What's new

Darkseid - General Strategies and Discussion

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
I did a combo video for him but I dont know how much I like him. His lack of a mid is really tough at times. Figured I would share the video though. Inputs are in the video

And yes I know the image is spelled wrong in the intro lol.

Death By Nines

Catharsis
I've always loved this character, but I'm sad that I probably won't be putting as much time into him as I initially thought. His lack of a reliable mid REALLY hurts him in certain matchups. After extensive play today I believe he struggles badly against characters who can ignore his zoning for the most part and pressure him up close because outside of D1 he doesn't have any pokes that can check them. A good Flash will get all up in your space and tear you a new one repeatedly unless you have impeccably faultless defense. Yes he does respectable damage, but without any real way to get it consistently.

If they make standing 2 more relaible in range and utility it'll go a long way in helping. I'm no expert, just musing is all. He's still badass as all hell and is worth using for his super animation alone.

Parasurama

Dragon
I've always loved this character, but I'm sad that I probably won't be putting as much time into him as I initially thought. His lack of a reliable mid REALLY hurts him in certain matchups. After extensive play today I believe he struggles badly against characters who can ignore his zoning for the most part and pressure him up close because outside of D1 he doesn't have any pokes that can check them. A good Flash will get all up in your space and tear you a new one repeatedly unless you have impeccably faultless defense. Yes he does respectable damage, but without any real way to get it consistently.

If they make standing 2 more relaible in range and utility it'll go a long way in helping. I'm no expert, just musing is all. He's still badass as all hell and is worth using for his super animation alone.
I haven't played with him yet but what about his knee?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I haven't played with him yet but what about his knee?
The regular knee is -10 on block, but you can do d+1, which has a 6 frame start up, into EX knee, which is +2 on block and leaves your opponent right next to you. The EX knee is also Darkseid's wake up attack so he has an invincible advantageous attack on wake up.

f+2,u+3 is no Superman's f+2,3, but it launches, is safe on block, and can also be canceled into EX knee. The first hit is a high attack so opponents will start mashing low pokes. You can try to whiff punish with d+3, which is very safe outside of point blank range, or start jumping or aerial teleporting into jumping 3 or stomp. This meta has been the extent of his footsies thus far.

So I got some real match time with him last night and boy, you guys were not kidding about having a decent mid =/

played against my friends pretty decent supergirl and that matchup feels rough. like after a blocked ice (b12 ice breath) most people get to take a turn and press a button, but poor darkseid cant even reach her with his 2 . plus zoning her is not an option, she can teleport on reaction to punish. was able to bait a few times with d3 since it looks like lazers but nothing was gained other than having her in my face since the recovery is too long to punish the teleport punch whiffing (and she gets a combo still if she MB it).

when i could get it I found decent pressure with b1starter , d1 , 21 db1 , and instant stomp , but alot of his gameplan puts the opponent back full screen so its hard to keep the pressure up when you are behind.

of course, not every char is supergirl , or has her tools but it def opens up your eyes to what kind of issues he will have in this game.

also , while knees MB is +2 there doesnt seem to be alot he can do with that since his fastest mid is 9 frames and even if it his you get like, maybe 200 if you spend meter. they can still hit d1 and get there turn back so alot of times the best thing you can do after MB knees is just d1 yourself. which would be fine if we had a combo starting special like robin and could just get a nice 400+dmg and an oki set up off our d1....

Wavy

Block Spammer
I posted this in the other tech thread but I would like to add more discussion here. Would love to see more strats on here about his trait. Setups, combos, potentially trait-combo-trait and hard-to-blockables. Even if it's possible to use the running minion to fill the gap in some strings? What the advantages are such as if it makes things safe. I know some of his fundamentals without the trait. I do think even with the noticeable flaws he still has potential.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
It looks like his only invincible moves on wakeup are Palm Blast, which has a ton of invincibility frames but hits high, and Flying Knee. Both are relatively safe on block, but don't do shit against aerial pressure. I thought Boom Tube had some invincibility frames because I was getting away with wakeup Boom Tube quite a bit yesterday, but nope, no invincibility, though I guess it's still ok as a hard read on jump-in pressure.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Anyone finding any good uses for trait? I just started experimenting with MvC-esque teleport crossups. Call trait, use trait causing it to hit just as you teleport, opponent doesn't know which way to block, but even if they do block correctly, you're still way plus. Doesn't work with overhead trait, unfortunately. Might be a good answer to the Scarecrow matchup.

Last edited:

REYTHEGREAT

I think we should posting matchups just to see how everyone is using these strategies and setups in a real match. thoughts?

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Anyone else having trouble getting Doom Stomp to come out? I thought maybe my pad just sucked, but even on hitbox I'm having the hardest time getting it to come out. My input log is showing all of the correct inputs. If I'm lucky, just nothing comes out, but I also keep getting meter-burn f3 as soon as I land, like it's trying to cancel a j3 into meter-burn f3. I could do Jax run-cancel combos no problem in MKX, and was a C. Viper player in USFIV, but I can't get this one damn df input move to work consistently and it's literally driving me crazy. Someone please tell me it's not just me having these issues.

[Edit] Literally after posting this, I did j3 into df3 and it worked. I then reset the match and did it again, the exact same inputs were logged, but it just didn't come out that time. Am I just insane? What the fuck is happening with this move?

Arzumis

Noob
Anyone else having trouble getting Doom Stomp to come out? I thought maybe my pad just sucked, but even on hitbox I'm having the hardest time getting it to come out. My input log is showing all of the correct inputs. If I'm lucky, just nothing comes out, but I also keep getting meter-burn f3 as soon as I land, like it's trying to cancel a j3 into meter-burn f3. I could do Jax run-cancel combos no problem in MKX, and was a C. Viper player in USFIV, but I can't get this one damn df input move to work consistently and it's literally driving me crazy. Someone please tell me it's not just me having these issues.

[Edit] Literally after posting this, I did j3 into df3 and it worked. I then reset the match and did it again, the exact same inputs were logged, but it just didn't come out that time. Am I just insane? What the fuck is happening with this move?
Dont input j3 df3 together. Let the j3 hit and then df3. I was having this issue too. Just dont rush the inputs.

E

Eldriken

I'm having the same thing. I kiss two bars of meter goodbye because it tries to fucking bounce cancel after j3 when trying to do MB Doom Stomp.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm having the same thing. I kiss two bars of meter goodbye because it tries to fucking bounce cancel after j3 when trying to do MB Doom Stomp.
I'm starting to figure it out a bit. It seems to help if I make sure my pad is neutral when I j3. So I jump forward, release my pad, then press 3.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Phew, the recovery on his Up-Laser is really rough. Might just stick to air straight lasers.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If you have trait out and are in block-stun, you can just hold the trait button and it will execute on the first available frame. It looks like this can be used to automatically punish gaps.

Testing now, but so far it seems confirmed. This means if you have trait out, you can punish any gap with 100% certainty, no reads or skill required.

Hmm, well sometimes the demon will just teleport away. Tough to test solo (record ai doing block-strings with gaps).

Last edited:

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Can we talk about how his d3 is better than all of his other laser attacks, including his low-laser special?