What's new

Video/Tutorial - Cyber Sub-Zero Cyber Sub Zero's Prime Strings

I made the effort of showing as best as possible how the ice ball's new start up frames destroyed his best strings. This is the main reason I wish for them to fix his Ice Ball start up frames to how they were. His 50/50's were his B1 overhead into the ice ball, his F13 into the ice ball, and the B3 ice ball. As you can see here, it works against EVERYONE in the corner, but mid screen...

B1, Ice Ball - Only works on Goro
F13, Ice Ball - Only works on Goro and Ferra/Torr
B3, Ice Ball - Only works on MALE characters.

The weird thing is that the B3 Ice Ball string SOMETIMES works on Takeda. It works better when you jump in with a punch, then do a B3 into the Ice Ball. Take a look:

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Good thread, I'm curious about these options myself. Would you mind testing a few more things and updating the OP?

• Jip, b3 xx ice ball vs. Close range b3 xx ice ball. The former won't combo, but the latter will, despite similar range b3. You mentioned this works on Takeda intermittently, which is interesting.
  • B1 vs. crouching opponents. B1 will combo vs opponents blocking low. I don't know the range, or if it's male/ female/ big body specific.
As far as Goro and F/T are concerned, some people have found Kotal, Ermac and Predator share their hurtbox, or at least certain aspects of it (height?).

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
I made the effort of showing as best as possible how the ice ball's new start up frames destroyed his best strings. This is the main reason I wish for them to fix his Ice Ball start up frames to how they were. His 50/50's were his B1 overhead into the ice ball, his F13 into the ice ball, and the B3 ice ball. As you can see here, it works against EVERYONE in the corner, but mid screen...

B1, Ice Ball - Only works on Goro
F13, Ice Ball - Only works on Goro and Ferra/Torr
B3, Ice Ball - Only works on MALE characters.

The weird thing is that the B3 Ice Ball string SOMETIMES works on Takeda. It works better when you jump in with a punch, then do a B3 into the Ice Ball. Take a look:

do you have them on auto block?

Good thread, I'm curious about these options myself. Would you mind testing a few more things and updating the OP?

• Jip, b3 xx ice ball vs. Close range b3 xx ice ball. The former won't combo, but the latter will, despite similar range b3. You mentioned this works on Takeda intermittently, which is interesting.
  • B1 vs. crouching opponents. B1 will combo vs opponents blocking low. I don't know the range, or if it's male/ female/ big body specific.
As far as Goro and F/T are concerned, some people have found Kotal, Ermac and Predator share their hurtbox, or at least certain aspects of it (height?).
Look at 3:07. It's a bit weird.
You mean B1 Ice ball vs a crouching opponent?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm not sure if it connects in a combo, but please share what you find. I'll still be doing some CSZ dissecting myself.
Yeah I tested on Mileena. It combos vs anyone crouching. Not sure why... adds extra hit stun vs crouching or opponent stumbles back less if the later active frames of b1 hit.

It's almost like they wanted to make it a super intentional OH conversion... Or, more than likely, overlooked this.
I'm not sure if this is enough to get this to fix the CSZ issue, but I think it's something that should be looked at at least. This game has some serious problems and instead of fixing them, they're unintenionally making it worse. At least I hope its unintentional. Hitboxes need to be looked at as well. Maybe I'll make a video on that

lm Tweakk

#BuffAntiAirs
Honestly if they just make f13 connect into iceball meterless it would fix the character imo , I'm okay with them making his 50 / 50's less powerful because 50 / 50's are fucking plentiful enough as it is.

Is anyone using F4 into iceball to whiff punish?
I'm tempted to make a full Cyber Sub Zero patch 1.13 guide video so we can see what connects and what doesn't. I found that his standing 4 into iceball connects against certain characters. I don't know about F4 though. I still have a lot to find out, lol.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
F4 xx Ice Ball still works. I use it for stuffing pokes after + strings, but it can whiff punish just as well.

I'm not sure if this is enough to get this to fix the CSZ issue, but I think it's something that should be looked at at least. This game has some serious problems and instead of fixing them, they're unintenionally making it worse. At least I hope its unintentional. Hitboxes need to be looked at as well. Maybe I'll make a video on that
Might be intentional, thinking the focus is more on Injustice 2 at this point

...get people to stray towards that

Revenger7x

Learning from this! PSN: SNAK3_SCYTH3
Yea i've had that happen a few times. I like to NJP after 1112 if they dont know the gap. If they know the gap I try to 111D3 NJP. If they armor the gap then 111BlkF4xxIce pew