What's new

Darkseid - General Strategies and Discussion

Character is garbage. How do you even open people up with him? His zoning is non existent too. Not to mention his mobility is ass. Good thing his buttons are solid so he can press em all day while he cries.
No shame, I'm holding that L proudly. I was amazed how he nullified Superman and astros neutral game. Now, the bigger question was it Sonic just being Sonic? All I know is I got to lab it up more and perhaps play more aggressive and just embrace the MIX.

What I noticed from Sonic's Darkseid.

• End with HKD or d2 to summon trait/set-up
  • MB stomp for to extend combos or increase damage or opener.
  • Trait to set up safe teleports
  • Raw IDS to enforce respect of low options
  • Utilize 22 to mix more
  • Utilize safe strings to create space or to read opponents reactions to the tele mix ups.
Also d1 to check opponents and MB knee to reset back to neutral and halt their advance. Anybody else has any other notes or want to chime on? I've learned a lot from watching him, and see how to properly utilize his toolkit.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What I noticed from Sonic's Darkseid.

• End with HKD or d2 to summon trait/set-up
  • MB stomp for to extend combos or increase damage or opener.
  • Trait to set up safe teleports
  • Raw IDS to enforce respect of low options
  • Utilize 22 to mix more
  • Utilize safe strings to create space or to read opponents reactions to the tele mix ups.
Also d1 to check opponents and MB knee to reset back to neutral and halt their advance. Anybody else has any other notes or want to chime on? I've learned a lot from watching him, and see how to properly utilize his toolkit.
Good observations, but I believe after a jumping attack he was using less 2,2 and more 2,1, which was probably messing with the opponent's fuzzy guard.

In some rare occasions where the explosive Parademon ended up behind the opponent yet was slightly out of the explosive radius, he would attempt to push the opponent back into the Parademon using d+1 xx EX knee, teleport, trigger the explosion, and go for mix ups.

Speaking of the explosive Parademon, he used explosive Parademon -> dash -> instant aerial EX stomp -> b+3 -> jumping 3 -> jumping 2 -> stomp to punish Aquaman's FTD full screen away after teleporting if the Aquaman did the FTD near the explosive Parademon.

I also talked to Sonic Fox privately and he claimed Aquaman is not a bad match, but Superman may be.

Last edited:

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
Can someone tell me whats Darkseid full health by the number in competitive mode or default.
e.g. is it 1050 1150 1250??
I'm away from my console I cant get that info. tryna fugure out a % of a combo I've seen

E

Eldriken

Slow up, dude.
I checked Darkseid HP with gear off and everything and by default it's 1100.
1100 should go for competitive mode, also.
Where did you get 1400 from as his original HP and or with competitive mode on?
It's 1400.

With Competitive Mode on, it bumps your character to level 20 and increases their stats accordingly.

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
It's 1400.

With Competitive Mode on, it bumps your character to level 20 and increases their stats accordingly.
Really?? How can I see their lvl 20 comp mode on HP? I wouldnt have no idea it turns to 1400 if you guys wouldnt have put me on

E

Eldriken

While I don't feel he's top 10, I'd say he's just right outside of it.

Darkseid has great damage, but only if you have meter and land the hit. You're not getting much damage without meter unless you get a background bounce. But this can be said about a fair amount of the roster.

He's only really scary (some MUs are obviously different) when he has his trait and even then, if you know how to deal with the situation, it's a lot less alarming. Now, it goes without saying that you're gonna fuck up and get caught eventually. It's just the way it is. Human error 'n all that.

His zoning is fairly good in my opinion. It's not top 3 zoning, but it should be noted that it serves its purpose.

His buttons are just...gtfo. His only real punish against most things in the game seems to be from his d1 or s2, neither of which lead to fuck all as far as damage goes. If you want to launch someone as a punish, they need to be -14 (f2 is 13f) or -18 (b1 is 17f) at the very least. What. The. FUCK.

112 is +3 but has a dumb kind of pushback that doesn't allow you to capitalize on it.

His strings need to come out on whiff, namely 22(3) and 21. I guess 22 not coming out on whiff makes sense because if you've ever seen the second 2 whiff in a combo, the Omega Beam goes all nutty and shoots into the sky. Perhaps due to the way its tracking seems to work, it coming out on whiff may cause some balance issues or technical issues. If that's not the case, however, then it ought to come out.

Same with 21. The 1 is a short-range low that I think would be a decent tool in the neutral instead of relying on db1 and its awful startup, whiff recovery and block recovery. Oh, let's also not forget that it fucking whiffs randomly DURING combos. Or, it will whiff entirely even though it looks like it should have hit the opponent.

Why df2 is a high is beyond me. Why you can't MB it on block to make it +10 like the game says you can is beyond me as well as that would eliminate SOOOOO much of the disrespecting that goes on against this character while he's plus.

I think that since db1 has awful startup and recovery (whiff and block) that you should be able to MB it to launch but still retain its current frame data so it remains punishable.

Despite any of the above, I have an absolute blast (barring a few MUs) playing this character and haven't really spent any time learning another one in the slightest to pick for his bad MUs.

I don't think he's low tier by any stretch. I just don't think he's this godlike character that some folks make him out to be. But maybe that's on me. I have no idea. I love him and he's completely viable, but some of his shit simply doesn't make sense.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Regarding punishing, i really believe he might be the worst in the game in that department.

Either his f2 needs to be a mid, or faster if not a mid, OR, improve the range of his s2 and make his 2, 2, 1+3 mb string a regular one.

While I don't feel he's top 10, I'd say he's just right outside of it.

Darkseid has great damage, but only if you have meter and land the hit. You're not getting much damage without meter unless you get a background bounce. But this can be said about a fair amount of the roster.

He's only really scary (some MUs are obviously different) when he has his trait and even then, if you know how to deal with the situation, it's a lot less alarming. Now, it goes without saying that you're gonna fuck up and get caught eventually. It's just the way it is. Human error 'n all that.

His zoning is fairly good in my opinion. It's not top 3 zoning, but it should be noted that it serves its purpose.

His buttons are just...gtfo. His only real punish against most things in the game seems to be from his d1 or s2, neither of which lead to fuck all as far as damage goes. If you want to launch someone as a punish, they need to be -14 (f2 is 13f) or -18 (b1 is 17f) at the very least. What. The. FUCK.

112 is +3 but has a dumb kind of pushback that doesn't allow you to capitalize on it.

His strings need to come out on whiff, namely 22(3) and 21. I guess 22 not coming out on whiff makes sense because if you've ever seen the second 2 whiff in a combo, the Omega Beam goes all nutty and shoots into the sky. Perhaps due to the way its tracking seems to work, it coming out on whiff may cause some balance issues or technical issues. If that's not the case, however, then it ought to come out.

Same with 21. The 1 is a short-range low that I think would be a decent tool in the neutral instead of relying on db1 and its awful startup, whiff recovery and block recovery. Oh, let's also not forget that it fucking whiffs randomly DURING combos. Or, it will whiff entirely even though it looks like it should have hit the opponent.

Why df2 is a high is beyond me. Why you can't MB it on block to make it +10 like the game says you can is beyond me as well as that would eliminate SOOOOO much of the disrespecting that goes on against this character while he's plus.

I think that since db1 has awful startup and recovery (whiff and block) that you should be able to MB it to launch but still retain its current frame data so it remains punishable.

Despite any of the above, I have an absolute blast (barring a few MUs) playing this character and haven't really spent any time learning another one in the slightest to pick for his bad MUs.

I don't think he's low tier by any stretch. I just don't think he's this godlike character that some folks make him out to be. But maybe that's on me. I have no idea. I love him and he's completely viable, but some of his shit simply doesn't make sense.
Agreed with everything written here.

Tweedy

Noob
@Eldriken he doesn't need buttons because of trait and regular teleport. He has a 6 frame d1 and a 5 frame jump 1 to win air to airs. That's legit all he needs. Just because you don't like playing like that, doesn't mean that he's not undeniable top 10.

I know I made an assumption there but I don't care this char brokie oki dokie.

Tweedy

Noob
Tweedy, dude...

Just stop.
Imagine if someone played Tarkatan Alien on MKX and was like "yeah his rushdown is the best ever but man he has no projectile so he can't be top 10".

You might want a well rounded or different character, but that doesn't mean he needs to be well rounded or different to be amazing. Darkseid is just trait-teleport-blender.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I will offer my perspective.
Eldriken said:
The vast majority of characters have limited combos without meter in this game. Darkseid is not an exception to this rule, but f+2,3 -> jumping 3 -> stomp does very good meter-less damage as a punishing combo.

With or without trait, Darkseid has an unsafe 50/50 mix up that leads to a 40% combo. The trait complements and strengthens this mix up. He is the only zoning character who has access to such high damage from a 50/50 mix up. Deadshot's 50/50 mix up is superior to Darkseid's in the corner but leads to limited damage mid screen.

I think the zoning is top 3 but only in conjunction with the other tools.

I agree. The buttons and strings suck, but they suck for a reason. The developers of the game probably did not want the character to have good buttons and strings in combination with the 50/50 mix up, trait, and teleport.

If d,f+2 hit mid and if you were able to meter burn d,f+2 on block, defensive d+1 -> MB d,f+2 would be too powerful in combination with the 50/50 mix up. Given the enormous block advantage, you would essentially create pre-patch Quan Chi. Besides, only a handful of characters in this game have any block advantages higher than +2.

Maybe, but you should use d+3 instead of d,f+1, which should only be used at a range where the tip of the laser hits. d+3 has slightly less range than d,f+1 but shares the same start up frames, is safer on block by 8 frames, and creates an untechable knockdown. You also do not have to hit d+3 at max range to be very safe on block. I treat Darkseid's d+3 kind of like Zod's push in Injustice 1. Very good range. Safe on block. Respectable hit advantage. Terrible whiff recovery frames. Depending on the match up, the risk ranges from low to medium while the reward is medium.

The character may have some issues as the game develops, but I suggest that we focus less on buffs and more on discovering tech and fighting the current top tier characters.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
@General M2Dave, they should still reduce the start up frames of f2 if they re not going to make it a mid hitting attack.Regarding punishes, he is srsly the WORST in the game.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
@General M2Dave, they should still reduce the start up frames of f2 if they re not going to make it a mid hitting attack.Regarding punishes, he is srsly the WORST in the game.
I agree with you that checking opponents is an issue, but which moves are you struggling to punish with Darkseid?

You can use d+1 -> palm blast to punish any move that is -7 on block or more.

Palm blast has very good range and punishes lots of moves that are -12 on block or more. Some punishes include Catwoman's low whip when in range, Deadshot's b+1,2,u+3, even when canceled into wrist cannon or knee, Firestorm's charge, albeit f+2,3 is more difficult but works too, Red Hood's forward lunge and 3,3,2,u+2 in trait, Supergirl's ice breath, etc. How many characters have a single option to punish all these moves on block?

Palm blast is always superior to low laser, but use the low laser to punish Aquaman's trident rush, even when perfectly spaced, in order avoid the last hit of palm blast being blocked in trait, even though you could meter burn and take the frame advantage.

For big punishes, use f+2,3 or instant aerial stomp, which is possible to execute on the 14th frame but realistically on the 16th or 17th. You can use f+2,3 on some whiffs in footsies too such as backdashing Green Lantern's b+1,3. MB b+1,u+3 may also have to be used in some rare situations such as blocking Bane's elbow or Batman's slide.