What's new

Daanish from NRS hinting a big single player mode on Twitter

Read the full Twitter thread for context.

I've seen a screenshot floating around of what appears to be the MK1 Warrior Shrine Stage and "???" under it. What do you think this mode will be?

https://twitter.com/_DaanishSyed/status/1086538151974322176

Reading all the MK11 reactions have been incredible. Even some of the criticisms have been totally welcome and may inform how the game shapes up. I am a little shocked nobody asked about a very subtle tease we put in the demo. People will lose their minds when we reveal it.

What do you believe that this image could possibly be, and what is could mean?

*edited and promoted by KingKhrystopher

Last edited by a moderator:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Armageddon's kind of "open world rpg" sorta thing was awesome. I would love to see that come back.. a story driven open world thing were the fights just turn into vsAI matches like you get in a tower. You could even have progression by learning moves from different senseis and "build your own character" or w/e.

SubZeroIce

Runway
Armageddon's kind of "open world rpg" sorta thing was awesome. I would love to see that come back.. a story driven open world thing were the fights just turn into vsAI matches like you get in a tower. You could even have progression by learning moves from different senseis and "build your own character" or w/e.
Konquest would be cool. Maybe they mean a return to MKDA Konquest mode too since Rain standing looking ahead seemed reminiscent of that.

Gamer68

Fujin!
It would be cool if it's a Shaolin Monks or Konquest type mode that basically goes over a sub-plot of the story. They don't have a comic series this time, so maybe this mode and cover some things the main story couldn't.

It would be cool if it's a Shaolin Monks or Konquest type mode that basically goes over a sub-plot of the story. They don't have a comic series this time, so maybe this mode and cover some things the main story couldn't.
I'm always split on stuff like this. Monks was fun but at the same time devlopment is a thing. MK clearly has a much higher budget than it's probably ever had, but part of the problem with the 3d era was time wasted on gimmicks like chess and kart racing rather than focusing on the main point of the game.

Fighters rarely make for compelling single player experiences compared to a real single player game (with the best that I can think of merely being ok) so I'm always worried when I see them dumping a ton of time and resources into a mode that takes away from the core gameplay.

Now granted maybe there's some clever way to merge the two to an extent, and I think there's a lot more you could do with single player tournaments even to keep things interesting, but I'd probably be ok with an MK9 affair where it's just a half decent plot and your usual back to back beat em ups.

SenSx

Noob
I'm always split on stuff like this. Monks was fun but at the same time devlopment is a thing. MK clearly has a much higher budget than it's probably ever had, but part of the problem with the 3d era was time wasted on gimmicks like chess and kart racing rather than focusing on the main point of the game.

Fighters rarely make for compelling single player experiences compared to a real single player game (with the best that I can think of merely being ok) so I'm always worried when I see them dumping a ton of time and resources into a mode that takes away from the core gameplay.

Now granted maybe there's some clever way to merge the two to an extent, and I think there's a lot more you could do with single player tournaments even to keep things interesting, but I'd probably be ok with an MK9 affair where it's just a half decent plot and your usual back to back beat em ups.
I 100% agree with that.
I'm ok with solo content, but absolute priority is gameplay and ONLINE.
Did they manage to make online good in I2 ?
I remember it being ass in MKX.
They did update it, but since I'm on PC with a lower playerbase, everyone had alwready left the game, could never experience it.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I 100% agree with that.
I'm ok with solo content, but absolute priority is gameplay and ONLINE.
Did they manage to make online good in I2 ?
I remember it being ass in MKX.
They did update it, but since I'm on PC with a lower playerbase, everyone had alwready left the game, could never experience it.
Injustice 2 is widely recognized as having one of the best onlines in fighting games.

MKX’s online update was the springboard for it, and was really good as well.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Calling it now the krypt will be shaolin monks style adventure
agreed, this make sense ..... since exploring the Krypt alone in previous games (MK9 and MKX), always waiting for a jump scare, seems boring .... with some kinda of interactive gameplay like, having a 3rd person vision MK 11 char full on screen, running, fighting monsters, and discovering stuff and secrets , the Krypt could be way better entertaiment time !!

mdsfx

Noob
Considering the heavy focus on overlapping timelines, I wonder if it's possible that you might be able to replay the previous games with classic characters all done in the new system in unreal 4. I know that's a huge stretch, but it seems like an interesting idea.

I found the image on Reddit yesterday and I cannot find it now. It's an off screen shot of a mode called "???" and the image of the mode looks like the mk1 shrine. If I knew how to post saved pictures from my phone...

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
it's 100% Johnny and Kano statues from MK1's Warrior Shrine stage.

Also, I highly doubt we are getting a Shaolin Monks style game. That would be a big waste of resources, in my opinion.

My theory is that all those HD remakes of past games that never saw the light of day will finally be implemented into the game and this is where you'll see them.

it's 100% Johnny and Kano statues from MK1's Warrior Shrine stage.

Also, I highly doubt we are getting a Shaolin Monks style game. That would be a big waste of resources, in my opinion.

My theory is that all those HD remakes of past games that never saw the light of day will finally be implemented into the game and this is where you'll see them.
That'd be amazing! Whatever it is, I do hope this stage makes a return in the game as well. Talk about nostalgia.

Gamer68

Fujin!
The Warrior Shrine thingy ISN'T the 4th hidden mode. You can find this particular selection (Warrior Shrine) under "Fight" which is the same area with Local Versus and whatnot. To be fair, we don't know what it is so it could still be something special, it's just that this isn't the selection NRS was referring to.

This is the 4th hidden mode:

It's been blacked out because they don't really want you to see it, but you can still make some things out... to me it kinda looks like a mountainous location and in the top left corner there is a tree or hanging vines or something. Not a lot to go off of.