What's new

Cyborg Pressure Concepts

Kekoa

Noob
Just something if they contest you without an op wake up.

One question /statement guys if you do 112 into ta and do a meaty b12 and the TA hits (hypothetically speaking) on reaction are you guaranteed a ji1 or ji2 into a cross up I see a lot of batman doing this [trait hits then they do what looks like an njp into a cross up JIK into full combo and I can't really stop it]
after batman's grapple using their trait but our ta has more hit advantage than their silly bat right? Something to look into what are good jailing jump in combos if they respect the ji?

I used shinnok in mkx and his ji2 always had advantages what are your thoughts.
@HiddenSelectCounterPick this is some of what I found on jump in pressure after TA. Jump in jails on all of these. MBF3 lets you keep the corner. B12 meaty puts you on the other side but the jump in doesn't actually cross up, whatever you input after the jump in does cross up. Let me know what you think! (they can d2 or poke after the instant J2)

COLOS5US

Noob
New to the game and this easily seems to be the best community on TYM. I think I'm gonna main Cyborg just because of that! Lots of content to go back watch and learn!

Lanqu

Noob
guys all this setups are very cool. But what bothers me and I gues everyone who plays Cyborg, that converts of sudden aa during opponents jumps out are often like 5-7% and sometimes it results even in getting punished.
I've never seen anyone who kept all the jail to the end (lol, but 112 got accordingly blocked like a 1/100 times). What would be great - take the easiest setup and develop stable conversions for most of the situations.
For example, when opp is cornered after 112 - TA setup -> b12 into grapple then:
- jumps out on wake up: b12 drops combo.
- jumps out on wake up but staggered b1 can aa into full easy combo
- blocks staggered b1 and then jumps out - almost nothing you can do with that setup
- eats b12: grapple puts us conered whiffing followup pressure and even getting punished
So the only way to get that setup working - is fully respect al the jail pressure what almost never happens in real life.

So what is the point of such setups? What we need is consistency. I've watched lots of gameplays on different tournaments where Cyborg usually wins only doing consistent things like constant projectile wars and keep away game. Because going into setup will almost always result in a few percents damage done.

What is my preferd way to play: end any combo into f22 that results in HKD. That allows you free 1 dash in and ambigous crossup follow up into 112 pressure. That is guaranteed.
Corener 113 ender into grapple is also like 90% percent guaranteed pressure. Though opp can rollback and cyborg end up cornered -_-

What I want to say, cyborg design makes you think that its setup machine. But after playing so much I understand, that those tools that he has doesn't allow him to consistently build meter out of his pressure or convert different situations into decent damage or new guaranteed setup (have you ever tried 10/10 end in 112 TA after aa combo? Thats almost impossible). So the most consistent way to play Cyb is actually IAFB and developing keep away game. Cyborg can never be such a setup-pressure machine like Red Hood for example...

..just my thoughts about the way to develop Cyborg..

guys all this setups are very cool. But what bothers me and I gues everyone who plays Cyborg, that converts of sudden aa during opponents jumps out are often like 5-7% and sometimes it results even in getting punished.
I've never seen anyone who kept all the jail to the end (lol, but 112 got accordingly blocked like a 1/100 times). What would be great - take the easiest setup and develop stable conversions for most of the situations.
For example, when opp is cornered after 112 - TA setup -> b12 into grapple then:
- jumps out on wake up: b12 drops combo.
- jumps out on wake up but staggered b1 can aa into full easy combo
- blocks staggered b1 and then jumps out - almost nothing you can do with that setup
- eats b12: grapple puts us conered whiffing followup pressure and even getting punished
So the only way to get that setup working - is fully respect al the jail pressure what almost never happens in real life.

So what is the point of such setups? What we need is consistency. I've watched lots of gameplays on different tournaments where Cyborg usually wins only doing consistent things like constant projectile wars and keep away game. Because going into setup will almost always result in a few percents damage done.
I see where your coming from, but the point of this thread is to explore Cyborgs pressure and setup game. Of course, while trying to do this, there will be trial and error, as at the moment Cyborg doesn't have setups that covers all the opponents options. That's the point of this thread, to continue to develop tech for such scenarios. Even those you listed, I'm willing to go into practice mode and evaluate the options on each because for each character, you have to know every option.

Also, I have watched nearly all the footage on youtube as far as competitive play on this character (I constantly update the match footage thread also). Cyborg's main gameplan is zoning, as you stated, most players know this. This thread is just merely exploring his setups/pressure game, it's not meant to label Cyborg as a pressure character, just exploring his options.

Furthermore, a lot of competitive Cyborg players haven't implemented these setups into their game yet, it's going to take time. Hell, when I saw this thread I initially blew it off and ended my combos with Powerfist to cash out damage. Now I've started integrating them into my game, and even at my local scene (and I have had success landing these, as well as pressure). The whole point is exploration.

What is my preferd way to play: end any combo into f22 that results in HKD. That allows you free 1 dash in and ambigous crossup follow up into 112 pressure. That is guaranteed.
Corener 113 ender into grapple is also like 90% percent guaranteed pressure. Though opp can rollback and cyborg end up cornered -_-

What I want to say, cyborg design makes you think that its setup machine. But after playing so much I understand, that those tools that he has doesn't allow him to consistently build meter out of his pressure or convert different situations into decent damage or new guaranteed setup (have you ever tried 10/10 end in 112 TA after aa combo? Thats almost impossible). So the most consistent way to play Cyb is actually IAFB and developing keep away game. Cyborg can never be such a setup-pressure machine like Red Hood for example...

..just my thoughts about the way to develop Cyborg..
That's great, and there nothing wrong with ending with f22. For example, Prettyflocko ends with f2 into SD for HKD to continue to zone, and I also use that for specific matchups also. This thread is just to explore his pressure game, for those willing to use it.

Problem with 113 in the corner (the same with 112 and b123) is that it can be techrolled (as mentioned). Most of my training partners at my local scene have already began to tech roll his corner game as well as delay getup on many of his setups. But that's why I'm working on setups for tech roll delay getup as well, which is the point of this thread. Explore his pressure and oki options.

As far exploring his keep away game, I've already made 3 (will be 4 after tonight) different matchup threads on the character, all exploring reversal situations and oki setups for specific matchups. The Cyborg community has put out more content than any other community as far as matchup specifics and okizeme are concerned. Below is an example:

Cyborg vs. Superman
https://testyourmight.com/threads/matchup-discussion-cyborg-vs-superman-living-guide.65057/

Cyborg vs. Dr. Fate
https://testyourmight.com/threads/matchup-discussion-cyborg-vs-dr-fate-living-guide.64698/

Last edited:

Kekoa

Noob
Well said! @Protagonist_1

@Lanqu

Here are some other options if you are interested.

In the corner, if you perform an immediate B12 meaty after 112 TA setup, your opponent can't jump out. If they block you get guaranteed pressure after TA hits (I like going into B123~DF2). If you want to cover wakeup and a jump out, use MBF3. If they block the MBF3 you get a guaranteed Ji2, Ji2 11, Ji2 23, Ji2 B123~DF2, or you get a guaranteed F3, B3, 11, 23, F22, B123, B231. Pretty much almost every one of cyborg's normals or strings without a gap jail after an immediate MBF3.

Midscreen, if you perform an immediate B123 meaty after F2~TA setup and your opponent does not tech roll they can't jump out. B123 still combos with TA allowing plenty of time to land a B3. If they block you get plenty of guaranteed options (too many to list here please watch TA pressure video). You can also MBF3 or F3 and they can't jump out and you get guaranteed jump in pressure just like in the corner.

AND if you make the read that they are going to tech roll and backdash or tech roll and jump out, you can immediately dash cancel TA and punish the backdash or jump out with B12~whatever you want lol.

I also made a video about punishing tech roll wakeups in the corner using TA. You can bait and punish for 40-50 percent on the entire cast.

You could also use behind air drone after 112 instead of TA. I haven't seen that used much. Hopefully this helped!

Lanqu

Noob
@Protagonist_1 @Kekoa thank you guys, I've already watched all that and implemented in my play. Though most of the games consists of occasional drops, because its hella hard to make conversions with Cyborg of what you've not expected.
Playing sups, subs and lots of other chars feels like you can convert out of every single touch.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Hey guys, I haven't watched all the videos in this thread so apologies if this has been worked on, but do people know that most of the background bounce interactables are hard knockdowns that give enough advantage to put out trait or TA and still leave Cyborg at neutral or advantage? It's a longer knockdown than 112 and can't be tech rolled. In particular on the brainiac stage you can fully deploy your trait and still have about 30 frames to move before they get up.I've been working on some set ups and a video but I realized it's going to be a while before I have time to polish it up so I figured I should throw it out to you guys. I'm sure theres some dirty stuff to find.

Besides just pressure I think there's some cross up set ups. Either something gimmicky where you grapple over and "cross up" as trait hits (they can hold down so its not a true mixup, if there's a way to do this with 11~grapple it's really legit) or a hard-to-blockable where you get trait to hit on one side and quickly hit with a cross up j2 on the other side.

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Hey guys, I haven't watched all the videos in this thread so apologies if this has been worked on, but do people know that most of the background bounce interactables are hard knockdowns that give enough advantage to put out trait or TA and still leave Cyborg at neutral or advantage? It's a longer knockdown than 112 and can't be tech rolled. In particular on the brainiac stage you can fully deploy your trait and still have about 30 frames to move before they get up.I've been working on some set ups and a video but I realized it's going to be a while before I have time to polish it up so I figured I should throw it out to you guys. I'm sure theres some dirty stuff to find.

Besides just pressure I think there's some cross up set ups. Either something gimmicky where you grapple over and "cross up" as trait hits (they can hold down so its not a true mixup, if there's a way to do this with 11~grapple it's really legit) or a hard-to-blockable where you get trait to hit on one side and quickly hit with a cross up j2 on the other side.
IT WILL MATER IF IT IS KAMIKAZI OR ROOMBA BECZAUSE I USE DARKSEID AND I SOMETIMES AT FULL SCREEN I WILL CALL IN MY TRAIT NEXT TO ME AND IT WILL SPRINT TOWARDS THEIR FACE AND IN THE MEANTIME I TELE BEHIND THEM AND IF I USE A MID THE CAN BLOCK BOTH OF THEM SO IT WILL MATTER IF THEY ARE CROUCHED OR NOT

Quick question guys...how can I get respect on cancels in this game?? I have literally tried it a million times on ranked, versus, KOTH, doesn't seem to matter. It's like I always get stuffed. Is there a method to doing it that makes the opponent think twice or something? Is there some set play I can practice so I know when to dash out and when to throw the actual move?

I'm getting DEstroyed with these cancels (lol) so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Quick question guys...how can I get respect on cancels in this game?? I have literally tried it a million times on ranked, versus, KOTH, doesn't seem to matter. It's like I always get stuffed. Is there a method to doing it that makes the opponent think twice or something? Is there some set play I can practice so I know when to dash out and when to throw the actual move?

I'm getting DEstroyed with these cancels (lol) so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Stagger b1 into grab works all the Time for me lol then b12 cancel I use this to bait reversal Mashers punish accordingly if they MB b3 f3 I just listen for the sound cue and blow that ish up with 23. Then I start doing naughty things like b123 TA lol. That it's self opens up more mind games lol

Looking at some of this stuff y'all are coming up with I realized I've been playing Cyborg vanilla as hell.

Time to hit the lab...good stuff folks

damn b1 stag into throw is GODLIKE!!!!! lol why are they so scurrrred

is b1 2 3 something I should be able to hit confirm from? It always happens to fast for me that I either whiff my db3·mb or waste it cause the opponent is blocking. What's a better "safe" string that lasts longer in duration? or better yet, what's like 113, but slower? lol

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.

is b1 2 3 something I should be able to hit confirm from? It always happens to fast for me that I either whiff my db3·mb or waste it cause the opponent is blocking. What's a better "safe" string that lasts longer in duration? or better yet, what's like 113, but slower? lol
Yes in the corner b123 is very hit confirm friendly mid screen I hit confirm 11 into bounce cancel lol it's a habit since igau I should be using 12b2 more. And 113.... Sigh... I miss the igau version of this string

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Stagger b1 into grab works all the Time for me lol then b12 cancel I use this to bait reversal Mashers punish accordingly if they MB b3 f3 I just listen for the sound cue and blow that ish up with 23. Then I start doing naughty things like b123 TA lol. That it's self opens up more mind games lol
I never thought of doing that tbh gonna start today

HiddenSelectCounterPick

It's good to cancel 113 into SD or NB on block midscreen I use B123-SD cancel and 113-NB cancel , into 112 -TA if 112 string hits. Then if they block TA jump in with j2 or j3 for guaranteed chip into a combo to try to open them up.

Note that every combo you do if you see that they are gonna block the whole string just cancel and backdash or backdash and grapple away, instead of possibly getting punished.

Last edited:
It's good to cancel 113 into SD or NB on block midscreen I use B123-SD cancel and 113-NB cancel , into 112 -TA if 112 string hits. Then if they block TA jump in with j2 or j3 for guaranteed chip into a combo to try to open them up.

Note that every combo you do if you see that they are gonna block the whole string just cancel and backdash or backdash and grapple away, instead of possibly getting punished.
That's a good idea on block to cancel, dash out, and get the zoning going again.

I also agree with the previous poster that it's going to take some real time to find the crazy pressure setups and traps with a zoning character (look how long it took Fox to figure out Kitana's pressure game in the first MKX patch). It's like trying to find something to do against every grain of sand at a beach lol. Definitely takes time and effort from everyone to figure it all out.

Also, question to anyone who is beastly with Cyborg's zone game. I've been recently finding myself struggling against red hood, super woman, and Doc Fate (lol I know I know -- I should be owning him but he's destroying my IAFB and recovers way too fast for my grapple in on a fireball read). Is there a thread here that specifically covers dirty zoning strats for him? And I'm also hoping that with all these damn + frames and high damaging strings that he doesn't lose to zoners like red hood. If he does, I'll be labbing for months until I figure out some kind of tech cause that sh*** annoying as hell lol. My first ever "Perfect" was against red hood. Unfortunately, the "perfefct" belonged to Red Hoods bit** a** lol

That's a good idea on block to cancel, dash out, and get the zoning going again.

I also agree with the previous poster that it's going to take some real time to find the crazy pressure setups and traps with a zoning character (look how long it took Fox to figure out Kitana's pressure game in the first MKX patch). It's like trying to find something to do against every grain of sand at a beach lol. Definitely takes time and effort from everyone to figure it all out.

Also, question to anyone who is beastly with Cyborg's zone game. I've been recently finding myself struggling against red hood, super woman, and Doc Fate (lol I know I know -- I should be owning him but he's destroying my IAFB and recovers way too fast for my grapple in on a fireball read). Is there a thread here that specifically covers dirty zoning strats for him? And I'm also hoping that with all these damn + frames and high damaging strings that he doesn't lose to zoners like red hood. If he does, I'll be labbing for months until I figure out some kind of tech cause that sh*** annoying as hell lol. My first ever "Perfect" was against red hood. Unfortunately, the "perfefct" belonged to Red Hoods bit** a** lol
Hi @Bl4ckMaj1k ,

I've been making matchup specific threads for Cyborg's current matchups (especially the ones I struggle with). I currently have a Dr. Fate thread, but feel free to check out the others:

Cyborg vs. Dr. Fate
https://testyourmight.com/threads/matchup-discussion-cyborg-vs-dr-fate-living-guide.64698/

Cyborg vs. Superman (mostly near finished):
https://testyourmight.com/threads/matchup-discussion-cyborg-vs-superman-living-guide.65057/

Hi @Bl4ckMaj1k ,

I've been making matchup specific threads for Cyborg's current matchups (especially the ones I struggle with). I currently have a Dr. Fate thread, but feel free to check out the others:

Cyborg vs. Dr. Fate

Cyborg vs. Superman (mostly near finished):
OHH SNAPP!! lol jus what the Dr ordered ;-) (see what I did there -- lolol)

thanks bro!!