What's new

d3/d4/d1 poking

Impose

A Call For Blood
it's driving me nuts. mixing it up as best as i can. d3 and d4 just completely negates the pressure i put on. what are you supposed to do to counter this stuff?

its usually after a 12 or when im doing 213 that a downpoke just fucks me over

LEGEND

YES!
you have to read a poke and either block then punish or make them wiff it then punish. Once you've established that poking is a risk then you can go for mix-ups like 50/50s and grabs more safely

AssassiN

Noob
D4's are countered via B1 + low fireball.
Doesn't do a lot of damage but gives you space and ability to zone again, can be easily baited and whiff punished so be careful.

D1 and D3's have to be baited. D1's can be punished on block with B312 while D3 on block gives you free pressure or you can backdash into B312 if you're reading his D3.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Yea, if your opponent is doing d4 after anything neutral, just b312. b3 is 10 frames, while most d4s are 12 frames. (except for that Sub-Zero guy)

if your opponent is doing d1s or d3s after anything neutral, block and punish. Most d1s are ~-15 on block, while d3s are ~-7 on block. If you block a d1, punish with b3(12), if you blocked a d3, d3 and hit confirm into b312 or 213.

Yea, it's pretty useless. It's +5 on hit, and -9 on block, which is better than some of the cast. But still, pretty useless. You can try lower your hitbox vs crossovers, but that's a huge risk.
the frame data on block and hit is surprisingly good. but why use a 10 frame poke when you have a 10 frame low string that launches. I never really use d1 at all with any character but kitana. except for counterpoking for d3 into crossoverhappy people.

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
I find lius D1 to be a waste. Its the same frames as b3....so yea....

As for people poking you, liu kang MUST stagger strings to get pressure. With no 6 frame move, he gets out poked all day e'ery day.
Also, from time to time, finish F121. Every player in the world knows liu comes in with F12, so complete the string and send em full screen to reset your zoning. Or if you are really feeling froggy, and you read they like to poke after F12, give em the F12xxEXlowfireball.

Moral of the story is, despite being rush down a lot of the time, liu LOSES the down poke game to almost all of the cast because of 6 frame d1s all over. Dont be predictable. 334, b2,3 and b2,b3 are all good neutral pressure strings to keep your opponent honest, and F4 is gold.

Liu is SO MUCH MORE than F12, 213, B312

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I find lius D1 to be a waste. Its the same frames as b3....so yea....

As for people poking you, liu kang MUST stagger strings to get pressure. With no 6 frame move, he gets out poked all day e'ery day.
Also, from time to time, finish F121. Every player in the world knows liu comes in with F12, so complete the string and send em full screen to reset your zoning. Or if you are really feeling froggy, and you read they like to poke after F12, give em the F12xxEXlowfireball.

Moral of the story is, despite being rush down a lot of the time, liu LOSES the down poke game to almost all of the cast because of 6 frame d1s all over. Dont be predictable. 334, b2,3 and b2,b3 are all good neutral pressure strings to keep your opponent honest, and F4 is gold.

Liu is SO MUCH MORE than F12, 213, B312
Those are some good options, but if you know your opponent is going to poke, just block and punish. A 38% combo should keep them from doing another d1 after a b312 or 213. (or any other string) If they d3, just d3 them back. (Or d2, if your opponent likes to d3 crossover)

GGA Saucy Jack

The artist formerly known as ImNewbieSauce
Those are some good options, but if you know your opponent is going to poke, just block and punish. A 38% combo should keep them from doing another d1 after a b312 or 213. (or any other string) If they d3, just d3 them back. (Or d2, if your opponent likes to d3 crossover)
Thats the mind game. :) sometimes im proactive, sometimes im reactive. Personal opinion, liu is one of the most predictable characters in the game. I find im most effective when i go off the grid. Obviously that can be said for all characters, but with liu i think its even more important. Just my opinion.