What's new

Damien flowchart (my thoughts and opinions)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I am publishing my thoughts here strictly to have a public record and place to keep updating. This isn't a living guide per say but rather his evolving meta.

Robin in neutral
This is considered to be Robin's best strength however the speed of his normals can be easily bypassed if you don't approach calculated. What is the best way to counter Robin's normals? Walk out of range (not hard) or zoning. But there is a sweet spot where the opponent has to respect b2. When you are in this range, the opponent has to do one of 3 things

1) be aggressive - hope that they can pressure you before you pressure them with zoning or normals
2) walk back out of range
3) Jump forward or back

All three can effectively counter his normals but all three can be countered if you know your options.

Establishing the neutral:
This is not as simple as throwing out normals in mid range...it is far more complex. Just out side of b2 range your opponent may think they are safe (and mostly they are) but you can do a few things to force a reaction.

WALK FORWARD

This can be terrifying for a number of reasons. if you walk forward they we likely walk backwards or become aggressive. If they become aggressive this is good, because Robin has great counter options and whiff punish tools...if they back up then this is where the neutral can be established. Below are his walk forward options and remember, you are likely in and around b2 range when I say this:

Level 1) Walk forward wait
Level 2) Walk forward low trait
Level 3) Walk forward BR

If my opponent is letting me do these things than I have successfully established the neutral. After each of these options I am not winning...I am conditioning. If I get off a BR or low trait, the next level of mind games can start. Will they jump to avoid? will they back themselves into a corner? Will they become aggressive to throw off your game? This is Robin's game in my opinion.

Notice the levels next to the options above. Level 1 is walking forward and blocking low risk low reward. This is simply wait and bait game and is surprisingly powerful if they make the wrong move. If they respect the wait and bait, you can establish level 2...the low trait option. This is an interesting tool in neutral. 16 frames of startup to set the trap and 11 frames to detonate. It also has a very large hitbox and will often catch opponents who are walking back too much. This is medium risk medium reward. Once they respect level 2, level 3 becomes much easier to do. BR is almost a full second of startup so you can't just "do it" in neutral without establishing level 1 and 2. This is high risk high reward. For Robin, gaining ground is almost as important as getting damage because of how good his corner game is.

Now that you have established the neutral, now what?
I could argue that Robin's corner game and setplay are almost better than his neutral. Every combo ends in a setup that can nullify wakeups and grant free pressure or "oki". If the opponent makes the wrong move you can loop these setups. Its not always 50/50 town in the midscreen but in the corner it can be. low trait is a combo starter and swoop mb can be a really good crossup option if they don't expect it. All these things can loop back into themselves and can quickly win you the game regardless of your life deficit. So a big part of robin's game needs to be GETTING THEM TO THE CORNER!

Use trait as often as possible. It comes back every 4 seconds so you shouldn't feel like you have to sit on it. USE IT.

midscreen preferred bnb:
f21b2 d2 df4f call 212 BR or db2. Save your meter, you don't need it for combos unless they happen to switch sides.

His db2 mb and his bf3 switch sides. Use them to prioritize keeping your opponent in the corner over damage unless it wins you the game. His trait has many applications across many different mu and there isn't going to be just one strategy but I feel there can be one overarching goal...using it to keep them in the corner. Maybe one day I can go in deep with trait applications but for now, lets start with setting the goal.

Setplay
Every Robin player has sat in the lab and done combo after combo from setup to setup till the training dummy is dead. Getting those setups to hit is much harder in real matches. Regardless, he has it in spaids...I'll one day go into this as well but for now i see mostly 2 applications. 212 low trait into f2 starter or 212 BR to stuff wakeups and get free pressure. There is much more to this however.

TLDR:

Establish neutral
Level 1) Walk forward wait
Level 2) Walk forward low trait
Level 3) Walk forward BR

Get them to corner or get any combo to hit then mix
Know opponent wakeup options and modify combo to remove their wakeup and maintain a mixup option. Know your 50/50s and how to convert into the next setup.

Keep your ground
Do not lose the corner by any means necessary. Use his side switching specials to keep them in the corner, NOT for extra damage unless it wins you the game.