What's new

Tech Cyblax anti reverse wakeup corner teleport

NariTuba

disMember
Here's some stuff Ive been working on with Cyblax:

When you have someone in the corner and you get a saw knockdown, you jump over them as if you were doing a crossover jip but instead you do a teleport. You must reverse the teleport input if you timed the jump correctly.

What this does is make you invincible just as the wakeup attack comes out, allowing you to whiff punish with full combo.

If they dont wakeup attack, they can put you in a blockstring and youd have to block.

So what this all actually means is that everytime you get a saw knockdown in the corner you put them in a 50/50. You crossover, and if they try a reverse input wakeup and you do the teleport, they get blown up; and if they do nothing you get a jip command grab mixup.

This technique also works very well against charcters trying to do a forward moving wakeup attack in order to escape the corner.

*Tech roll is on in the video to show it doesnt make a difference, but it works either way.

*This works on any knockdown as long as you have the time to time the jump properly.

*If you were able to get an untechable knockdown midscreen this would work as well.

*The video was done with the AI but I also tested with a human.

*This needs further testing for other followups.

All wakeups will be blown up if they are performed in reverse and you teleport behind them while they are doing their wakeup attack facing the corner. Sometimes they will reverse the input but the wakeup attack will autocorrect to face you after teleporting. This was all taken into account while testing.

The following is a list of how this tech works against the full cast. If its listed as "works" it means all their punishable options can be punished with full combo unless otherwise noted.
Scorpion = doesnt work (Extele beats it)

Liu Kang = works

Kung Lao = doesnt work (spin beats it)

Sub Zero = works

Sindel = works (a fast levi cancel might give her advantage)

Ermac = works

Reptile = works (slide and acid hand get blown up, invisibility gets him stuck in a blockstring)

Kitana = doesnt work (ass escapes, not needed anyway)

Cage = works (teleport must be done fast, just as you cross over, so that flip kick doesnt hit you out of the startup;
if you do a net as soon as you reapear you will catch him grounded on the other side, before he can block)

Jade = doesnt work (you cant punish her for the flash kick and glow gives her advantage)

Mileena = works (the teleport must be done fast, just as you cross over so that Exroll doesnt hit you out of the startup.
You can react in time to block Exroll and Extele. Regular roll, tele and neckbite get blown up)

Nightwolf = works (delay the teleport to be able to whiff punish shoulder)

Cyrax = doesnt work (he cant beat you out of the setup but you gain nothing and he can escape the corner)

Noob = works (make the teleport fast to avoid upshadow, he gets stuck in a blockstring. Everything else gets full combo punished)

Smoke = works (delay the teleport to that smoke away autocorrects and you keep him in the corner - needs further testing)

Sektor = works

Sonya = works

Jax = works (teleport fast to avoid gotchas. Dash punch will not get him out of the corner plus he'll take a blockstring. Elbow
and Air gotcha get full combo punished)

Kano = works (cant punish all of his wakeups but he cant get away from the corner and has to take a blockstring)

Stryker = works

Shang Tsung = works (if for some reason he does ExGs you can react to it by crossing over jip after teleporting)

Baraka = works (teleport fast to void blade spin, react to blade spin with d4 after teleport)

Raiden = doesnt work (teleport escapes)

Cyber Sub Zero = works (teleport fast to avoid explosion from Extele. You must delay your jab a bit after teleporting in order to
punish him for doing the parry)

Quanchi = works

Sheeva = doesnt work (you have time to avoid all her wakeups but you gain nothing)

Skarlet = works (lets you keep the corner if she wakesup with dash but you must block the slide. Up and downslashes can be blocked and punished after teleporting. Her tele gets absorbed and full combo punished)

Rain = works (Exgeyser kick and Extele can both be punished grounded with jabs into net, but timing (especially for Extele) is tricky.
The alternative is to net him in the air before he touches the ground. You must keep your eyes open to react to Exlightning which you must block after teleporting. Squirt and Exsquirt get absorbed. Regular lightning is a full combo punish.)

Kenshi = works (you must teleport at the highest point to avoid and punish all his options)

Freddy = works (delay the teleport to be able to punish his teleports. Nightmare stance options must be tested further but at worst
you must block them)

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Nice find man! J360 and myself were doing some similar things with this in the last few days. its definetly viable tech.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
so is this 50/50 unbeatable or what? x3x stawp findin moar tech for cyrax....he's already broken enuff

NariTuba

disMember
Nice find man! J360 and myself were doing some similar things with this in the last few days. its definetly viable tech.
Thanks man. Yeah I guess we've all been thinking of ways to use that invincibility for a while now, its all about finding a reliable setup for it. This all came about while working specifically on the Sonya matchup to try to blowup that damned Ex cartwheel.

so is this 50/50 unbeatable or what? x3x stawp findin moar tech for cyrax....he's already broken enuff

Sonya, Kabal and Kenshi cannot avoid the 50/50. Kung Lao can. Ill try to make a list for the whole cast.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Thanks man. Yeah I guess we've all been thinking of ways to use that invincibility for a while now, its all about finding a reliable setup for it. This all came about while working specifically on the Sonya matchup to try to blowup that damned Ex cartwheel.

Sonya, Kabal and Kenshi cannot avoid the 50/50. Kung Lao can. Ill try to make a list for the whole cast.
so what exactly are they supposed to do? jump as soon as they see u teleporting or what?

NariTuba

disMember
so what exactly are they supposed to do? jump as soon as they see u teleporting or what?
Its a 50/50, they have to guess whether youll teleport or jip. If they guess wrong they either get full combo punished for the wakeup of they have to take a command grab/jabs mixup. If they guess you will teleport they get you in a blockstring (tho you keep positional advantage) or if they guess you will go for the jip they can do they reverse wakeup and hit you with it.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Air Teleport has a considerably larger window to punish then then ground teleport

we tested it at one point

NariTuba

disMember
forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Air Teleport has a considerably larger window to punish then then ground teleport

we tested it at one point
The only thing I heard from Somberness regarding the difference between air tele and tele was in response to my question in the frame data page regarding startup. He clarified startup was always the same for both. He also never indicated any difference was present in recovery frames or invincibility frames when he released the frame data.

Im not sure what you mean by window to punish, since you cannot really punish Cyblax teleport at all. Technically there is a 2 frame window to punish it, but that's not happening. (24 frames of recovery, 22 frames of invincibility).

Regardless of all this, I tried to have Sonya 11 or 21 me after teleporting and was always able to block it. And that's delaying the strings to be in active frames just as the invincibility wears off (which is how you deal with Cyblax teleport by the way). If she misstimes the blockstring she gets blown up.

The fact that she has to delay the string (or d4, or whatever), is one of the reasons why the mixup works... if she's standing there waiting to react to the teleport she's eating the crossover jip. The other reason for this to work is the reverse input air teleport which triggers wakeup autocorrects in the direction with the most favorable outcome to you.

If you find a thread regarding the air teleport being more punishable or you guys test it out let me know. Funky how poorly understood this character is even today.

NariTuba

disMember
I do this sometimes with robo Cyrax, but it's not as safe, of course.
Yeah it actually works with robo because if they get their wakeup facing the wall you are now behind them blowing them up. The problem is those nasty autocorrect wakeups that will still come out in your direction even tho they reversed the input.

The cool thing about this for Cyblax is not only the anti reverse wakeup but also the fact that it serves as an anti escape tool. Characters like freddy, smoke, kabal, nightwolf, etc; who will try to use their forward lunging moves to try to escape the corner get blown up as you reappear in front of them blocking their way, with their back still to the wall, and in most cases full combo punished.