What's new

Cyborg’s corner game is better than you think. 112 DD3 MBF3.

Does this make Cyborg better than bottom 10 though?

• Of course not

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

xMEECH

Dyslexic

Obviously the opponent can’t wakeup with specials cuz MBF3. They also can’t wakeup with a majority of interactables, even when meter burned. If they delay wakeup they can’t whiff punish before DD3 hits. If they block, he’s over +30 and can easily jail a second F3 or a delayed B231, both of which are plus on block, and he can check you without losing his turn if you respected the check. If they blocked and immediately pushblocked, they get launched for a full combo by DD3. If they waited and blocked MBF3 AND DD3, you can prevent them from pushblocking without giving up your turn. Oh, and conditioning them to block the MBF3 in the first place makes them susceptible to option 2, which I’ll get to below

The video is titled option 1 because option 2 is his plus on block low launcher, B231, which has its own unique benefits (and drawbacks). It doesn’t have armor, but has many active frames so will still stuff partially invincible wakeups, and will even armor break some meter burned interactables. If they blocked B231, it jails into DD3 and instead of being +30 he’s only around +25, as his 28 frame F3 will consistently and easily beat an 8 frame reversal. A delayed B231 will also beat an 8 frame reversal. He can jail his plus on block F22 string if they’re trying to mash bullshit invincible unblockable launcher interactables to get out. On hit B231 can convert into 300/400/500+ damage into another setup depending on what you wanna do.

Option 3 is to grapple forward after DD3. Grapple is free meterless armor, and depending on the timing of when you grappled, not only can DD3 itself crossup (even though it’s a mid, it will actually cross up and launch them if they blocked the wrong way (they won’t block low since all your jump normals after grapple hit overhead)), but your jump normals can also crossup after the grapple and land in front or behind the opponent.

With these 3 options you cover pretty much anything the opponent could try on wakeup. MBF3 covers the most options, so it’s what I go with most of the time, but if I don’t want to spend the meter, B231 and forward grapple are still great options on their own. B231 is especially good once they’re conditioned to block high in anticipation of MBF3.

Best way out (and the only way to avoid being launched or having cyborg be +30) is to max length delay wakeup (until MBF3 whiffs, which he can prevent by slightly delaying it) and use a meter burn interactable. Gadget characters can delay wakeup passed (a non-delayed) MBF3 then meter burn the unblockable launcher interactable to get out, but Cyborg recovers in time to MBB3 or grapple away on reaction. Since Cyborg recovers by the time DD3 hits, it’s really easy for him to break armor, so many interactables won’t work even when meter burned after a max length delayed wakeup.

So the best way to get out depends on luck, whether or not you’re in a corner with an interactable to get out. Even then, you can’t punish Cyborg. By the time you get up from the delayed wakeup, he can press buttons again, including an armored grapple or armored MBF3.

Last edited:

xMEECH

Dyslexic
Oh and I’ll be posting parts 2 and 3 sometime soon. They’ll be shorter since MBF3 covers the most options

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Awesome!
Question: how about Darkseid's quick, double-hitting wake-up MB knee? So like Cyborg ends in 112, Darkseid then tech rolls and does wake-up MB knee?

xMEECH

Dyslexic
Awesome!
Question: how about Darkseid's quick, double-hitting wake-up MB knee? So like Cyborg ends in 112, Darkseid then tech rolls and does wake-up MB knee?
Tech rolling off 112 actually increases the hit advantage, so if he wanted to have the best chance at breaking the armor on MBF3 he wouldn’t want to tech roll. But I’ll test in a minute.
For what it’s worth I tested aquamans trident rush wakeup, and it still isn’t fast enough to stop the MBF3.

xMEECH

Dyslexic
Tech roll should get him out of there.I think most characters can interrupt the f3 with a tech roll.
112 is one of 3 types of knockdowns in NRS games. Non-knockdowns (you can tech roll as soon as you touch the ground), lesser hard knockdowns (where you can tech roll, but only after a set amount of time spent on the ground, and tech rolling makes you stay on the ground even longer), and true hard knockdowns (can’t tech roll at all). 112 is a “lesser hard knockdown”. If you tech roll, you only stay on the ground longer. Watch the video in the original post, watch 0:25-0:40, when I’m showing how the other knockdowns don’t have enough hit advantage for the setup. The first knockdown I try is df2, which is a true hard knockdown. They can’t tech roll at all. But it doesn’t have enough hit advantage to recover from DD3 before the opponent can wakeup. The second knockdown was a non-knockdown, B123. They tech rolled as soon as they touched the ground and could wakeup before I could recover from DD3. The third was 112, a lesser hard knockdown with more hit advantage than df2. Having more hit advantage is more important than being a lesser or true hard knockdown. In the video they tech rolled after 112, but youll see how they didn’t tech roll as soon as they touched the ground, they were stunned on the ground for a bit before they could tech roll.

Tech rolling by itself doesn’t interrupt a F3 (or any move) by the way. You’d have to tech roll and then wakeup with something. A MBF3 has 1 hit of armor so you’d have to wakeup with something that hits twice before the MBF3 touches you in order to interrupt it. And in order to hit it twice before it touches you, you’ll want to start swinging as soon as possible, so from a lesser hard knockdown, you won’t want to tech roll, as tech rolling from a lesser hard knockdown (like 112) gives you less time to start swinging before the MBF3 touches you.

4x4lo8o

Noob
112 is one of 3 types of knockdowns in NRS games. Non-knockdowns (you can tech roll as soon as you touch the ground), lesser hard knockdowns (where you can tech roll, but only after a set amount of time spent on the ground, and tech rolling makes you stay on the ground even longer), and true hard knockdowns (can’t tech roll at all). 112 is a “lesser hard knockdown”. If you tech roll, you only stay on the ground longer. Watch the video in the original post, watch 0:25-0:40, when I’m showing how the other knockdowns don’t have enough hit advantage for the setup. The first knockdown I try is df2, which is a true hard knockdown. They can’t tech roll at all. But it doesn’t have enough hit advantage to recover from DD3 before the opponent can wakeup. The second knockdown was a non-knockdown, B123. They tech rolled as soon as they touched the ground and could wakeup before I could recover from DD3. The third was 112, a lesser hard knockdown with more hit advantage than df2. Having more hit advantage is more important than being a lesser or true hard knockdown. In the video they tech rolled after 112, but youll see how they didn’t tech roll as soon as they touched the ground, they were stunned on the ground for a bit before they could tech roll.

Tech rolling by itself doesn’t interrupt a F3 (or any move) by the way. You’d have to tech roll and then wakeup with something. A MBF3 has 1 hit of armor so you’d have to wakeup with something that hits twice before the MBF3 touches you in order to interrupt it. And in order to hit it twice before it touches you, you’ll want to start swinging as soon as possible, so from a lesser hard knockdown, you won’t want to tech roll, as tech rolling from a lesser hard knockdown (like 112) gives you less time to start swinging before the MBF3 touches you.
I'm getting different results in practice mode right now. I'll put up a video when I can, could be an execution error on my part but I think you can consistently get out

xMEECH

Dyslexic
I'm getting different results in practice mode right now. I'll put up a video when I can, could be an execution error on my part but I think you can consistently get out
If this is with darkseid in particular, it shouldn’t matter because you should never play Cyborg against Darkseid. That’s like 7-3 Darkseid. I have a pocket aquaman for darkseid. But yeah you could be doing the MBF3 too early and hitting darkseid during the invincibility of his wakeup, which you prevent by delaying the MBF3 slightly.