What's new

Question D1 vs D3

So I just picked up Cage these past couple weeks and I'm having a tough time knowing when to D1 or D3.

I know that obviously D3 is for the most part a better poke. +3 on hit to stand and +10 to crouch, but I also like the anti-airing properties of D1.

Is this more of an opponent issue or an online issue? i.e. Use D1 against opponents that like to try jumping out of pressure and D3 against those who try to poke out? Are there specific pressure scenarios where D1 has more of a use, like after 21?

GGA Dizzy
Playpal
Mikemetroid

D3 is better most of the time. Only time I use d1 is if I really need something fast or if d3 whiffs against certain normals.

Even if your opponent jumps over your d3, you can recover in time to AA them. It'll lead to more damage than if you were to catch them out of the air with d1.

D3 is better most of the time. Only time I use d1 is if I really need something fast or if d3 whiffs against certain normals.

Even if your opponent jumps over your d3, you can recover in time to AA them. It'll lead to more damage than if you were to catch them out of the air with d1.
So pretty much never use D1 then?

So I just picked up Cage these past couple weeks and I'm having a tough time knowing when to D1 or D3.

I know that obviously D3 is for the most part a better poke. +3 on hit to stand and +10 to crouch, but I also like the anti-airing properties of D1.

Is this more of an opponent issue or an online issue? i.e. Use D1 against opponents that like to try jumping out of pressure and D3 against those who try to poke out? Are there specific pressure scenarios where D1 has more of a use, like after 21?

GGA Dizzy
Playpal
Mikemetroid
D3's in general have quicker recovery on block. D1 is usually -13 (in some cases -15) on block.

D3 is more-or-less used when you're trying to maintain pressure, and are able to recognize that your opponent is looking for counter-pokes (D1 is easy to counter-poke).

D3 may not be preferable in certain situations however (ie: Against Sonya Dive Kick) because you are susceptible to getting checked for trying to maintain pressure with it.

Ideally you wouldn't want to use d1 ever because it's punishable and isn't rewarding on hit. It does have two advantages over d3 though: it doesn't whiff on kicking normals and it's 6 frames. The d1 is good for stuffing out your opponent's low pokes. Really, it's up to you. It's probably best to condition yourself to use d3 and counterpoke though.

Ok, I was almost on the right track then. I've been 95% D3 and D1'ing on a jump out read. Guess i'll get rid of the D1 though and look at AA'ing if they jump the D3. Sometimes I get the B3 AA automatically, but half the time it gets JIP'd.

As a Sub mainer, I've never had a D1 that was worth a damn, so I didn't know the main advantages between the two. :D

Dizzy almost always uses d3. Because F3 acts like a d1 in catching people try to jump out. So I think the answer is a mix of d3's and f3's.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
The d1 sparingly though, like once or twice to get them to try and react and d3 just to get hit by dash back b3. The cool part about this is it can scare opponents from poking like at all, opening up even more stupid shit up close