What's new

Tech - Bojutsu DB1 Tech: Better Not Jump On Me (Unbreakable Damage At the End)

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Hey everyone! I have been having a blast with Kung Jin both in matches, and in the lab. Today I have some pretty good tech involving the buffs to DB1 and EX DB1. First half of this will be using this move as an Anti Air for substantial damage and the other half will be focused on using EX DB1 on knockdown. Without any more delay, let's go!

DB1/EX DB1 ANTI AIRS
Ok so this move got heavily decreased start up frames and recovery frames. This means it has gained many more applications. These applications include combos in the corner and of course today's topic, the increased ability to anti air. Keep in mind the following was tested with Neutral Jumps and Jump Back/Jump Forward without any button pressed. This is specifically to counter the opponent using Jumping for mobility or trying to get out of the corner. This tech is NOT for if the opponent does an instant jump in punch or kick (Does Cover NJP Options however). I will try and lab that sort of jump at a later date but for now we will just go over countering mobility jumps.

So how does this work you might ask? Well it's fairly simple. They do a jump at a close-ish range, for example maybe they're trying to crossover you or they go for an NJP. On reaction (Yes you can do this on reaction, Praise Paulo) you will perform the DB1 and then full combo that person. DB1 can also be used to control air space at further distances against characters you like to jump at further distances (Quan, Kitana, Pretty Lady, etc.)

The concept is simple and not too hard to pull off, so why make a thread on it? Well I'm glad you asked! You're gonna need to know what the conversion is afterwards now aren't you? That's where I come in! The following are your conversions.

MIDSCREEN CONVERSIONS
DB1, Dive Kick, Run, 34 xx DB3 (28%)

EX DB1, Run, 34, Instant Divekick, 34 xx DB3 (38%)

CORNER CONVERSIONS
DB1, Run, 34, Instant Divekick. NJP, 3 xx DB3 (33%)

EX DB1, DB1, Run, 34, Instant Divekick, 34 xx DB3 (40%)

Well now that the conversions are out of the way, let's talk about a little setup that I've been using with decent amounts of success. I haven't come up with a cool name for it yet so for now we will call it the Run Behind.

THE RUN BEHIND
So I have gone over this setup before in a previous thread but not in a ton of depth so let's go over this thing in all its parts shall we?

WHEN TO USE
So this setup isn't something you should do ALL the time. There are moments where it is appropriate and some where it is most certainly not. So when do you use it? The following are scenarios where it is most ideal to use it. Keep in mind that this setup is flexible and supports creativity.

• Opponent has bad options when you could use the setup (No Bar/Bad Fullscreen Options)
  • Opponent has been jumping on wakeup for a lot of the game (This makes it feel more like a read than a setup but it can be useful.)
  • Opponent has been blocking more than attacking (Defensive Playstyles tend to not wake up with too much, so this can used to your advantage.)
  • Opponent has an INTENSE trouble with zoning (If they cannot deal with your fullscreen options. You throw this out and just start zoning and run in at your leisure.)
Now this all sounds super situational. HOWEVER! The setup is flexible as I mentioned before and truly does support a creative approach that you can tailor to your situation but here is the bare skeleton of the setup.

THE SETUP
Ok so when you actually go for this setup, you have to end your combo with B21 2+4. This is plus enough on hit that it guarantees you an EX DB1. The tricky part about ending with B21 2+4 is that you need to be at a certain amount of gravity for the whole string to land. The typical way I do this is the following.

(STARTER) XX (LAUNCHER) DIVEKICK, B21 2+4

Ok! So before I go on, let's go over something. Never use this when your launcher uses meter. ONLY do this setup after meterless damage because if you invest a bar into the combo and then another bar into the setup itself, your payout is piss poor, so you will only be doing this after say an NJP, a raw Divekick or a BF4. Anyway, after you end your combo and do your EX DB1, you have a few options.

• Go for a B14/F24 mixup. If you do this into BF4, you will launch the opponent into the fireball and net some extra damage which is quite nice!
  • You can run in and bait unsafe armor and proceed to punish. You might not hit them into the fireball but you will still get value off of the setup in the form of the bait/punish.
  • You run in and wait to see if they jump in panic. This happens sometimes and basically hits two birds with one stone as you can bait armor this way AND wait for a jump.
  • Lastly, you can go for a throw. This one is the saddest one but is still something to keep in mind. When they see that fireball in the air and you running at them, the last thing they're thinking of is "Oh let me tech a grab" think of it this way, you'll get 12% added onto about 23% so it nets out to 35% which is about how much a 1 bar combo is for Bojutsu. So it's not that bad.
So! That's the end of the setup. Feel free to lab the setup more and elaborate on it! I'd love to see what people come up with, especially in matchup specific situations (Currently working on Kitana specific stuff) Really excited to see if any of you guys come up with anything! (Unless I am the only person who actually still thinks Bojutsu is viable still in that case maybe this will change some minds on that subject) But now I leave you with big unbreakable damage in the corner, enjoy!

UNBREAKABLE DAMAGE
NJP xx EX DB1 (3x), DB1, GRAB (41%)

EX DB1 (3x), DB1, GRAB (42%)

HOPE YOU ENJOYED! PEACE!

@CoRzus
@stamatis
@Any other Bojutsu players, seriously where are you people?

CrazyFingers

Expect more tech from me at a later date. I'm determined to get people to at least acknowledge this variation as something that is actually good.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
I was on vacation!

I'm not too sure that using a meter to get someone to not jump on wake up is ideal since KJ already has some of the best AA normals in the game.

I'll need to lab more but mid screen it will certainly keep people honest.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Sorry, I do use bojutsu but honestly haven't even tried him out since the patch, mostly because of lack of time. I figured since his armour was the major draw for using this variation it'd be pretty ehhhh without it.

However, I definitely like the idea of consistent anti-airs though so I'll give him a go again.

Cheers for the tech.

CrazyFingers

I was on vacation!

I'm not too sure that using a meter to get someone to not jump on wake up is ideal since KJ already has some of the best AA normals in the game.

I'll need to lab more but mid screen it will certainly keep people honest.
The setup is a bit iffy (it's like a worse reptile acid ball that is in the air) but the other stuff is pretty legit.

CrazyFingers

Sorry, I do use bojutsu but honestly haven't even tried him out since the patch, mostly because of lack of time. I figured since his armour was the major draw for using this variation it'd be pretty ehhhh without it.

However, I definitely like the idea of consistent anti-airs though so I'll give him a go again.

Cheers for the tech.
No problem! Glad I could help.

CrazyFingers

Necro is freaking sweet
Did the buff to the slam help that much or is it that in conjunction with the universal changes that helped? I've always been a little interested in Necro as skeleton hands are goofy and i am king of all that is goofy (I play Leatherface for heaven's sake)