What's new

Tech D4 smoke port

Glass Sword

Nobody
D4 jails when one links a special to it. So since smoke port 11 frames in front and 20 frames behind if the opponent is ducking than the smoke port whiffs and smoke is at plus 1.
Somberness would this be correct?

Also there might be other jailing strings Smoke can use. Get on that Smoke community!
Edit: I found the other strings: b1, b14, and f4.

D4 jails when one links a special to it. So since smoke port 11 frames in front and 20 frames behind if the opponent is ducking than the smoke port whiffs and smoke is at plus 1.
Somberness would this be correct?

Also there might be other jailing strings Smoke can use. Get on that Smoke community!
No, he's -3 and it only works if the opponent is crouchblocking. You can only do this on a read. If you read them crouchblocking, why aren't you using b23? Sorry but this isn't useful

I guess you could do it after b14 if they're jailed crouching but I don't really see the point honestly

One sort-of related thing I like to do vs. characters with short-range d1's is to use 3d1(block-confirm)~smoke towards crossup. It leaves you out of range of many characters d1's, so you can b23 them or plain sb them for full combo sometimes.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
If you are in D4 range you probably should be in the D4 > B2 mentality. Make them fear the overhead.

RiBBz22

Not bad... do you know if it's the same for Reptile?
Invis for Reptile recovers 8 frames faster which is ridiculous and makes the move really pointless when used up close. Invis should really only be used as a mind game from a safe distance or after heavy advantage on hit.

Glass Sword

Nobody
You can also get the smokeport to whiff off of f4 and b14 or just b1. All these strings jail and they seem to have made the first hit whiff so you can not use ex smokeport and get a guaranteed overhead. I was just kinda throwing this out there it is nice to know all your options.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Are we talking about the teleport punch?

Sounds kind of whack, if you're doing d4 you are guessing they are blocking high, yet doing tele punch means if they are blocking high you will get punished by a full combo. Smoke already has b2 to keep them blocking high as others have said.

Reactions: LaR

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
If you are in D4 range you probably should be in the D4 > B2 mentality. Make them fear the overhead.
I would be more in the D4 > Grab mentality the first few times. Everyone and their mothers block high at this point. They try to tech the throw later on? lulz B2.

That or 2 1 4 pressure, but I like keeping it simple: throw them bitches. =D

RiBBz22

I would be more in the D4 > Grab mentality the first few times. Everyone and their mothers block high at this point. They try to tech the throw later on? lulz B2.

That or 2 1 4 pressure, but I like keeping it simple: throw them bitches. =D
Yep, it is all part of the mix-up/pressure game. B2, throw, 2 throw, 214, 2 214, are all good in that situation. And back dash after the 214 on block is sweet as hell for blowing up whiffed normals.

CYracks

Command Grabber
Invis for Reptile recovers 8 frames faster which is ridiculous and makes the move really pointless when used up close. Invis should really only be used as a mind game from a safe distance or after heavy advantage on hit.
I know this isn't the Reptile forum, but it's an awesome mind game up close if you use it sparingly. D4 invisibility you're +4 with a 6 frame dash. In my experience, using invisibility randomly is the best way to get people to do stupid things or lock them down.

EDIT: I don't know why people keep saying invisibility doesn't work activated up close. Showtime does it all the time at a high level

RiBBz22

I know this isn't the Reptile forum, but it's an awesome mind game up close if you use it sparingly. D4 invisibility you're +4 with a 6 frame dash. In my experience, using invisibility randomly is the best way to get people to do stupid things or lock them down.

EDIT: I don't know why people keep saying invisibility doesn't work activated up close. Showtime does it all the time at a high level
Reptile's yes, Smoke's no

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
as far as chaining specials to pokes goes.... after your launcher on block, d1 smoke bomb is pretty cheesy. especially on chars that dont have moves fast enough to beat the poke or punish the smoke bomb.
but you guys probably knew this.... i just found out about this the other day thought i would share it ^.^

RiBBz22

as far as chaining specials to pokes goes.... after your launcher on block, d1 smoke bomb is pretty cheesy. especially on chars that dont have moves fast enough to beat the poke or punish the smoke bomb.
but you guys probably knew this.... i just found out about this the other day thought i would share it ^.^
Ya, he has the good fortune of being able to cancel the d1 into SB on block so it makes his D1 pressure that much more of a mind game even when it is hella negative on block. The opponent needs to be careful and should be respecting it. Online it is really tough to jump out of d1~SB, but you can do it offline without too much of a problem.