What's new

Question D1xxCat Claws Timing

Justice

Noob
I'm trying to expand my game a little and since at this stage, I find myself blocking a lot I have decided to start working 0n D1xxCat Claws while already ducking. I can do it pretty consistently from a standing position where I just have to tap the Down button but if I'm already holding Down (like say I'm blocking a string low) I seem to have troubles getting the Cat Claws to come out.

Anyone have any tips? Right now I'm just practicing in the lab with the AI on Auto Block. I can get it off periodically but I usually either get nothing or the AI blocks the Cat Claws.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Not a CW player but is Cat Claws a DF/DB motion? If so I also have this problem with pretty much any character. I have difficulty counter-poking with D1 xx Special when I'm already crouching. In MK9 it was easy because the directional inputs seemed to have negative edge so if you released down while going for a DF/DB motion the Special still came out.

D1 xx Sword Spin with DS or D1 xx Triden Rush with Aquaman is hard to do for me when I'm doing it while blocking low.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
It's really not as awkward as it seems, personally, I feel that CW has one of the easier ones to combo into. As soon as you do d1, just immediately input the bf1. You don't have to do super, super fast, but think of it as one motion.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It's really not as awkward as it seems, personally, I feel that CW has one of the easier ones to combo into. As soon as you do d1, just immediately input the bf1. You don't have to do super, super fast, but think of it as one motion.

I agree. Don't really have any tricks just practice.

Justice

Noob
@Enuma Elish it's a BF1 input. I don't seem to have problems with DB/DF input since when I get sloppy inputs, I get a lot of D1xxWhips :D

@xWildx I think it's a "groove" thing. When I do the standing one I get it pretty consistently without even looking at the screen. But when I do the crouching one, I have to look at the screen and time the Claws to match when the D1 hits which causes me to panic and end up with sloppy inputs much of the time :(

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Yeah, it took me quite a while to get good at doing it quickly in the heat of battle. Still mess up from time to time. Just gotta keep trying. Tight punishes like MMH grab are the worst cause you want to input it as fast as possible. I'd practice on that.

Justice

Noob
Yeah, it took me quite a while to get good at doing it quickly in the heat of battle. Still mess up from time to time. Just gotta keep trying. Tight punishes like MMH grab are the worst cause you want to input it as fast as possible. I'd practice on that.
Can I set the AI for that or do I need to record it?

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Actually the key to getting this to come out consistently, is to go to neutral after the d1, then do back forward 1. If you roll into back forward 1 you will either get up whip or forward whip depending on how fast you hit one. Going to neutral always guarantees it.