What's new

DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 Breakdown - The base mechanics in Xenoverse franchise

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I was watching Xenoverse 2 trailer today, and i'm actually glad they're finally making a DBZ fighting game trying to look to it from the competitive aspect of it again ever since Tenkaichi 3 was their last one.

So i have no idea how Xenoverse plays, but i'm sure some of you here on TYM have already tried, so i will be able to know more about it from your own feedbacks of course, but first, i will give you guys a breakdown to Tenkaichi 3 and those who have experience with Xenoverse then can make a comparision to what is better and what not. Deal?

Here is goes:

DBZ Tenkaichi 3 is a 3D fighting game which its labeled to emulate the battle system of the anime DBZ to its fullest, i will display the controls from the old PS2 way which is easy to understand, there are some things i might not remember:

Controls.
Movement: Left Analog Stick
Camera: Right Analog Stick
Strikes: Square
Ki Blast: Triangle
Block: Hold O
Dash: X
Flight (Ascend): R1
Flight (Descent): R2
Lock on: L1 (mostly useless)
Ki Charge: L2
Transform/Super Sayan: R3

Combinations:
Ki dash (Super Dash): L2+X
Allows any character to dash with the aura making it go quicker against your opponent.

Route changing Homing dash: Press X twice during super Dash
While in super dash your character will switch his route to your opponent making a 180º angle coming at them from behind instead of front on a burst speed, it avoids direct projectiles and allows to hit characters in the back during burst chases, watch out cause it consumes ki, but its worth it.

Power guard: O+Triangle
Allows any character to apply a shoulder type of block which parries against physical strikes allowing your character to successfully followup with a vanishing strike. Note: Vanishing are dangerous.

Vanish
Timed button (O) against a charge attack, blast attack, homing or ultimates around 2 frames on moment of impact.
Note: Some attacks cannot be vanished like light strikes.
Vanish will make your character disappear, it can be used to avoid some very strong moves, it can be used in combination of directional attacks to decide where to move, it consumes Ki, and with low Ki you cannot vanish.

Counter Vanishing attack: Timed Button (Circle) against vanishing strikes or homing chases
If you press Circle when about to be hit by a vanishing strike or burst attack, you character will vanish and counter with his own and invert the offense (chasing mode)

Movement Vanishing: Press circle during a basic combo with lateral directional input.
While doing lightspeed attacks you can vanish into any direction by pressing circle with the additional directional button.

Stun recovery
press Circle multiple times while in stun
In Tenkaichi when your character is hit by a body blow, or is sent flying he is in a stun state, in order to recover from it, you need to press circle multiple times to regain control of your character, you can also recovery if you counter the burst of the chase or vanishing with your own vanishing attack despite being in stun.

Body Blow: X, Triangle
A Body blow is a move that can put any character into a stun state allowing for a free followup, most people don't resist the urge of sent ppl flying and use a charge attack to do so, going then for vanishing strike chasing combos or burst chasing combos.

Charge attack: Hold Square for a few frames then release it, when done with directional input combinations it switches the type of attack and the direction.
It on hit it sent the opponent flying which can then be used to go into the chasing via burst or Vanishing, however as good as charging attacks are, it can be vanished or counter vanished, so use it in a unpredictable way.

Perfect Charge attack: Hold Square until your character flashes, there is a sound associated with it,.
When done perfectly your character will use a vanish to perform the attack, it cannot be blocked and its perfect to start some offense, however it can be power blocked or counter vanished, but requires super human reactions to avoid, its also perfect to sent people flying when on stun from body blows.

Chase/Homing mode: Once you send people flying you can enter the Homing mode or Chase mode as some like to call it, it allows you to deliver 2 charged attacks against your opponent while he is in stun and in Hi-Tension mode some characters can use from 3 to 5, the real game is how you approach, by using ki burst to fly right in with your charge, or you can use vanishing strikes which are harder to see but has the same effect, both strikes can be countered with counter vanishing strike.
Chasing with Burst attacks: Press X to chase people with Ki burst, then press square for a charge attack, to sent them flying again.
Chasing with Vanishing strikes: Press triangle making your character disappear and appear behind them for a vanishing strike.
Vanishing Tackle: Press circle while in homing mode (opponent flying)
Vanishing tackle is a knockdown move or practically an ender, which will tackle your opponent and slam him into the ground no matter the height.

Supers: Up+L2+Triangle
Performs a super attack, some are just enhanced ki blasts, others are chasing combos, and some are blasts.

Blast attack: L2+ Triangle
Kamehameha and whatever is similar is done this way

Ultimate attack: L2+Down+Triangle
Can only be accessed while in Hi-Tension.

Use Tech
L1+Circle+Up, L1+Circle+Down

Change characters: L2+R3+L3

Ki Burst: Press L1 twice.
Its a mechanic that allows your character to unleash a powerfull ki while screaming, forcing a gap on the overwhelming pressure he is facing, however Ki burst consumes a portion of your health, so it can kill you.

Dash attacks
Hammer fist: Down + Square while dashing, hits overhead
Soccer kick/Sweep: Up+ Square while dashing, hits low
Flying kick/Body Blow: Square while dashing, hits mid.

Guard forms
Overhead guarding: Circle + Up (block overheads)
Soccer Kick/Sweep guarding: Circle + Down (block lows)
Regular guard: Hold circle, blocks mids.

Health meter: It varies from character to character indicating how strong they can be, it makes some character super strong and some other super weak, since the game design implies power levels.

Ki meter: Ki meter its equal for every single character that can charge it, except androids, who IMO have an edge, they ki charges up automatically on its own until it reaches the max ki state, once full the androids can now charge to reach Hi-Tension.

Max ki state: Max-Ki state its when all your ki cells are full, your character aura starts showing evindently, it won't deplete unless you use ki based moves, when your character is at the MAX-KI he can then charge to reach Hi-Tension.

Hi-Tension: Its second stage of the ki meter, that in order to be reached you need to be at Max-Ki, allowing to charge a second stage that will deplete over time back to MAX-Ki if interrupted, but if maxed out it reaches the HI-Tension. Hi-Tension lasts close to a full minute as it depletes, it rises attack power, Ki usage is heavily reduced on every basic Ki move unless Super, Blast attacks or Ultimate attacks are used. If none of these ar used and the Hi-Tension depletes itself it goes back to MAX-Ki state.

Tech-Slot: Its a circle which starts with 0 and the limit is 5, as the time passes a mini meter will start filling giving you stocks once full, some techniques in order to be used require having a determined number of tech values, like super sayan transformation consumes 1 stock, Krilin's Auto after image strike consumes 3 stocks, SSJ2 Teen Gohan's Angry status since it powers up his attack power, defense and ki charge costs 3 stocks and so on.

Ki charge blockers: Some characters when they activate a certain power, which is very strong once that status end a Ki blocker will appear right next to the Ki meter, this will make this same character charge Ki 3 times slower than a regular ki charge, leaving any character in complete disadvantage, you can erase the Ki blocker by powering yourself up with with a tech that triggers Ki charge Boost like Gohan's Angry move, or charge your ki until it reaches Max-Ki state.

Warning: DO NOT CHARGE YOUR KI, EVER!!
Seriously, this is where the competitive aspect of this game has ever starter, there is recovery frames when coming out of the Ki Charge, if you get hit by anything while trying to charge you will be fucked, the greastest DBZ Tenkaichi players across the WORLD don't charge Ki, when the fight sign starts, its on, either you battle with the low ki and build as you fight, or you battle with the low ki and build as you fight, there is no 2 option.

That is practically how the game works, of course there is portaras and senzubeans, but those things didn't took place on the competitive environment of the game, it was pretty fun, not use how much Xenoverse has changed ever since but looks pretty similar in some forms.

Aside from having not defense when hit from the back, and the power levels the game was pretty good and very competitive, the stage was somehow large than previous interactions of the game, and surely on Raging Blast it was made bigger, kinda wonder if in Xenoverse is way biggers, because it would be tons of fun if the scenario could be just as big so people could hide to charge ki, recovery and so on.

Pointing out that in raging blast 2 since the stage was made biggers, they gave a new option to find opponents called "scan" which could be accessed by holding L1, but it was balanced around types, the Z warriors could scan by looking at all directions until they sense the opponent's ki, it took a while but was good, the scouter ones were faster but if destroyed they wouldn't be able to find hiding characters.

Definitely could talk more, but the mechanics talked everything, just curious to know how Xenoverses differs from Tenkaichi, because that looked sexy.

Frenzy

Noob
Xenoverse 2? Not interested. But I was interested in reading more about Budokai Tenkaichi 3 because it's one of my favorite dbz games, which is is why I'm here. :D

Amplified$hotz

Done with MK1. Stop supporting a scam company
It looks great. Only skimmed through the op and watched the video cause my attention span is rapidly degenerating.

Solomon Gorondy

Should Goro be top 5?
Is there a way to play Budokai Tenkaichi 3 online now a days? I loved that game but never actually fought a competitive fight. HD remake would be epic.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Is there a way to play Budokai Tenkaichi 3 online now a days? I loved that game but never actually fought a competitive fight. HD remake would be epic.
Unfortunately no, but from what i've seen about Xenoverse 2 it seems to be the next best thing.

Xenoverse 2? Not interested. But I was interested in reading more about Budokai Tenkaichi 3 because it's one of my favorite dbz games, which is is why I'm here. :D
How so? Xenoverse 1 was wack because you could fly all the way back to Africa running away from your opponent and there wasn't a way to catch-up.

So in Xenoverse 2 they added more Tenkaichi 3 Mechanics and added some balance, Namco said they are cathering for the competitive community as well, and from what i've got i sparked my interest.

Info i got from Xeno2

Super Sayans are no longer ultimate techs, so they can't be equiped on ultimate slots, now there is a transformation slot where you can equip all transformations.

There is a few things i yet don't understand because i didn't play Xeno 1, like the stamina system and what's for, it seems it can be used to perfor vanishing moves and dragon dashes or so.

You can no longer spam super sayan transformations, its still a powerup and rises the attack power of the user, however, it seems if you get hit while transforming, your stamina will break and you won't be able to escape a combo.

While in Super Sayan anything you do no longer rises your ki cells, instead it stays static until you use a ki based move to deplete it, so in order to fill you ki gauge now you have to charge it, remember how unsafe charge was in Tenkaichi 3? yeah balance.

You can still rise you ki by attacks or taking hits if you're not transformed in to Super Sayan.

They added the Inverted Dash to avoid projectiles or to catch people trying to run away.

Ultimates no longer have invincibility frames.
now you can vanish while moving into sides.

You can bend some blast moves like kamehameha, and pointing where the opponent is running.

Really hope they make stages 3 times bigger than Raging Blast, hopefully there is Scan in the game as well.