What's new

Cyborg Match-up Discussion

Hey guys I'm new to this game and the community but I've been having a great time playing it and I main cyborg. I've been holding my own against majority of the cast however I'm really struggling against a few characters you may not see so often.

Joker
Firestorm
Green arrow
Bane

I don't see these characters as often as the rest of the former top 10 so it's hard to know how to approach these matches. I'm planning on attending vs fighting this weekend where I'll get a chance to play against some really strong competition so hopefully I'll do my best and represent cyborg in the best way.

esc1

95% of TYM discussion: "It's fine"
Who else is tired of the Supergirl and Canary overload after the patch.. I actually played 3 Canary's in a row at one point in ranked.. if you haven't seen the crouching hitbox bug related to mids on her look at this..

Tell you what the most frustrating matchup right now is... Swamp Thing. All these guys want to do it turtle and block the whole game and take their mixups. Oh, and as Dixon just posted... Bane. Did he get projectile immunity on his charge or something. Before the charge got a hit of armor on projectiles.. thats a crazy buff right there. These are the two matchups I have to learn more about right now.

As most of you have said, Darkseid is probably the worst matchup. Hell, even if you knock him down with a NB you are at disadvantage to the laser wakeup after that..

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Crossplay Username: ProbablyMinus
Who else is tired of the Supergirl and Canary overload after the patch.. I actually played 3 Canary's in a row at one point in ranked.. if you haven't seen the crouching hitbox bug related to mids on her look at this..

Tell you what the most frustrating matchup right now is... Swamp Thing. All these guys want to do it turtle and block the whole game and take their mixups. Oh, and as Dixon just posted... Bane. Did he get projectile immunity on his charge or something. Before the charge got a hit of armor on projectiles.. thats a crazy buff right there. These are the two matchups I have to learn more about right now.

As most of you have said, Darkseid is probably the worst matchup. Hell, even if you knock him down with a NB you are at disadvantage to the laser wakeup after that..
Yes that hitbox also happens on flash for some reason. I've seen too many girl characters and flash recently. also SWAMP THING IS A PROBLEM FOR CYBORG.This is due to his range on all of his normal and that puddle crouch into poke.

Cyborg cant really counterpoke/counter him un less you zone him out but he has full screen special moves. It's a tough match up deff, he also has 50/50s they downplayed him for sure but that's a match up to looks into more. My one friend uses ST and gives me a big problem he stays at his max range hitbox and slaps me around and if your full screen he uses the vine grab.

I find against Darkseid IAFB is a game changer for this match up, it really stops him from throwing out projectiles freely. Cyborg will always recover fast enough and catch Darkseid if you get the height correctly.

I find it helpful to walk back against his air teleport if he just does it without cover. When he lands whatever button they press should whiff then you'll be in close enough range to approach.

Supergirl gives me aids! There are so many now

Played my training partners with star fire for a few games. Definitely going to need to evaluate Cyborg's options vs. her zoning, might be a tough matchup down the road (considering they only used her for like a day with no bnbs and were giving me problems).

Overall:
-f*ck that high laser move
-double f*ck the MB version of that laser move
-triple f*ck that 4 of july special that she has also
-her orb is probably going to be zoning more difficult to go against. Not sure how far it goes, but ugh
-The jump in attack that can be a cross up/non cross up is going to be dirty going forward

#Postsalt

Had a lot of fun though, she looks fun to use

Last edited:

HiddenSelectCounterPick

Played my training partners with star fire for a few games. Definitely going to need to evaluate Cyborg's options vs. her zoning, might be a tough matchup down the road (considering they only used her for like a day with no bnbs and were giving me problems).

Overall:
-f*ck that high laser move
-double f*ck the MB version of that laser move
-triple f*ck that 4 of july special that she has also
-her orb is probably going to be zoning more difficult to go against. Not sure how far it goes, but ugh
-The jump in attack that can be a cross up/non cross up is going to be dirty going forward

#Postsalt

Had a lot of fun though, she looks fun to use
They say her midscreen is not that good but I mean all she needs to do is land one bnb and zone the rest of the round she gets around 43% meterless similar to BA and her zoning is strong........

HiddenSelectCounterPick

how to deal with CW J2?
[db1]up nova blast

on read jump and straight nova blast [bf1]

mb b3 or f3
on read / mb b3 or f3 on read and cancel so she hits your armor and punish because she is in recover fs
punish with 113 or b123 after bounce cancel

quit the match when she jumps

HiddenSelectCounterPick

how to deal with CW J2?
[db1]up nova blast

on read jump and straight nova blast [bf1]

mb b3 or f3
on read / mb b3 or f3 on read and cancel so she hits your armor and punish because she is in recover fs
punish with 113 or b123 after bounce cancel

quit the match when she jumps

how to deal with CW J2?
I have some of my gameplay playing cat woman in the matchup discussion thread. I'll see if I can post it here.

Generally j2 reaches about 2 Cyborg backdashes away, and with a dash in into jump can reach as far as range 3. The goal is to keep cat woman at range 3-6, and check with ground NB. Once you condition them to jump, then you can use diagonal NB. You also want to occasionally mix it up by cancelling NB into a forward dash (to dash under the jump in and punish) and air NB as well (air diagonal NB is usually beat by j2 that's why regular air NB is better).

Edit:

Can I challenge with J1?
You can only challenge with j1 within range 1 if I remember correctly (so about 1 Cyborg backdash away). j1 has a small hitbox compared to cat woman's j2 so at any further range, it's beaten clean most of the time from personal experience despite having faster startup j1's are generally faster than j2's haven't checked the frame data yet for this matchup).

4x4lo8o

Noob
@Protagonist_1 I take back the stuff I said about Deadshot being 5-5. It's clearly not even. Offline I still think it's a managable matchup, you just have to work harder than he does. Online though, it's just not even worth playing. It's way too hard to even move, against even moderately good Deadshots it can be almost impossible to stay in the ranges where you can threaten and to keep up with all the damage he gets from chip and clipping you with random gunshots

4x4lo8o

Noob
Hey guys I'm new to this game and the community but I've been having a great time playing it and I main cyborg. I've been holding my own against majority of the cast however I'm really struggling against a few characters you may not see so often.

Joker
Firestorm
Green arrow
Bane

I don't see these characters as often as the rest of the former top 10 so it's hard to know how to approach these matches. I'm planning on attending vs fighting this weekend where I'll get a chance to play against some really strong competition so hopefully I'll do my best and represent cyborg in the best way.
Bane - Bane can't do much if you zone him out, I'm pretty sure Cyborg wins this mu. Iafb are really good. From most of the screen iafb is safe. If he tries to charge on reaction you can land and block, or land and mb b3. From some ranges(and only if he's not at level 3 and projectile immune) you can fire a second fireball and knock him out of his armor. End all your combos in sonic disrupter to put him full screen and then put up ground trait and pester him with target acquired and various fireballs. If he gets up close make liberal use of mb b3, grapple, and push block - making sure he doesn't get momentum is extremely important. Once he knocks you over he can do a ton of damage, Cyborg doesn't have great wake up options. I recommend using delayed wake up a lot.
Also make sure you understand how his venom works. If he's on debuff he takes extra damage and can't use armor - that might be a good chance to go in or get trait/TA going. If he's on level 3 I recommend just staying away as far as possible until it runs out - don't even try to zone much, just run. On level 3 he's projectile immune(I think this only affects Nova Blast - it definitely doesn't count trait as a projectile) so be careful with your fireballs.

For Firestorm you want to play the mu at mid range. At midrange you can threaten him with down fireball and iafb(at fullscreen iafb won't help you). You win projectile trades and he doesn't have a good way to chip you out. Don't let him put in the corner and try not to be fullscreen either. If he puts you in the corner just pushblock and get out of there asap. Or MB roll or grapple away before you get into the corner. Position control is the most important thing in this match up. Just force him to play a patient, midscreen zoning game and you should win

I don't know much about Joker or Green Arrow. GA seems hard, or at least annoying and I know almost nothing about the Joker match up.

Yes that hitbox also happens on flash for some reason. I've seen too many girl characters and flash recently. also SWAMP THING IS A PROBLEM FOR CYBORG.This is due to his range on all of his normal and that puddle crouch into poke.

Cyborg cant really counterpoke/counter him un less you zone him out but he has full screen special moves. It's a tough match up deff, he also has 50/50s they downplayed him for sure but that's a match up to looks into more. My one friend uses ST and gives me a big problem he stays at his max range hitbox and slaps me around and if your full screen he uses the vine grab.
I think Cyborg definitely beats Swamp Thing. Just stay full screen - he doesn't have good tools at that range. He can't do his clone grab on reaction to iafb - you can crouch and then you get another fireball. There's no reason to get hit by his vines at that range either. Then only hit high and if you're grounded and you should always be crouching or in the air anyway so they're not a threat or something you need to think about. Up close he's not really threatening either - I'm not sure what 50/50's you're talking about. He has some strings with lows and overheads and a low special but he doesn't have any strong mixups once you know to look for all those. You should go check out his strings in training mode and practice blocking them a few times - it'll probably help you out a lot. He doesn't really have frames traps or fast normals to use up close so I think Cyborg does well there. If you get stuck in his garden mb b3 and grapple are both strong options. At midrange he's got some crazy moves with great range and good hitboxes, so the main thing I usually do in that match up is focus on being either in his face or full screen away. His movement isn't good so try to make sure you're always forcing him to move if he wants to do anything