What's new

Dead or alive, you're coming with me: The Ultimate RoboCop Guide

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
His d2 is 8 frames. U sure its mediocre?
The startup and safety are good but the hitbox is nothing special. If anything, I always d2 too early, so a slower d2 actually works better for me.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Got v2 pretty well fleshed out. Just let me know if I'm missing anything. v3 is balls. About to start on v1.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Just a random mu thing.
Fujin slide goes under robocops mid pistol in v2 (2nd 3rd shot of ex will hit)

Strange since it doesn't go under Cassie mid gun

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Another thing to note for V2.
Any launcher combo that ends in bf2 can be full combo punished if break away the hit before the rocket,
if doing it off f32 opponent can also break away cause the missle not to come out you to get f322 and also be full comboed on whiff

With RoboCops limited combo ability sure the more this gets known, more people will fuck it up

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Another thing to note for V2.
Any launcher combo that ends in bf2 can be full combo punished if break away the hit before the rocket,
if doing it off f32 opponent can also break away cause the missle not to come out you to get f322 and also be full comboed on whiff

With RoboCops limited combo ability sure the more this gets known, more people will fuck it up
After some testing, I think it's better to end with f32~db1, anyway. It's safe against breakaway and gets fantastic Oki, with only minimal damage loss.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You're right next to the opponent and around +32, if I remember correctly. It depends on their wakeup attacks, but against some characters you can go for a dash-jumpover punch and their u2 will whiff. Or you can hover just outside their wakeup range and check them with b4, f2, dash-f3, or dash-grab.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I've started filling in some of the Matchup information, though as a PC player, I have a limited pool of high-level players to play. The Fujin section is the most fleshed out so far. Got any info about other matchups? Just post and I'll add it to the thread.

need some expert opinion on this :

Active Patrol is +9 on hit and puts you face to face with the opponent if cancelled from a string. From what I can tell, the plus frames guarantee a command grab follow up which seems to hit the opponent on standing/crouching regardless of block.

Currently experimenting with V1. My gameplan revolves on cancelling F21/F32 with Reactive Patrol on block (which gives you enough space to avoid their d1 mash) or cancel into Active Patrol on hit for that +9 advantage on close range.

Some character’s d4 might catch Robo during Reactive Patrol, in case it happens, throw in some F212 to condition them to block high.

From personal experience, Robocop V2 has a pretty good chance in outplaying Sub.

Zoning :

Dead of Winter :

Zoning :

Get some distance, bait and block iceball, use grenades to get plus frames on block, then low gunshot to either chip or catch him off guard. Mind his amped iceball and be sure to block every now and then.

If you’re up against a scrub, they’d likely spam iceball then throw out amped iceball full screen to catch you off guard. If you notice they’re doing this, go on the defensive let them waste their meter then spam low gunshot from a safe distance while fishing for gunshot KB on regular iceball.

If your opponent knows what they’re doing, they’d likely to save their meter and instead try to rush you down to your corner. Challenge their footsies and keep the fight mid screen. Use D4 and B4 to beat their b1 and overhead on sweep range. If they dash in to get into b3 range, knock them down with b4 and keep checking them with d4 into low shot. Sooner or later they’d start jumping in, up shot to setup oki or just get some distance to resume your zoning.

Slide variation :

Low gunshots amped beats slide, and the normal one still punish it on max distance IIRC. Can’t remember if arm cc cannon could hit Sub on axe throw jump height though.

Footsies :

D4 and B4 check Sub just outside of reguler sweep range to make sure he doesn’t get near enough for low/OH mix ups.

D4 and B4 are also great to counter Sub’s dash/walk back into low kick.

If you see them dashing/double dashing in, that means they’re going for a low/grab. b4 right away to catch them while they’re in dash animation. You might have to walk/dash back yourself before the b4 depending on the situation.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
You know how if you use his b4 from max range, only the first shot will connect, dealing like 2% damage and leaving the opponent standing? I finally did some testing and it looks like it's around -1 to -3 on hit. I was hoping it at least gave somne frame advantage, but nope.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm about to update the guide to better accommodate the kustom system. However, in the meantime, I've been messing with the shell of Low Auto 9 and the Command Grab and I gotta say, it's proving surprisingly effective. The 3rd ability can vary by matchup. I've had success with Wrist Rocket but I think (Air) OCP Charge might be the superior anti-air pick. Flamethrower is always a nice choice, as well. In this build, I try not to take anything that will replace my default bombs because they help so much with his zoning frame traps. The spike trap and gas are nice, but I think his default bombs are integral to realizing his overall gameplan.

While RoboCop's stagger game isn't the greatest on its own, the inclusion of the mid-hitting command grab seriously increases his threat level. He can buffer it as a punish, making otherwise safe attacks dangerous to throw out, as long as they leave you within range of the grab. It kind of feels like playing Raijin lol. The only way to avoid it is to jump (though some characters might be able to backdash or walk backward). Anytime you are next to RoboCop and negative, you've got to worry about that grab.

The CG also gives you a solid, reliable kombo ender. When ending kombos in the corner with CG, you can backdash and it will avoid Shao Kahn's u2, but not his u3 (though you can still block after the backdash). That's the most extreme wakeup I've tested, but anything with less range should utterly whiff. After the backdash, you're within f4 range, so you can punish wakeup attempts pretty heavily, and you can still react to jumps.

At first, I hated the fdb input, since it made it difficult to tick-throw off of d1. However, it also makes it much easier to dash-cancel the CG by just tapping ffdb2. This helps utilize RoboCop's amazing dash. By dashing into safe strings and the CG, you can really make it difficult for them to know what to expect after ever dash. So now I really like the input. It's not difficult to tick off of d3, though you're more likely to accidentally hit with d3 than with d1.

The corner carry on the CG is pretty insane. It only takes 2 instances of f42-dash-f32~fdb2(amp) to carry someone completely from one side of the stage to the other. And since he can choose the direction, you can end almost any kombo with your opponent in or near the corner. Defensively, this also provides RoboCop with an excellent means of escaping the corner; something he seriously lacked in non-CG variations.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I'm about to update the guide to better accommodate the kustom system. However, in the meantime, I've been messing with the shell of Low Auto 9 and the Command Grab and I gotta say, it's proving surprisingly effective. The 3rd ability can vary by matchup. I've had success with Wrist Rocket but I think (Air) OCP Charge might be the superior anti-air pick. Flamethrower is always a nice choice, as well. In this build, I try not to take anything that will replace my default bombs because they help so much with his zoning frame traps. The spike trap and gas are nice, but I think his default bombs are integral to realizing his overall gameplan.

While RoboCop's stagger game isn't the greatest on its own, the inclusion of the mid-hitting command grab seriously increases his threat level. He can buffer it as a punish, making otherwise safe attacks dangerous to throw out, as long as they leave you within range of the grab. It kind of feels like playing Raijin lol. The only way to avoid it is to jump (though some characters might be able to backdash or walk backward). Anytime you are next to RoboCop and negative, you've got to worry about that grab.

The CG also gives you a solid, reliable kombo ender. When ending kombos in the corner with CG, you can backdash and it will avoid Shao Kahn's u2, but not his u3 (though you can still block after the backdash). That's the most extreme wakeup I've tested, but anything with less range should utterly whiff. After the backdash, you're within f4 range, so you can punish wakeup attempts pretty heavily, and you can still react to jumps.

At first, I hated the fdb input, since it made it difficult to tick-throw off of d1. However, it also makes it much easier to dash-cancel the CG by just tapping ffdb2. This helps utilize RoboCop's amazing dash. By dashing into safe strings and the CG, you can really make it difficult for them to know what to expect after ever dash. So now I really like the input. It's not difficult to tick off of d3, though you're more likely to accidentally hit with d3 than with d1.

The corner carry on the CG is pretty insane. It only takes 2 instances of f42-dash-f32~fdb2(amp) to carry someone completely from one side of the stage to the other. And since he can choose the direction, you can end almost any kombo with your opponent in or near the corner. Defensively, this also provides RoboCop with an excellent means of escaping the corner; something he seriously lacked in non-CG variations.
Does he have any more tick throws other than pokes?

Does he have any more tick throws other than pokes?
He doesn't need any. The s1 tick is also excellent because 121 will catch the jumpers because apparently being caught by a command grab is the most terrifying thing in the world. If you're running the command grab, you will run into this sequence: f32flames >> f32 flames >> f32 flames

All hitting, because people refuse to block when they think the grab is coming. It's not a vortex but damn if it doesn't feel like it sometimes. More people are going to be on team robo now. I am having a ball and personally lol at myself because I just spent a week trying to make cmd grab without flamethrower work...Great use of time. I do wish I could fit the air dash in but that would mean giving up the low9 and well, I'm not a masochist.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think it may be safe to go without Flamethrower. It doesn't help out tremendously in the neutral. Its primary purpose is for its high-damage standing hit-advantage off his non-launching starters. However, he can get a very similar effect from Low Auto-9, which is always +4 on hit when canceled into from a string.

121~Flamethrower deals 14% damage and leaves you +15 with pushback. You can amp for 18% and +17.
121~Low Auto-9 deals 13% damage and leaves you +4 with pushback.

Either way, when midscreen, you need to dash if you want to catch them with f3, which will beat out almost all options other than block. In the corner, no dash is necessary.

+4 may not seem like much, but if you've played a character like Noob's Dark Sabbath variation, you know how effective it can be. Even though Noob doesn't have any moves that can jail from his +4 restand, he can still micro-dash into his 9-frame mid or his b2. If the opponent does anything other than block, they eat the followup. RoboCop's +4 is similar. He can micro-dash into his 10-frame f3 and the opponent will only win if they do a 1-frame punish with a 6-frame move. Once you train them to respect the +4, you get basically all the same utility as Flamethrower, just with slightly less damage. You can start dashing into command grab, f4, or anything else you usually get from Flamethrower.

So, why would you want to give up Flamethrower? Well, if we can get what we need out of our other moves, then we open up a slot for something that helps in another area. In this case, we no longer really need Flamethrower's kombo-ending frame advantage, so we can start looking at covering other weaknesses, like using OCP Charge or Arm Crowd Control Cannon to better threaten the air.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
The downside to (Air) OCP Charge is that it loses trades with normals lol. If D'Vorah is going nuts with j1, you've got to be really careful about throwing out this move. NRS, where your anti-air gets anti-aired by the aerial attack it was designed to anti-air.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
For RoboCop's wave dash, you need to double-tap forward, wait just split second, and then tap block and forward. The timing is pretty strict, but it's easier if you think about it as two separate inputs: the forward-forward and the block-forward inputs. If you do it correctly, RoboCop will do a half-dash forward and then cancel that into a full dash. Don't worry about trying to wavedash across the screen, just focus on getting that 1st dash to come out consistently.

Once you get the first dash, you can start trying to chain them together by just tapping forward-block (no more forward-forward inputs). You typically won't need more than 2 or 3 wavedashes to cover most situations. I'd argue even 3 is probably only viable against opponents with slow reactions lol. But once you can reliably tap out 1 or 2 wavedashes, you significantly add to your threat range, especially if you have the command grab.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
The new CG input is such a vast improvement over the awful dbf, I can't even praise the NRS gods enough for it. Hallelujah! Such a shame they stuck Rambo with the old input.

Tick throwing from his pokes is much easier if you turn on input shortcuts. Input the poke, keeping the pad (or stick) in the down position. Immediately roll your thumb (rock the stick) from df to db, then press 2. The CG will come out every time.

s1 doesn't tick.
Yes, it does. s1 has +10 cancel adv on block, 1 frame less than the CG startup, so yes, it ticks.

The problem is that it's risky to go for because s1 whiffs in neutral on everybody even when crouch blocking. But you can do it with any setup that jails the s1--the game won't allow s1 to whiff on block when the oppo is in hit stun.

A great setup is right after landing s121 on hit. You're at +24 and unable to use a throw (normal or CG), so a smart opponent will almost certainly block. Dash up, tap 1~fdb2, and it will tick throw. Ofc if they read you and let go of block, the 1 will hit and the CG will whiff, but mixing in s12 and other buttons will punish that and keep them guessing.

Looking forward to reading the updated guide!

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Yes, it does. s1 has +10 cancel adv on block, 1 frame less than the CG startup, so yes, it ticks.
Oh, in MK11 I consider a "tick throw" to be when you can cancel into the throw from a blocked normal or string. S1 into grab doesn't have that effect; if you cancel into fdb2 after standing 1, it will whiff whether the s1 hits or is blocked. Like, I'm in practice mode right now; it 100% does not tick from s1. You have to s1, and then as a totally separate move, do the command grab.

If you're talking about just using hit advantage to slip in your throws, I don't consider that an MK tick throw. That's just throwing when you're at advantage, same as using any other move at advantage. Since the CG comes out in 11 frames, you just need to be around +5 to have it beat any option in the game that isn't a jump (or normal that gives throw-immune status).

For the 121 setup, if 121 hits, why would you not just confirm into something? The entire sequence of 121 and CG deals about 20% damage. Ending 121 with amp Flamethrower is 18% into your vortex. Ending with amp Cobra Cannon deals 21% and sends them full-screen without having to risk the throw reset.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Oh, in MK11 I consider a "tick throw" to be when you can cancel into the throw from a blocked normal or string. S1 into grab doesn't have that effect; if you cancel into fdb2 after standing 1, it will whiff whether the s1 hits or is blocked. Like, I'm in practice mode right now; it 100% does not tick from s1. You have to s1, and then as a totally separate move, do the command grab.
No, pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm definitely talking about canceling into the command grab, not about inputting it only after s1 has recovered.

I'm not in the game right now, but I tried it again last night just to be sure nothing had changed. In practice mode, set the opponent to stand and stance hold. Cancel s1 into CG and it will connect. The opponent has to be holding block for it to tick; if it's set to "block all", the opponent will drop block immediately after s1 and the CG will whiff.

If you're talking about just using hit advantage to slip in your throws, I don't consider that an MK tick throw. That's just throwing when you're at advantage, same as using any other move at advantage. Since the CG comes out in 11 frames, you just need to be around +5 to have it beat any option in the game that isn't a jump (or normal that gives throw-immune status).
I follow you, but no, that's not what I mean. I was talking about cancel adv, which is how many frames of advantage you're at when you cancel one move into another. It determines the size of the gap between moves. Like if the startup of the second move is at least 6 frames longer than the block cancel adv of the first move, that's what creates a flawless blockable gap (or outright interruptible, if it's big enough).

Anyway, because the game won't allow you to throw an opponent who's in a stun state, you can only tick throw off buttons that have lower block cancel adv than the CG startup; the gap lets them come out of stun and have an opportunity to take an action that would avoid the throw (ducking, jumping, or in some cases just coming off block). Because Robo's s1 has a block cancel adv of 10 frames, it will tick into a CG that starts in 11 frames. The only other buttons he has with a block cancel adv <11 are d1 and d3.

For the 121 setup, if 121 hits, why would you not just confirm into something? The entire sequence of 121 and CG deals about 20% damage. Ending 121 with amp Flamethrower is 18% into your vortex. Ending with amp Cobra Cannon deals 21% and sends them full-screen without having to risk the throw reset.
It's just personal preference. Perfectly good move to use flamethrower to trade some of your plus frames for extra damage, but I don't typically use flamethrower. Also fine to cash out on damage and reset to full-screen distance if that's what you want.

I just find +24 off s121 to be valuable for pressure and positioning in its own right . You can basically do any mix you want with it. Some ideas...
  • b3 (low + more plus frames) vs. hop attack (OH + long knockdown) vs. empty short hop into throw vs. short hop~instant air charge
  • s2 vs. s22. Lots of adv with no pushback on hit, or great staggers on block. Even better if it's someone who can flawless block, because if you bait a FLB attack on s22~riot shield, you get the KB.
  • s1~CG (lots of corner carry plus choice to side switch if you spend meter) vs. s121 (beats people trying to beat the CG, and s121 becomes its own vortex)
  • s4~cheval trap. You can get out a safe spike strip on hit or block. You can also risk it and go for gas grenade; safe if s4 hits, or punishable on block but they have to be ready for it. If you do get out the gas, the freak out commences.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
No, pretty sure we're talking about the same thing. I'm definitely talking about canceling into the command grab, not about inputting it only after s1 has recovered.

I'm not in the game right now, but I tried it again last night just to be sure nothing had changed. In practice mode, set the opponent to stand and stance hold. Cancel s1 into CG and it will connect. The opponent has to be holding block for it to tick; if it's set to "block all", the opponent will drop block immediately after s1 and the CG will whiff.

I follow you, but no, that's not what I mean. I was talking about cancel adv, which is how many frames of advantage you're at when you cancel one move into another. It determines the size of the gap between moves. Like if the startup of the second move is at least 6 frames longer than the block cancel adv of the first move, that's what creates a flawless blockable gap (or outright interruptible, if it's big enough).

Anyway, because the game won't allow you to throw an opponent who's in a stun state, you can only tick throw off buttons that have lower block cancel adv than the CG startup; the gap lets them come out of stun and have an opportunity to take an action that would avoid the throw (ducking, jumping, or in some cases just coming off block). Because Robo's s1 has a block cancel adv of 10 frames, it will tick into a CG that starts in 11 frames. The only other buttons he has with a block cancel adv <11 are d1 and d3.

It's just personal preference. Perfectly good move to use flamethrower to trade some of your plus frames for extra damage, but I don't typically use flamethrower. Also fine to cash out on damage and reset to full-screen distance if that's what you want.

I just find +24 off s121 to be valuable for pressure and positioning in its own right . You can basically do any mix you want with it. Some ideas...
  • b3 (low + more plus frames) vs. hop attack (OH + long knockdown) vs. empty short hop into throw vs. short hop~instant air charge
  • s2 vs. s22. Lots of adv with no pushback on hit, or great staggers on block. Even better if it's someone who can flawless block, because if you bait a FLB attack on s22~riot shield, you get the KB.
  • s1~CG (lots of corner carry plus choice to side switch if you spend meter) vs. s121 (beats people trying to beat the CG, and s121 becomes its own vortex)
  • s4~cheval trap. You can get out a safe spike strip on hit or block. You can also risk it and go for gas grenade; safe if s4 hits, or punishable on block but they have to be ready for it. If you do get out the gas, the freak out commences.
TLDR: I mostly agree that it has merit and will work against a lot of opponents, but it is not a real tick throw and you can get blown up hard if you rely on it too much.

Full reply:

Sorry for my slow reply, been dealing with some shit. But anyway, I was finally able to take this into the lab, because something seemed off about that s1 tick throw. If you set RoboCop as the AI and record him doing it, you can break it by just letting go of block after the standing 1 is blocked. The CG will whiff against standing or crouching. Do the same with the mid tick throws of other characters and you can see theirs actually do tick off of s1; you can't poke out or just release block.

I think in most cases, if your opponent is going to block the s1, then they're going to continue to hold block and it will function like a tick-throw. However, it's still much easier to beat than other tick throws, since an opponent trying to mash out will beat it every time (triggering punishment KB's in the process). In other words, if they read you going for s1~CG, they can blow you up with the biggest kombo they've got. It may even be fuzzyable, since the 2nd hit of 121 and the CG come out at different times.

If you block the 1 but take the 21~Flamethrower, that's 17% damage if RoboCop spends meter. If you've got a KB kombo or 2-bar kombo ready to go, you really don't need to fear getting punished for trying to blow up s1~CG. Hell, most characters just need one bar to get twice that damage, so the risk/reward is always in your opponent's favor.

Last edited: