What's new

Strategy - Hellfire Dealing with Scorpion FBC pressure.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I was going to just post this within another thread but I'd just like it to get a little more exposure.

A lot of people aren't familiar with how to deal with Scorpions FBC pressure, mostly because the game is still new. I've ran into quite a few good players that actually had no experience against it. It can be really frustrating to sit and block his loop while he builds meter and deals chip damage. My goal with this thread is to just inform people on what they can do to help defend against it.

214 fbc 214 fbc 214 jails and is a true block string. If you commit to blocking the entire loop Scorpion will deal about 8.25% of chip damage without flame aura active. He'll also build a considerable amount of meter in the process and can dash cancel the last loop which leaves him at +5. It can be very frustrating to deal with.

The best way to escape the loop is to eat the last hit of 214 which will send you across the screen. The 4 deals 5% damage on hit combined with the chip from the 21 it equals out to 6.5% damage. If flame aura is active it will round off to about 1-2% more.

Scorpion can counter an attempt at eating the 4 safely with an EX spear anywhere on the screen. It's a total guess that uses a bar of meter and leaves him at -5. It's still a guessing game ideal for Scorpion because it's safe and you have a chance at landing another combo into more block loops but it can shift momentum for the other player if they decide to block the 4.

In the corner Scorpion can also cancel 214 into flame aura to prevent eating the 4 from ending his pressure. This leads to pretty big damage but up close flame aura is punishable on block at -11.

People have mentioned that Scorpion can just 21 fbc into 214 to punish an attempt at eating the 4 to get out but it's actually not effective. If you plan on eating the 4 you can either press a button (uppercut/fast strings/etc) or buffer an armored move right before when the 4 would come out. If the Scorpion player cancels from 21 you'll either interrupt with whatever normal you used or counter with armor. If he finishes the 214 string you will eat the 4 and fly to the other side of the screen. Obviously this doesn't cover the option of 214 EX spear but on the right read you can just block that.

Edit

21 FBC is +7 and is a frame trap if you follow up with any mid fast enough. This means armor and back dash are your only options in that situation. Thank you to @HeroesNZ for the correction.

Here is an example video of armor beating 21 fbc.

Again, I know FBC is really good and a lot of people hate it. This is just an attempt to help people further understand it. If you're just blocking the entire string every time you're going to have a really hard time against hellfire.

If anyone would like to add or correct any info here please post it.

Last edited:

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
So I can take the last hit of the string, risk getting full combod, and at best be fullscreen in a game where it takes like one second to get back to midscreen? Seems legit.

214 FBC is good. Doesnt need to be nerfed but the downplaying of it is a bit silly.

Scoot Magee

So I can take the last hit of the string, risk getting full combod, and at best be fullscreen in a game where it takes like one second to get back to midscreen? Seems legit.

214 FBC is good. Doesnt need to be nerfed but the downplaying of it is a bit silly.
Am I being accused of downplaying because I gave information on how to help deal with it? I just want to be clear on that. I don't remember saying that 214 FBC isn't good.

Also yes you can take the last hit of the string and risk being combo'd or you can just sit and block. If NRS never decides to change this these are your options.

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I hope this doesn't get nerfed, the only thing that I think should change is the EX Spear being - on block not +. It's good to see scorpion at a high level in this game.

Scoot Magee

Dont let yourself get hit. He builds a bar from this pressure and will use the ex chain because its free and safe.
I mentioned this already in my original post. The scorpion player does have to guess when using the ex spear. It's low risk but momentum shifts in favor of the other player if the scorpion player guesses wrong. Getting hit by the 4 is a viable option.

Scoot Magee

Edit: Misread 21 FBC as 214. Getting hit is not a solution.
Getting hit is solution against 214. When letting go of block to eat the 4 you can input a fast normal/special or an armored move. If the scorpion player decides he's going to cancel 21 instead of 214 your move will come out and beat him. It's pretty much an os.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
Getting hit is solution against 214. When letting go of block to eat the 4 you can input a fast normal/special or an armored move. If the scorpion player decides he's going to cancel 21 instead of 214 your move will come out and beat him. It's pretty much an os.
Yep, D'Vorah's block string can be dealt with the exact same way.

I'm was gonna make a video focused on how to fight HF Scorpion, i'm just too lazy but i'll get around to it soon. Kinda sick of people complaining with no actual basis.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
I was going to just post this within another thread but I'd just like it to get a little more exposure.

A lot of people aren't familiar with how to deal with Scorpions FBC pressure, mostly because the game is still new. I've ran into quite a few good players that actually had no experience against it. It can be really frustrating to sit and block his loop while he builds meter and deals chip damage. My goal with this thread is to just inform people on what they can do to help defend against it.

214 fbc 214 fbc 214 jails and is a true block string. If you commit to blocking the entire loop Scorpion will deal about 8.25% of chip damage without flame aura active. He'll also build a considerable amount of meter in the process and can dash cancel the last loop which leaves him at +5. It can be very frustrating to deal with.

The best way to escape the loop is to eat the last hit of 214 which will send you across the screen. The 4 deals 5% damage on hit combined with the chip from the 21 it equals out to 6.5% damage. If flame aura is active it will round off to about 1-2% more.

Scorpion can counter an attempt at eating the 4 safely with an EX spear anywhere on the screen. It's a total guess that uses a bar of meter and leaves him at -5. It's still a guessing game ideal for Scorpion because it's safe and you have a chance at landing another combo into more block loops but it can shift momentum for the other player if they decide to block the 4.

In the corner Scorpion can also cancel 214 into flame aura to prevent eating the 4 from ending his pressure. This leads to pretty big damage but up close flame aura is punishable on block at -11.

People have mentioned that Scorpion can just 21 fbc into 214 to punish an attempt at eating the 4 to get out but it's actually not effective. If you plan on eating the 4 you can either press a button (uppercut/fast strings/etc) or buffer an armored move right before when the 4 would come out. If the Scorpion player cancels from 21 you'll either interrupt with whatever normal you used or counter with armor. If he finishes the 214 string you will eat the 4 and fly to the other side of the screen. Obviously this doesn't cover the option of 214 EX spear but on the right read you can just block that.

Here is an example video of armor beating 21 fbc.

Again, I know FBC is really good and a lot of people hate it. This is just an attempt to help people further understand it. If you're just blocking the entire string every time you're going to have a really hard time against hellfire.

If anyone would like to add or correct any info here please post it.
Your a life saver. So I can ex with any character before 4 to stop the pressure?