be dealing with the meter burn version (if he decides to get in) which has a different timing.
- DoomsDay players sometimes like to bait you into wasting meter for a bounce attack when you are full-screen by doing a normal Supernova to trick you. (dashing forward from full-screen is almost like an options select because you dash past the meter burn one, and you get in range to punish his regular whiffed Supernova for some characters.

Fighting against Doom for All Character Power
DoomsDay cannot be launched in this form and will always take the same amount of hitstun from every attack. It does not matter if the attack you use is an attack that gives a ton of advantage on hit, or an attack that gives disadvantage on hit. ALL attacks will always give the same advantage of hit stun. DoomsDay cannot not be knocked out of the air or anti-aired for full combo either. Bounce attacks also do not launch DoomsDay.

- AVOID using moves that have long active frames on hit because DoomsDay will just take the hit and then punish you.
- Use moves that have very low recovery such as jabs and low pokes. Often times you will be able to mash DoomsDay out and force him to stop what he is doing and to retaliate with a d+light of his own.
- Stay calm and remain blocking. Remember that DoomsDay has a huge cooldown after using this character power and to defend properly.
- PARRIES can still knock down DoomsDay during his character power.

Jumping d+Hard (Splash)
DoomsDay's splash is an air attack with tremendous hitbox and priority attached. Not many characters can effectively anti-air DoomsDay out of this attack so it can be difficult to fight against at first. You can use block escape after DoomsDay jumps in with splash to get him off you if needed. If the DoomsDay players gets careless with spamming splash, you can dash under him to avoid it if their spacing is off. Splash does extremely low chip damage so do not get overly impatient if he is abusing it on you in the corner. Instead wait for him to slip up and end in a string or special that ends his offense or gives you an options to escape.

It is very important to know that you need a character with an attack that has a disjointed hitbox to use as a reliable anti-air against DoomsDay. Due to the hitbox attached to the splash, it will penetrate through many anti-airs reaching the hurtbox. Characters that can anti-air DoomsDay out of splash reliably from crouch or special attack:

Aquaman
Bane
Green Arrow
Hawkgirl
Joker
Sinestro
Grundy
Wonder Woman
Nightwing (staff stance)
DoomsDay

2,2, Mix-Ups
DoomsDay has a 50/50 with his 2,2, string. He can choose to end the string by doing 2,2,1+3 which will cause an unblockable grab to come out. You can avoid this grab by backdashing. Once he conditions you to backdash out, he can start doing other things like 2,2~Earth Shaker or Venom which will catch you trying to backdash. Hence this is a 50/50. It's always aware to know of your options so you don't lose to the same thing over and over.

3,3 Frame Traps
DoomsDay has access to frame traps off of his 3,3 string on block which is +10. On block he can go for a grab attempt, d+1, or sweep. Don't always try to mash out of this because you will be beat out easily. Backdashing mid-screen will avoid his follow ups but then he can always do a Venom to catch you. In the corner this is more deadly because he has access to a plethora of options.

I hope this helps you guys deal with DoomsDay's offense better.

Doomsday Bible and Strategies by Tom Brady --

Ok guys, I will share my knowledge on fighting DD...

1. Countering MB Supernova:

MB Supernova will track to some extent and can hit you from anywhere on the screen. It is most used when the opponent is at a distance. By using your MB B3 after DD has left the screen, you can absorb the attack and launch DD. However, DD has options... If this is the ONLY way you know to avoid the MB Supernova then you are in trouble..

The non MB Supernova will not go any further then 1/4 screen, so when you try to use MB B3 from range, the non MB Supernova falls out of YOUR range, causing you to waste 1 bar of meter while DD actually gains meter for using a special move. Once you are out of meter, then the DD player is free to abuse MB Supernova on you as the only way you ever learned to avoid it is with your MB B3. Also, you can become hesitant to use MB B3 even when you have meter because you are anticipating the non MB version, which the DD player can now MB supernova you even when you have meter as you were "mixed up" as to which version he would use.

The DD player can also activate their trait and then MB Supernova, using their trait to absorb your MB B3, then recovering fast enough to combo you as your are still in your recovery animation.

If you are going to use meter, then use a MBDC (Meter Burn Dash Cancel) after DD has left the screen. If he uses the MB Supernova, you absorb the hit and cancel your MB attack in time to full combo punish. If he uses the non MB Supernova, you still cancel with a forward dash and recover in time to punish the DD players whiffed attack.

Besides MB dash cancel, you can also dash after DD has gone off the screen and dash under the MB Supernova and recover in time to punish. If the DD player used a non MB Supernova, the attack falls short of your dash, and you are still able to punish them.

Now, from a distance there is no guess by dashing. Dashing after DD has left the screen avoids the MB Supernova and the non MB version will not reach from a distance. However, up close there is a mix up if you are using a character who does not have a good forward dash, such as Green Lantern. If you are using a character with a bad forward dash, you must forward dash after DD goes off screen to avoid the MB Supernova, and dash right away (before DD leaves the screen) on the non MB version. Characters with a bad forward dash MUST guess when up close, and a lot of the time the MB version will still hit even if you dash late because of how bad your forward dash is. This is why you want to MBDC at all times if you are using a character with a bad forward dash.

If you are using a character with a great forward such as Black Adam, then you can always dash after DD leaves the screen and avoid both versions of the Supernova while up close, negating any kind of mix up without the use of meter.

2. Countering MB Venom:

Non MB Venom is -9 and combo punished by most characters with D1~special. Some characters with fast jabs can full combo punish.

MB Venom is advantage and the DD player can D1~Earth Shake beat out any of your pokes barring a super or armor attack. The DD player can D3 sweep follow up and certain characters cannot interrupt that either. You can always back dash and avoid both the sweep and D1, even if you are cornered. If you are a character such as Green Lantern, and have a bad back dash, you will need to time your back dash (not hard). If you are a character such as Black Adam with a great back dash, you can simply back dash with no timing needed and avoid the D1 or sweep follow up.

The DD player can follow up MB Venom with their F+2 or jumping body splash and hit characters with bad back dashing out of their back dash, but characters with great back dashing will avoid this. In fact, characters with great back dashing will avoid every follow DD has except for another Venom. At that point, you can block the non MB Venom follow up and combo punish him. If he uses another MB Venom, he has not spent 2 bars for 18% damage reward, or for nothing besides chip damage if you happened to block the follow up MB Venom.

In corners, DD can use F2, body splash, etc even on characters with good back dashing.

HOWEVER... Keep in mind that you can D1 DD out of EVERY option besides him doing a D1, sweep(only uninterruptable vs some characters), MB B3/F3, or super. Also, unless he follows up with a standing D1 or sweep you can full combo interrupt any other follow up with a fast jab string. So, there IS a mix up where the risk reward is in YOUR favor due to DD's low damage output.

Be aware of something if you try to MB B3 DD out of his MB Venom. A smart DD player will not MB the attack until the first hit makes contact. By the DD player doing this, the first hit will contact your MB B3 armor and the second hit comes out too fast, causing it to beat out your MB B3 as the universal MB attacks only have 1 hit of armor. The only way your universal armor launching attacks (MB B3/F3) will beat out his MB Venom is if he uses the MB right away in order to gain armor on the way in.

You always have the option to push block the second hit of MB Venom when you have 1 bar of super meter. Make sure to push block the second hit and not the first to insure that the DD player also spends 1 bar of meter.

3. Countering Trait:

His trait negates ALL of HIS armor. In other words, NONE of his armor attacks have armor while his trait is active, not even his super. This means that you can ATTACK DD while his trait is active and not worry about any of his armor attacks.

Some characters naturally counter his trait pretty easy, others do not. For characters that do not, you must anticipate his activation. If I am a Green Lantern player I won't wait until he surprises me with his activation before I do anything, I will try to anticipate it and MB Mini-Gun him right as he activates. If I am a Black Adam player I will MB Lightning as he activates. Most characters have some option like this, however some do not. Again, do not forget that you do not have to deal with the armor on his MB shoulder while trait is active, so you can attack him and use the fact that DD has slower normals then most of the cast against him.

While in trait he does have reduced block and hit stun.. HOWEVER.. Some attacks still retain their guard crush properties on him. An example is Batman.. Even though DD's trait is active, Batman's 113 on block will still cause guard stun on DD and keep him at disadvantage. DD would have to intentionally get hit by the last hit of the string and use his reduced hit stun to counter. Batman can always use 11~MB Batarang which will retain its +38 on block despite DD having his trait active and should DD release block after 11 in an attempt to get hit by the 3, the MB Batarang option will hit and still leave Batman at advantage to continue attacking.

Remember, while in his trait, DD takes less hit stun. This means that you should only use attacks that allow you to recover quickly to avoid DD taking the hit, then recovering in time to combo you.

4. Dealing with Jumping D+3 Body Splash:

There are a few characters that can anti-air this attack just fine, others cannot. For those that cannot, you must out space this attack and punish it as it whiffs in front of you. if you have read what I have written so far, you WILL slow DD down enough to actually now have a footsie and spacing fight which will allow you to now out space him.

Universally, characters can MB B3 DD out of his body splash so there is a universal option to anti-air him.

there are several character specific ways of fighting DD but I wanted to keep this as "in general" as possible.

Always remember that DD is a high risk, low to mid reward character so the risk/reward is almost always in your favor.

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Great info, wish I would've read this before getting blown up 3 games in a row my doomsday. Not saying I would've been able to apply all of this into my gameplay right away but info > no info.

HungryforPasta

Come and Get it!
??? A how to beat dooms day thread in the doomsday character forum?
that's not something i would have thought i'd see on the first day.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
??? A how to beat dooms day thread in the doomsday character forum?
that's not something i would have thought i'd see on the first day.
An REO Public Service.

This character is going to be the cause of a lot of white hot internet fury. Gotta get a jump on that.

Dandy J

i can see all the amine
i blocked the ground pound a lot in training mode but i still cant block it in matches help

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
Countering Supernova (Unblockable)
Many characters can dash forward or backwards to make the Supernova whiff. When the Supernova whiffs, you can whiff punish DoomsDay for a full combo with a jump-in. Characters who cannot dash out to avoid the attack can always meter burn their Bounce attack (f+hard or b+hard) to absorb the fall and punish for a combo.

Other advice / tips
- The regular version and meter burn version have two different timings of when DoomsDay drops from the sky. This can throw you off if you're trying to dash out of the way. DoomsDay drops down earlier from the regular version. When he uses the meter burn version, he will drop down a little bit later.
- If you are outside range from the regular supernova, then always know you will be dealing with the meter burn version which has a different timing.
Sent from my mobile
REO

What can I do about this when Im cornered and with no meter? On wake up Im forced to block so while Im in block stun its seems to I dont have space to forward dash out! My timing with the dashing out at mid to full screen
isnt a problem but once Doomsday in close or has me on wakeup it almost seems free damage for him. If I miss time my wake up attack Ill get beat out or trade with him and if I do have meter my timing for a B/F 3 MB is poor so im just throwing meter away. Only decent solution Ive had is Block Escape when Doomsday is on the way up.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I love how a good number of these tips aren't really telling you how to deal with things, rather, they're telling you how to soften the blow.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I'd also like to add something for defending against his meteor smash move. You can mb a b3 to absorb the hit and then get a free launch into a combo.

Ok guys, I will share my knowledge on fighting DD...

1. Countering MB Supernova:

MB Supernova will track to some extent and can hit you from anywhere on the screen. It is most used when the opponent is at a distance. By using your MB B3 after DD has left the screen, you can absorb the attack and launch DD. However, DD has options... If this is the ONLY way you know to avoid the MB Supernova then you are in trouble..

The non MB Supernova will not go any further then 1/4 screen, so when you try to use MB B3 from range, the non MB Supernova falls out of YOUR range, causing you to waste 1 bar of meter while DD actually gains meter for using a special move. Once you are out of meter, then the DD player is free to abuse MB Supernova on you as the only way you ever learned to avoid it is with your MB B3. Also, you can become hesitant to use MB B3 even when you have meter because you are anticipating the non MB version, which the DD player can now MB supernova you even when you have meter as you were "mixed up" as to which version he would use.

The DD player can also activate their trait and then MB Supernova, using their trait to absorb your MB B3, then recovering fast enough to combo you as your are still in your recovery animation.

If you are going to use meter, then use a MBDC (Meter Burn Dash Cancel) after DD has left the screen. If he uses the MB Supernova, you absorb the hit and cancel your MB attack in time to full combo punish. If he uses the non MB Supernova, you still cancel with a forward dash and recover in time to punish the DD players whiffed attack.

Besides MB dash cancel, you can also dash after DD has gone off the screen and dash under the MB Supernova and recover in time to punish. If the DD player used a non MB Supernova, the attack falls short of your dash, and you are still able to punish them.

Now, from a distance there is no guess by dashing. Dashing after DD has left the screen avoids the MB Supernova and the non MB version will not reach from a distance. However, up close there is a mix up if you are using a character who does not have a good forward dash, such as Green Lantern. If you are using a character with a bad forward dash, you must forward dash after DD goes off screen to avoid the MB Supernova, and dash right away (before DD leaves the screen) on the non MB version. Characters with a bad forward dash MUST guess when up close, and a lot of the time the MB version will still hit even if you dash late because of how bad your forward dash is. This is why you want to MBDC at all times if you are using a character with a bad forward dash.

If you are using a character with a great forward such as Black Adam, then you can always dash after DD leaves the screen and avoid both versions of the Supernova while up close, negating any kind of mix up without the use of meter.

2. Countering MB Venom:

Non MB Venom is -9 and combo punished by most characters with D1~special. Some characters with fast jabs can full combo punish.

MB Venom is advantage and the DD player can D1~Earth Shake beat out any of your pokes barring a super or armor attack. The DD player can D3 sweep follow up and certain characters cannot interrupt that either. You can always back dash and avoid both the sweep and D1, even if you are cornered. If you are a character such as Green Lantern, and have a bad back dash, you will need to time your back dash (not hard). If you are a character such as Black Adam with a great back dash, you can simply back dash with no timing needed and avoid the D1 or sweep follow up.

The DD player can follow up MB Venom with their F+2 or jumping body splash and hit characters with bad back dashing out of their back dash, but characters with great back dashing will avoid this. In fact, characters with great back dashing will avoid every follow DD has except for another Venom. At that point, you can block the non MB Venom follow up and combo punish him. If he uses another MB Venom, he has not spent 2 bars for 18% damage reward, or for nothing besides chip damage if you happened to block the follow up MB Venom.

In corners, DD can use F2, body splash, etc even on characters with good back dashing.

HOWEVER... Keep in mind that you can D1 DD out of EVERY option besides him doing a D1, sweep(only uninterruptable vs some characters), MB B3/F3, or super. Also, unless he follows up with a standing D1 or sweep you can full combo interrupt any other follow up with a fast jab string. So, there IS a mix up where the risk reward is in YOUR favor due to DD's low damage output.

Be aware of something if you try to MB B3 DD out of his MB Venom. A smart DD player will not MB the attack until the first hit makes contact. By the DD player doing this, the first hit will contact your MB B3 armor and the second hit comes out too fast, causing it to beat out your MB B3 as the universal MB attacks only have 1 hit of armor. The only way your universal armor launching attacks (MB B3/F3) will beat out his MB Venom is if he uses the MB right away in order to gain armor on the way in.

You always have the option to push block the second hit of MB Venom when you have 1 bar of super meter. Make sure to push block the second hit and not the first to insure that the DD player also spends 1 bar of meter.

3. Countering Trait:

His trait negates ALL of HIS armor. In other words, NONE of his armor attacks have armor while his trait is active, not even his super. This means that you can ATTACK DD while his trait is active and not worry about any of his armor attacks.

Some characters naturally counter his trait pretty easy, others do not. For characters that do not, you must anticipate his activation. If I am a Green Lantern player I won't wait until he surprises me with his activation before I do anything, I will try to anticipate it and MB Mini-Gun him right as he activates. If I am a Black Adam player I will MB Lightning as he activates. Most characters have some option like this, however some do not. Again, do not forget that you do not have to deal with the armor on his MB shoulder while trait is active, so you can attack him and use the fact that DD has slower normals then most of the cast against him.

While in trait he does have reduced block and hit stun.. HOWEVER.. Some attacks still retain their guard crush properties on him. An example is Batman.. Even though DD's trait is active, Batman's 113 on block will still cause guard stun on DD and keep him at disadvantage. DD would have to intentionally get hit by the last hit of the string and use his reduced hit stun to counter. Batman can always use 11~MB Batarang which will retain its +38 on block despite DD having his trait active and should DD release block after 11 in an attempt to get hit by the 3, the MB Batarang option will hit and still leave Batman at advantage to continue attacking.

Remember, while in his trait, DD takes less hit stun. This means that you should only use attacks that allow you to recover quickly to avoid DD taking the hit, then recovering in time to combo you.

4. Dealing with Jumping D+3 Body Splash:

There are a few characters that can anti-air this attack just fine, others cannot. For those that cannot, you must out space this attack and punish it as it whiffs in front of you. if you have read what I have written so far, you WILL slow DD down enough to actually now have a footsie and spacing fight which will allow you to now out space him.

Universally, characters can MB B3 DD out of his body splash so there is a universal option to anti-air him.

there are several character specific ways of fighting DD but I wanted to keep this as "in general" as possible.

Always remember that DD is a high risk, low to mid reward character so the risk/reward is almost always in your favor.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
tom can't you watch their meter while he's in the air? and if he uses MB supernova you can b3 MB punish it all day, if he doesn't use MB then your good, isn't there a window for MB' ing supernova like most other moves?

If you are fast enough to react to Doomsday doing a meter burn then the doomsday you are playing is NOT playing you properly and not putting enough pressure on you. Half of doomsday's game is psychological more than anything else.

Like everything else in this game, you've literally just gotta say YOLO and commit to something. Doesn't matter what it is, just go fucking do it. You've got a 50/50 chance of being right and punishing, and if you're wrong then you're only eating a little bit of damage anyways. Not exactly in Doomsday's favor lol.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
It's a short time after the meter burn cue and when the actual attack hits.
yeah just tested it, the meter leaves as he's coming down :( so maybe they can patch it to where it leaves as soon as you actually MB and make the MB window tighter, or is that removing the mix up of it all?

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Anxiously awaiting the next anti-bible for the other low tier, confirmed-nerf-getting characters while Aquaman, Superman, and Batman continue to win tournaments.