What's new

Daanish Syed Goes Over How to Design a Player Select Screen

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
NRS UI Artist, Daanish Syed put out a video today discussing the science behind a fighting game's player select screen. Using Injustice: Gods Among Us as his subject, he goes through and discusses all the minutiae that impacted their decisions in designing one of the most important things you see in a fighting game.

It's not something you really think about, but there is a surprising amount of thought that has to go into this, in order to make sure your player select screen isn't just a bunch of pictures. He starts off with the more general decisions going into this, like splitting the sides of the screen between heroes and villains, but then goes into some more complex ideas that you probably didn't notice. If you are considering making your own fighting game (I know a few people here are/have) this is a good watch. If not, it's still a pretty interesting way to spend 6 minutes. Video is down below, check it out:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
That was a very interesting video. That goes to show how much of a detail you need to put in a fighting game.

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
I don't understand why it is surprising that even user interfaces have to be designed. it's a lot of work that goes into everything behind a software project. This is of course not only the truth for software, but for kinda everything you can imagine.