What's new

Question Deathstroke mirror match

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
So i went to the break and played in the weekly and made it all the way to grand finals cheesing my way with deathstroke and then when i was up 2-0 i got deathstroke picked against me. in the match i let my tournament nerves get the best of me and i dropped a lot of inputs but regardless, it was pretty obvious i didnt know how to approach the mirror match. i tried to block low buns and punish with my own low guns but got bad inputs, however i realized that it didnt matter if i did because we would just be returning chip. any tips on how to approach the mirror match?

at 5:22 is when he decides to mirror me

ProudDisciple

Average at Best
I actually watched this on youtube yesterday. Patience man patience! Sometimes its tough dealing with the same stuff you dish out but I think it boiled down to not controlling your emotions. The biggest difference I noticed was how affected you were and how calm he was.

Its really important to learn how to deal with DS even as a DS player so for the future try and learn from the mistakes that were made and attempt to be more calm when and if you find yourself in a similar situation.

I feel Meter management and whoever can capitalize on knockdowns will come out on top. You must use the block and slowly move up approach and remember to stay blocking low since the low guns do less chip.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
I actually watched this on youtube yesterday. Patience man patience! Sometimes its tough dealing with the same stuff you dish out but I think it boiled down to not controlling your emotions. The biggest difference I noticed was how affected you were and how calm he was.

Its really important to learn how to deal with DS even as a DS player so for the future try and learn from the mistakes that were made and attempt to be more calm when and if you find yourself in a similar situation.

I feel Meter management and whoever can capitalize on knockdowns will come out on top. You must use the block and slowly move up approach and remember to stay blocking low since the low guns do less chip.
thanks a lot dude. definitely i got way too antsy in those sets. i have been entering tournaments and being a potmonster for over 3 years now and this is the first time ive ever played in finals, and i have choked on tournament nerves many of times in the past. this was the worst i think ive ever had them. however, in every game that i have played in the past i have always found mirror matches to by my weakest point. i want that to change

You dropped combos, and you were going to style combos with strict timing. BNB should be 323 f23 XX special EVERYTIME that will always land in any knock up situation.

Next, after blocking a low gun you are free to dash forward or jump the low gun completely and punish.

Punish the pizza cutter with a throw.

Use the b22 string more

Learn how to input low guns :p

NEVER go for interactables against deathstroke. He will make your ass look so free if you do.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
You dropped combos, and you were going to style combos with strict timing. BNB should be 323 f23 XX special EVERYTIME that will always land in any knock up situation.
actually thats what i was going for every single time but got F3 instead of F23

Dude I just saw this. As a poster above me said block low guns dash jumpin full punish also b1u2 mixup is too good to not use. I am from philly--thats pretty close to the break--if you ever wanna explore the matchup pm me

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

D

Deleted member 9158

I saw the expression on your face change as soon as he mirrored you, it was pretty priceless.

The gameplay was hilarious, and you got out-cheesed by your own character, doesn't get any better than that.

But in all seriousness, I think treating the mirror match for DS is the same strategy as anyone else. Slowly make your way in, and then kick his ass up close. There were a couple times (I think, it was honestly very hard to tell who was who at some points) where you got in and you did some damage. So the only advice is, to not trade, but to make your way in slowly, I guess.

Mandy

Played too much Soul Calibur
Was just about to post this video too. Normally I would catch Soul Calibur on the break, but I've noticed they've moved to Injustice, and I gusta.

Playing the mirror is pretty much a bitch. While this advice is coming from me playing Sinestro mirrors, I find that it's best to zone when you're in the lead, and creep up for combos when you're behind. It's going to be a long frustrating tug-o-war.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
You've got the right idea with Low Shot. About 90% of everything you do should be low shots. You should never use the Machine Gun because the startup and recovery are both too slow and it does less chip than gunshot. The only other shot you should use is Air Shot if your opponent starts jumping around.

If you get into a pattern of gunshot trades with your opponent, you can safely jump their retaliation after a blocked gunshot. Using air shot right before you hit the ground works pretty well. If your low gunshot hits, you should always follow up with another low gunshot.

Never be the first one to use Sword Flip.

Also, it goes without saying but don't even think about using your trait.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
If you find yourself low on life and unable to trade against the other Deathstroke you need to learn how to dash in after each bullet so that you can even up the life lead. Did you see the video on youtube by Tom Brady and REO on Overreacting to Deathstroke part 2? Alot of good information was given there.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
If you find yourself low on life and unable to trade against the other Deathstroke you need to learn how to dash in after each bullet so that you can even up the life lead. Did you see the video on youtube by Tom Brady and REO on Overreacting to Deathstroke part 2? Alot of good information was given there.
there was one point of the match taht i tried doing that in but when i got up close i wasnt effective

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
You've got the right idea with Low Shot. About 90% of everything you do should be low shots. You should never use the Machine Gun because the startup and recovery are both too slow and it does less chip than gunshot. The only other shot you should use is Air Shot if your opponent starts jumping around.

If you get into a pattern of gunshot trades with your opponent, you can safely jump their retaliation after a blocked gunshot. Using air shot right before you hit the ground works pretty well. If your low gunshot hits, you should always follow up with another low gunshot.

Never be the first one to use Sword Flip.

Also, it goes without saying but don't even think about using your trait.
Now that he`s covered the zoning part, and that I had my nap, let me explain what to do when you're on the recieving end of the bullets:

You have 2 choices: Either you take the zoning momentum for yourself, or you start rushing down.

Either way, you're going to have to get in a little. How do you do that? Just like everybody else. Fortunately for you, it's a DS mirror. So your options are a little more wide than some others.

After a blocked low shot, you can either dash in or do a low-shot of your own. Why? 'cause you have enough time to do so.

If you DO decide to get in, stop at Sword Flip distance, and like he said, DO NOT Sword Flip first. And then footsies will inevitably be played here.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
DS mirrors are stupid
I used to agree, but once you actually get in some practice with another good DS player, some patterns start to emerge that make it not so stupid. Once you start to learn your opponent's style, you can actually have a lot of fun in the MU. After Zero and I got in our practice, I haven't had issues with any other DS, even perfecting more than a few of them. It's a great feeling when you can just dance through their barrage of gunshots and run them down.

Srryimwhte

RM PTH
So i went to the break and played in the weekly and made it all the way to grand finals cheesing my way with deathstroke and then when i was up 2-0 i got deathstroke picked against me. in the match i let my tournament nerves get the best of me and i dropped a lot of inputs but regardless, it was pretty obvious i didnt know how to approach the mirror match. i tried to block low buns and punish with my own low guns but got bad inputs, however i realized that it didnt matter if i did because we would just be returning chip. any tips on how to approach the mirror match?

at 5:22 is when he decides to mirror me
do you play on psn o xbox i can show you how to win this