What's new

DC Rebirth

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
So there is this huge event happened in DC Comics.

The blasphemy and atrocity known as New 52 is no more. Thank you, Geoff Johns, for that. I really love how DC Rebirth #1 is described on official site:

“Rebirth is about focusing in on the core of the character and their respective universe,” says writer and DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns. “It brings back what has been lost: the legacy of the characters, the love and the hope of the DCU!

I could write about that even in detail, but it would be better to post a video of EmergencyAwesome explaining it much better than I ever would. Plus it might give you an idea of what to expect from Injustice 2 roster, because DC Rebirth has huge twist at the end of issue #1.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Anyone know where to start with this? Would I need to be up to date with anything else before starting this as well? I've checked out N52 flash but not much else besides batman eternal. Anyone got some pointers?

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Gonna read them before the game. I'm tired of these reboots. First, Star Wars got rid of their EU and I'm catching up with all of the "new canon" and now I have to start over again with DC to remain "in the know".

It's weird because in their pushing of rebirth they aren't even subtle about how New 52 has been a complete let down.

Got the first rebirth, but on the first page it suggested the I catch up on Superman and Justice league before proceeding.

This irked me, because while Justice League was quite good and I had therefore read it a while back, New 52 Superman was absolutely awful so I had stopped at #6. For a series trying to fix "What was lost" in New 52, it kinda sucks its forcing me to go back and finish around 3 more volumes of superman collections.

I'll suck it up and finish Superman though. Hopefully it gets better. I've heard good things about Rebirth #1

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
kinda liked new 52. are they just throwing that away? the old storylines are waaaay too complicated
No it's not a reboot in the traditional sense. Some old universe characters are being brought back some other stuff is changing but it's essentially a continuation of the New 52.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It's weird because in their pushing of rebirth they aren't even subtle about how New 52 has been a complete let down. Got the first rebirth, but on the first page it suggested the I catch up on Superman and Justice league before proceeding. This irked me, because while Justice League was quite good and I had therefore read it a while back, New 52 Superman was absolutely awful so I had stopped at #6. For a series trying to fix "What was lost" in New 52, it kinda sucks its forcing me to go back and finish around 3 more volumes of superman collections. I'll suck it up and finish Superman though. Hopefully it gets better. I've heard good things about Rebirth #1
If you know what happens with Superman you don't really have to read it. You could also just skip to Superman 51/52. There's some good stories in that book especially later on but it kills itself with crossovers.

If you plan on reading Justice League you will want to read up to #50 before Rebirth, specifically the events of Darkseid War.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
OP you do realise rebirth is continuation new 52.

As for new 52 being a failure? Well DC never had so many great stories at the same time than new 52.

Batman by scott snyder
Action comics by Morrison
Wonder woman by brian Azzarello
Animal man (jeff Lemire)
Swamp thing (scott snyder and charles soule)
Some arcs of JLD
Green arrow (jeff Lemire)
Green lantern (geoff johns)
Aquaman (geoff johns and jeff Parker)
Justice league (geoff johns)
And many more.

Bad stories usually came from eddie berganza's editorial office.

As for rebirth, it is nothing more than a gimmick to get pre-flashpoint fans to buy comics again. The only legacy that matters is Batman's legacy.

Last edited:

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
It's weird because in their pushing of rebirth they aren't even subtle about how New 52 has been a complete let down.

Got the first rebirth, but on the first page it suggested the I catch up on Superman and Justice league before proceeding.

This irked me, because while Justice League was quite good and I had therefore read it a while back, New 52 Superman was absolutely awful so I had stopped at #6. For a series trying to fix "What was lost" in New 52, it kinda sucks its forcing me to go back and finish around 3 more volumes of superman collections.

I'll suck it up and finish Superman though. Hopefully it gets better. I've heard good things about Rebirth #1
Pick up grant marrison's run on actions comics, scott snyder's unchained and greg pak's actions comics and superman/batman. Constant crossover by eddie berganza's and his friend scott lobdell ruined superman.

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
Lol @ amount of misinformation in video.

Truth is new 52 did a lot better than pre-52 in sales department. Even the worst comics sold more than their pre-52 counterpart.

Batman was selling around 50k-60k preflashpoint, in new 52 not a single regular issue sold less than 100k.

Justice league was around 40k-50. In new 52 it stayed at above 70k.

Wonder Woman/superman/flash never went below 30k which is what they were selling pre-52.

Aquaman and green arrow successfully carried solo for 52 issues.

Oh, also the digital sales, which were almost non-existent pre-52.

Last edited:

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
honestly new 52 was not that bad they just fucked up the continuity with it and didnt lay out a proper groundwork before so some things didnt add up and people dont like change

So basically I'm gonna start a round in injustice 2 and get insta exploded by a big blue man who waves his dong around? Whatever.

Where's my Rorschach guest character though, that'd be hype for MK.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I have no problem with New 52 and only care about the Batman universe so Rebirth doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

I am emo Catwoman is canceled, even though it was only good for like one year of it's entire run.

Will be reading Batman, Detective, All Star Batman, Batgirl and BG & The BOP.

Kinda hope with rebirth there is a chance David Zavimbe gets another book. Just finished reading batwing and I loved his storyline and the setting of africa.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
So rebirth #1 was good.

New 52 is either a let down or had good books.

Still don't know if I need any pre rebirth reading done besides the one post. I'll get to reading justice league. Don't really care about superman solo.

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
New52 ruined Batman. I will say that.
If New 52 ruined Batman, than it literally destroyed Superman's character after Grant Morrison's first two books of Action Comics. New 52 Superman made me cringe many times. He enjoyed beating people (during the time when he lost his powers), he let Parasite almost kill Lois Lane just for the sake of her fogetting his secret, a real Superman does care about his secret as Clark Kent, but not to that extent. Also the fact that there was no old Daily Planet team of Clark, Lois and Jimmy working together also made lose any interest in this version of Superman. It was just bad in general.

I'm so so happy they brought back pre-flashpoint Superman:

New 52 Superman is dead now, his death was made so poorly that I felt literally nothing when he was dying on the pages of Superman #52, because that wasn't entirely Superman in the core sense of the character.

haketh

Noob
New52 ruined Batman. I will say that.
How? By dumping the odd facist shit & doing a better job of reuniting the Batfamily? The Batman books have been in one of the best places they've been for awhile since Snyder got on & Tom King & Tynion's runs are gonna be fire. Plus we got one of the best Catwoman runs out of it, Grayson, Batman & Robin: Eternal, & Gotham Academy.

Briyen

Noob
Anyone know where to start with this? Would I need to be up to date with anything else before starting this as well? I've checked out N52 flash but not much else besides batman eternal. Anyone got some pointers?
you don't have to be up to date to enjoy it really

reading flashpoint, forever evil, darkseid war, and superman 51,52 (in that order) compliment it though

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
I think the biggest problem with the new version was that this Superman has no hope, and didn't inspire hope in people. Plus, I think we got a lot of good stories out of the New52 with Superman. More so with Batman, and more good stories in the New52 then there were in the 5 years prior to the New52 (Remember grounded?).
And on part of delivering no hope he made lots of questionable decisions. Well, now all of that can be forgotten at the very least.

When you say he enjoyed beating people, are you referring to him cagefighting? That was a chance for him to be able to enjoy a bit of rough and tumble, being that he was depowered and fighting people who signed up to fight. It's like criticizing him for enjoying boxing.
Well, to me Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El was the last person who would find violence "fun" in any kind of form and would think of it as the very last solution to the problem. Watchimg him becoming sort of a street fighting thug wasn't enjoybale to my Paladin-ish tastes, lol.

These panels in particular are just... ugh

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Genevieve Valentine's Catwoman was really good. The only problem was it was a slow build that she had to end abruptly. Would have probably been a classic if she had more time. Still, it was the best Selina story since Brubaker.

haketh

Noob
And which Catwoman run was great? Ann Nocetis run was terrible, as was Judd Winicks. I stopped reading after both of those, but never heard anything about the book improving.
[/quote][/QUOTE]
The Valentine run

And God Nocenti's New 52 stuff was bad