What's new

Question - Ferra/Torr Dealing with Cross-Ups/Jump-Ins

Eminent

Forum Lurker
What is Ferra/Torr's best anti air option/anti air combo? People online jump like the ground is made of lava. If you're in Lackey I see the Shoryuken move being good. What do we have to work with in the other 2 variations?

Eminent

Forum Lurker
so far I think I've found some maybe promising ones

Standing 4 into boss toss is my favorite so far. 10f startup, feels like an okay vertical hitbox, excellent horizontal hitbox. Cancelled into boss toss it does 23%. Another bonus is it's easy.

Standing 1 and b1 are also okay. you can follow up with f3xxboss toss

I feel like Ferra/Torr might have an issue with crossup jumps. His neutral jump punch is slow and so is his d2. I haven't found any good normals to cover the range right above him.

Last edited:

AceOfKnaves

Hallucin8
Playing primarily on vicious,
So far I've found short to mid ferra toss is a good AA on read.
or ji 1 to go air to air.
and if course standing 1.

As for raw cross ups, a quick dash away into b2, b4, or NJP seems to work just fine.
B4 being a sweep is also a hard knock down. Which opens up for a meaty f2 of b2.
I'm usually always trying to play an arms length away to utilizes reach with Ferra, while also making a bit easier stuff my opponent on reaction as they have to make up for the distance.

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
I'm having a tough time figuring this out. Obviously on a hard read db2 or NJP work fine, but a slow d2, 4, and 1 don't cut it on reaction. Sometimes D2 works on Jip but not on kicks. Any advice?

Edit: I play vicious

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Throwing Ferra is usually the best bet but other than that you don't have much maybe d1 to make it whiff

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Just block I think.

If you see them jumping at you, doing the charge works surprisingly well because of the way he whips her down.

MK Led

Umbasa
If you see them jumping at you just njp, ferra doesn't count as your hitbox so you will hit them first. For crossovers, yeah like everyone said, just block haha.

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
For Lackey, D1~F2 into combo works every time to destroy them, whether they attempt a jump in or a crossover. For Vicious, D1 Ferra Jab also works for jump ins but only trades -at best- with crossovers. NJP requires a fast reaction in order to work as an anti-crossover, and if they punch early in their jumping arc you will get hit. However, by committing to that they can't JIP combo. There is also a move harder to pull off that will work as a universal anti-air. That move is IA Jbp1
(instant air jump back front punch). Another great tool of Torr. ;)

Wetdoba

All too easy...
For jumping at you use either NJP or a well timed charge and the first Ferra hit will anti air. For cross over jumps just dash under them to the right if they are jumping left and create space that way. Try to do it before they cross sides too that way it is a forward dash instead of a back dash since our back dash sucks and will use stamina.Otherwise yeah you are stuck blocking or using meter for a reverse input charge for armor.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Fellow Torr-tellini's, I have a question.

So this last week, i leveled up quite a bit, and am starting to get better experience against a variety of other characters. I went to the local tourney we have here weekly, got early games in and was winning most of my sets. Towards the end, something strange happened. People started realizing i was free to cross-overs

It wasn't always this way.

First, let me start off by saying that in the other thread, i mentioned that his D+1 in vicious is an amazing anti-air. And it is, against certain characters. Raiden, for example, cannot get in at all in the air, he must approach on the ground where he also loses that fight.

But certain characters hitbox/arc with their jump in punches (Kano, Scorpion, for example) will always win that trade. Ok, im cool with that. i started utilizing his Tuck and go in anticipation, and also on reads in cross-ups and i was golden. When the hotfix hit, I'm not sure if something changed besides his boss toss scaling, but some characters you can neutral jump punch directly in front of him and ferra whiffs at the upper peak of their jump. I could not hit any of these up close either on reaction or anticipation of a cross over whereas before i had no problems with this. (Also, was 1,1 always a high, mid? I thought it was High High)

I was immediately eliminated by hopping bunnies. Fancy that.

Frustrated, I started trying a few different things during my matches and was punished (and rightfully so), including reverse command grabs, using d+4 to alter his hitbox and drop him lower, etc etc.

After hitting the lab, only thing that always works is when i see them jump up close, back dash during the downard arc. Not only can that be difficult to do on reaction consistently but i dont like the option. Losing the Instant jump back 1 sucks, and i cant find anything reliable even when i make the right reads. his neutral jump kick is relatively safe and seems to leave them at a good place on hit, good startup and active frames, but i just dont know how i feel about it. Reverse armored tuck and go also works i guess but spending meter for this seems like a waste for 10%.

Thoughts? Anyone have recommendations? If i can fix this part of my game...

Shade667

#StrongisthenewCute
Yeah I was vsing a raiden last night and he kept jumping over me and I couldnt hit him. Though how much of that is this and how much is my stupidity is yet to be decided.

I cant really answer this. I dont have enough knowledge to test this out personally.

Parnak

Fight me as you will yet you can never hope to win
For jump ins, 4xxBoss Toss (Vicious) / 4xxPain & Gain (Ruthless) is a good idea. 4 has good speed, as well as efficient horizontal and vertical hitbox. For crossovers they have to input the punch late in the jump's arc in order to combo you, and that makes them vulnerable to Ferra assisted NJP, if you react quickly that is. But you get full combo for your good reflexes. One example; NJP~Run cancel B2, 3, 2+4~Run cancel F2~4xxender (is easier than it seems and will hit regardless of the distance NJP hits at.)

For Lackey, anti-air life is more simple. D1 all the way. Overriding hitbox. Period. Jump ins, crossovers, the answer is D1. If it hits them right in front of you, buffer F2 for anti-air combo. If it hits them further, cancel input Torr Charge (D1xxB, F3). If you find it hard to judge the anti air's distance in the heat of battle, I recommend going for D1xxB, F3 all the way. Torr Charge floors them and you can pressure afterwards. This is anti-air to set-up combo. Also, if they are low on health or you just want some more damage and have a bar to spend, hold block when Torr Charge hits for a nice unscaled +8 more damage.

Last edited:
I struggle with this too.

I've found a few unreliable solutions. D1 Boss Toss. This one works fairly well, since your opponent has to jump over you and delay the punch slightly. That's the best one.

NJK does work a little bit too. I think F/T just struggles with the strategy you talked about by design though.

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
Playing primarily on vicious,
So far I've found short to mid ferra toss is a good AA on read.
or ji 1 to go air to air.
and if course standing 1.

As for raw cross ups, a quick dash away into b2, b4, or NJP seems to work just fine.
B4 being a sweep is also a hard knock down. Which opens up for a meaty f2 of b2.
I'm usually always trying to play an arms length away to utilizes reach with Ferra, while also making a bit easier stuff my opponent on reaction as they have to make up for the distance.
What about crossups when you're down? Other than that this is basically my style. I primarily use db2 and NjP as my aa. but Ferra toss can whiff sometimes and F/T njp is pretty slow so I get beat out sometime. When I can successfully zone out Jump ins tho w/ db2 I feel like the Rider god :p