What's new

Dealing with rage

Hello folks, wanted to ask you something.
You see, I'm normally a pretty chill guy, the play for fun type, don't care if win or lose and all that.
But sometimes, I get these surges of rage which i can't seem to control, and when i'm in this state, i keep playing and losing more and getting angrier.
For example today, playing the new league mode.
Played the first game. Dude was going to pick kabal, then saw me pick Cetrion and switched immediatly to Geras.
Ofc, I lost. I letted out a big sigh, but meh.
Second game versus a subbie. Games were close, but in last round last game, I drop a combo in a lag speak and get punished with Fatal blow. I'm noticeable angry right now.
I play a third game, versus the same Geras dude. Now i was mad at the dude. He won one game, i won another, and he won the third. I was so damn mad right there, that i coulda have punched the dude.
Now let me say there was no reason to be mad, not just because it's just a game, but because the dude didn't even t-bag, or fatality, or anything, but i was just furious as fuck, not sure if is the spanish blood or wut.
So the cuestión for you guys:
Does this happen sometimes to you too?
How you deal with that?

I do not like getting mad, but sometimes it feels it's out of my control. Wanna hear your thoughts/experiences.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
Two things:

1. It's easy to get mad, especially if you lose a game that isn't your fault but rather due to circumstance IE lag spike like you said

However, 2. usually when people get unreasonably mad at something (such as road rage) they are actually projecting a lot more anger onto the subject because they hold that anger from something else.

For example, if you had a bad day at work and you lost to a geras because of a spamming sand trap/bad wifi, you have a right to be upset, HOWEVER being furious is a signal that something else is going on.

My best advice is to see if there is something else that is making you angry that you might not be able to express openly, and try to combat that. It will make you more level headed, and it may even improve your gameplay.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
OMG REED

Anyways, the advice I can give you is to stop playing for a bit, just go and do something else and just take your mind off of it. Listen to music while you play so your brain has something else to focus on other than what's happening on screen. And tell yourself to relax, like I know it sounds dumb but just you telling yourself 'Calm down you got this, just chill', will help.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I get mad at myself more than anything lol. I’m dropping a lot of shit but I’m starting to learn what I’m doing wrong almost immediately after I do it. So I’m like ahhhhh why did I do that.

I mostly play scorpions and Liu Kangs so if it’s anyone else I get smoked. I have to get my ass kicked for 4 matches before I learn their tricks. I did pretty good yesterday though, I was proud. I even mercy brutaled somebody on accident.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Try and determine the reason why you're losing. Are you getting out played? Are you getting hit by mixups and strats you know how to beat? Did you predict they'd do something on your wakeup and still get hit by it?

It's really important to your growth to play through losses, but if you're losing because you're frustrated/lethargic/tilted you should just take a break and do something else

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
In my experience when I get really pissed (I used to a lot long ago but have changed and even now sometimes I do) the cause of it while playing is generally just the “trigger”. By that as a poster said above I’m usually stressed about or angry at something else even if I think I’m fine it can be subconscious. What you may be experiencing is basically your breaking point and everything simply comes out at once and gets projected onto your trigger. Online in any game frustrates me far more than offline where most of time time I get mildly irked at most.

I’ve learned to identify when it’s a bad idea for me to practice online. Also don’t know if you work out or anything but I go to the gym and noticed AFTER I’m done and decide to play even if later in the day I’m far less prone to feel irritated.

Skedar70

Noob
Hello folks, wanted to ask you something.
You see, I'm normally a pretty chill guy, the play for fun type, don't care if win or lose and all that.
But sometimes, I get these surges of rage which i can't seem to control, and when i'm in this state, i keep playing and losing more and getting angrier.
For example today, playing the new league mode.
Played the first game. Dude was going to pick kabal, then saw me pick Cetrion and switched immediatly to Geras.
Ofc, I lost. I letted out a big sigh, but meh.
Second game versus a subbie. Games were close, but in last round last game, I drop a combo in a lag speak and get punished with Fatal blow. I'm noticeable angry right now.
I play a third game, versus the same Geras dude. Now i was mad at the dude. He won one game, i won another, and he won the third. I was so damn mad right there, that i coulda have punched the dude.
Now let me say there was no reason to be mad, not just because it's just a game, but because the dude didn't even t-bag, or fatality, or anything, but i was just furious as fuck, not sure if is the spanish blood or wut.
So the cuestión for you guys:
Does this happen sometimes to you too?
How you deal with that?

I do not like getting mad, but sometimes it feels it's out of my control. Wanna hear your thoughts/experiences.
It happened to me often. It only happens to me on competitive games. At times I would get mad at people near me who didn't have anything to do with the issue and that just happened to enter the room to ask a question or something.

The best thing you can do is take a break immediately and let the fury vent off (do something else, play something else). Don't get back into the game until you are in a happy mood.

If you get mad because you lost. Try to identify what it is that made you loose so you can work on it. Go to the lab and figure out your options.

Play with friends and joke around while playing. This is the best way to play and makes you not care about taking a loss.

Don't take the games too seriously. Getting too competitive like if you wan't to be the next sonic fox might make you take the losses too hard.

I personally realized this wasn't good for me so I decided to stop playing fighting games. I still play inj 2 casually for small spurs of time. I mostly now focus on story driven single player games. Fighting games are very competitive so its kind a easy for a hot tempered guy like me to lose my cool.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
My issues with frustration and tilt definitely stem from things outside of the game, so I've decided to step away for a bit until I can identify and resolve it. Sometimes a break, short or long, can really make all the difference. As much as I wanna give Kombat League a shot, I just know it'd only worsen my mood not just in the moment, but in the long term as well. If it weren't for the friends I've made on this site, I probably would've dropped the game entirely by now.

wired

Noob
I've had people get super salty at me during netplay. Not sure what it is that I'm doing, but they're jumping on the mic screaming at me. It can be good to be super amped like that at a big tournament, but at home winning a match isn't a test of my own self-worth by any means.

Usually if I get mad, its at myself for making an obvious error

Two things:

1. It's easy to get mad, especially if you lose a game that isn't your fault but rather due to circumstance IE lag spike like you said

However, 2. usually when people get unreasonably mad at something (such as road rage) they are actually projecting a lot more anger onto the subject because they hold that anger from something else.

For example, if you had a bad day at work and you lost to a geras because of a spamming sand trap/bad wifi, you have a right to be upset, HOWEVER being furious is a signal that something else is going on.

My best advice is to see if there is something else that is making you angry that you might not be able to express openly, and try to combat that. It will make you more level headed, and it may even improve your gameplay.
I guess that's a reasonable approach. It certainly doesn't make sense to be mad, so Maybe I'm just proyecting. I'll think about the possibility.

OMG REED

Anyways, the advice I can give you is to stop playing for a bit, just go and do something else and just take your mind off of it. Listen to music while you play so your brain has something else to focus on other than what's happening on screen. And tell yourself to relax, like I know it sounds dumb but just you telling yourself 'Calm down you got this, just chill', will help.
That's sensitive advice, and I normally do. But sometimes I just have like the drive of keeping playing and it's kinda hard to stop.
It happened to me often. It only happens to me on competitive games. At times I would get mad at people near me who didn't have anything to do with the issue and that just happened to enter the room to ask a question or something.

The best thing you can do is take a break immediately and let the fury vent off (do something else, play something else). Don't get back into the game until you are in a happy mood.

If you get mad because you lost. Try to identify what it is that made you loose so you can work on it. Go to the lab and figure out your options.

Play with friends and joke around while playing. This is the best way to play and makes you not care about taking a loss.

Don't take the games too seriously. Getting too competitive like if you wan't to be the next sonic fox might make you take the losses too hard.

I personally realized this wasn't good for me so I decided to stop playing fighting games. I still play inj 2 casually for small spurs of time. I mostly now focus on story driven single player games. Fighting games are very competitive so its kind a easy for a hot tempered guy like me to lose my cool.
The thing is, I like to compete, but I do not want to be the next SonicFox, nor i think i'm a great player. I know i'm not, i'm average and i don't really want to put the time to move beyond that. And besides, while it's true that losing while being mad makes the situation worse, winning doesn't make it better. The rage just doesn't move further. That's what makes me wonder, why do I get so mad if there is no logical point behind it. Of course there outrages normally don't happen, but it's just I don't want them to happen.

just throw the controller, eventually it wont work and you cant get mad if you dont play lmao
I'd never throw the controller, it was a gift and i would feel so bad breaking it D:
Normally I do some pullups to contain the rage. Not a good method for me, btw. Some people say physical activy lets them cool off, but i assure you it ain't my case, just makes my blood boil.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I get these surges of rage which i can't seem to control, and when i'm in this state, i keep playing and losing more and getting angrier.
You need to realise that you're losing because of your loss of control DURING the fit of rage.
This won't happen overnight, unless you're really lucky.
When that's done, rationalise it. Ask yourself why you are angry instead of adapting.
Realising the problem is a very good first step.
Keep working on it.

You need to realise that you're losing because of your loss of control DURING the fit of rage.
This won't happen overnight, unless you're really lucky.
When that's done, rationalise it. Ask yourself why you are angry instead of adapting.
Realising the problem is a very good first step.
Keep working on it.
Thanks dude, I guess it'll be a long trip but heck i don't want to stop enjoying games because an absurd issue like this.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I used to get very Hulk like rage while playing fighting game online. Would usually only last like 10 seconds, but in those 10 seconds, holy shit, literally would have uncontrollable rage.

So what I started to do if I ever got to that point. I would put down the controller, and go let it out. Either lift weights for a few minutes, punch my punching bag, hit rocks with a bat, etc. Keeping it bottled inside will only make it worse. The rage is 100% irrational so taking a rational approach like saying “it’s just a game” doesn’t work. Because you already know that, which is what makes it irrational, lol.