What's new

Question Dealing with crossovers

Glass Sword

Nobody
I have tried long and hard to master the anti cross over d1. I however find myself getting crossed up left and right and I still have trouble with them even if I land the anti cross up d1 once or twice a match. So...
1. What other methods are there with dealing with crossups (Besides NJP).
2. How can I pressure my opponent so he can not jump out of my pressure and get free pressure or a 50/50.
Edit: So far: After a d4 I can check with b2
After a blocked 2 I can check with d1
And after a blocked d4 I can link to smoke cloud
3. Is there anything I can do if I whiff a normal such as d3, d1 or 2 because my opponent jumped?

Your options are get raped trying to d1 d1 sb, hit a d1 d1 sb, or block and get raped. I cannot reliably deal with crossups either, reverse input EX shake is ok and a lot of times if I have X-Ray I will burn it

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Given the hitbox for Smoke's d1, I'd figure it's effective against cross-ups.

If not, I would just d3 to lower hitbox or try to jumpkick out. Maybe surprise them with EX Shake - although I wouldn't want to blow the meter.

In order to really make people not want to jump out/cross you up so much is naked b2 into d1sb, You've gotta be willing to throw that out there from time to time and forego always going for that overhead combo. Smoke absolutely needs his resets for a rushdown pressure game to work, and jump-outs can be combated. For those that are crossup heavy the quintessential NJP and d1 d1sb anti-crossup should be all you need, and blocking a few is really not the end of the world in all honesty. Just requires good reads

Like blake said d3 is good too I use it a lot but just be careful because if mistimed you're eating a jip combo, and that's no fun at all

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
"Reverse his standing 2?" I do not understand.
lol...sorry, I haven't played in awhile. Lets say someone attempts a crossup, if you were to input a standing 2 would the opponent still get hit by it on the opposite side? Can you change the direction your facing?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
lol...sorry, I haven't played in awhile. Lets say someone attempts a crossup, if you were to input a standing 2 would the opponent still get hit by it on the opposite side? Can you change the direction your facing?
Hmmmmm...if you're moving and they jump over you, your character should auto-correct the direction he's facing and hit him with standing 2...

I don't know, honestly. I'd like it if Smoke players could test and confirm this.

Glass Sword

Nobody
Hmmmmm...if you're moving and they jump over you, your character should auto-correct the direction he's facing and hit him with standing 2...

I don't know, honestly. I'd like it if Smoke players could test and confirm this.
I've had it happen a few times the timing seems strict on it. I'll take it to the lab.

Same as glass sword. It works but it's a very strict timing. I've tried to repeat it but I can't, whenever it happens it's honestly an accident

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
If you anticipate a cross over while you are being pressured, I believe you can dash forward and D1. Not 100% sure, but I'd imagine.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
I have tried long and hard to master the anti cross over d1. I however find myself getting crossed up left and right and I still have trouble with them even if I land the anti cross up d1 once or twice a match. So...
2. How can I pressure my opponent so he can not jump out of my pressure and get free pressure or a 50/50.
3. Is there anything I can do if I whiff a normal such as d3, d1 or 2 because my opponent jumped?
One answer to #2 is d4 to b2. If the d4 hits, b2 is guaranteed. If they try to jump out, the b2 will hit them while airborne. Just short dash, d1~SB to reset island.

There are many others.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone using a pirated copy of Tapatalk

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Glass_Sword I gave up on d1 cross-up defense online. Offline it is a lot more do-able so don't abandon the strategy and just practice it when you guys have online sessions down in GA

LaR

Noob
Edit: So far: After a d4 I can check with b2
After a blocked 2 I can check with d1
And after a blocked d4 I can link to smoke cloud
1. d1 is really good but certain crossovers will be harder to punish than others if they do crossover at point blank you should be able to aa everytime but if they crossover at d3 range it will be alot harder you have to get use to knowing when you caa and and cant aa. You can anti crossover with standing 2 aswell but you have to be expecting the crossover.

there is another way to make certain crossover jump punches wiff everytime which i am going to make a thread about and maybe a video.

2. When you land a d3 or d4 you can hit them with a 214 and if they try jump out of this you can combo 214 into a smoke bomb.

3. No i tested that awhile ago and if remember correctly you have to block if they jump over your d3. you could dash forward to make the jip wiff but thats not easy to do if your not expecting it. You could also x-ray or try jump out while getting hit by the jip.

Man I love jumping away if I ever get in a situation where I know that I'm about to get hit. It completely fucks your opponent's options for damage in a lot of cases, and lets you tech roll~wakeup smoke away for sub-5% life a lot of the time. Awesome.