What's new

Custom Variation Moves Discussion (Scorpion)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Been waiting for customs to be allowed for competitive play since the beta. Glad NRS finally woke up and came to their senses. Took them long enough to see the light that I and many others have been advocating for, but better late than never!

Anyway, one of the biggest reasons I wanted customs is because I feel like Demon Dash is such a good and fun move. It whiff punishes so well. It’s just a good well rounded move, honestly surprised it hasn’t been in any of the tournament variations yet.

What variation moves or combinations are y’all looking forward to?

Only Demon Dash. If I remember correctly it's a 9f special with good damage as a combo ender and might punish shit that b2 does not. Everything else sucks donkey balls so I'll just play teleport cancel and demon dash.

If they somehow get to fix the whiffing issues on Misery Blade and make the overhead come out as fast as the low, I might look into it. Otherwise I still think teleport cancel is the only usable 2 point special Scorpion has.

not even interested anymore. they about to make demon dash like 12f. they robbed us of misery blade and mid tele. :DOGE

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I'm almost certain they will not let this rock.
Why is that? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the move. You don’t nerf moves just because they’re good. You nerf moves if they’re insanely broke, dominate the meta, etc. This move hasn’t even been tested out competitively. And besides that, there’s absolutely no reason it should be touched.

I mean wtf doesn't Raiden have a 6f punisher as well in v2? It's just a couple points of damage leading to a knockdown. It's like saying Scorpion's b2 is broken because it punishes shit that most other characters can't punish.

Zviko

Noob
Difference with Raiden's is Raiden has to put the charge on first and then block 2 or 3 attacks to activate that punish. And if he uses it he loses his launcher and has to do it again.

Yeah I don't believe they will keep this 7f. I hope I'm wrong though.

Why is that? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the move. You don’t nerf moves just because they’re good. You nerf moves if they’re insanely broke, dominate the meta, etc. This move hasn’t even been tested out competitively. And besides that, there’s absolutely no reason it should be touched.
Across the board -7 is what is considered "safe" in this game. They're not gonna let one character suddenly get free 10% / 15% (i.e not a d1) punishes on frames several characters are left at expecting to be safe. We already know they're nerfing moves that are good, and one of them on the list is Erron's low gun which is a lot less crazy than this one. I wouldn't get my hopes up that this sees the light of day.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
If they start kneejerk nerfing all the variation moves that aren’t in tournament variations, the entire concept of custom variations is going to be pointless.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Across the board -7 is what is considered "safe" in this game. They're not gonna let one character suddenly get free 10% / 15% (i.e not a d1) punishes on frames several characters are left at expecting to be safe. We already know they're nerfing moves that are good, and one of them on the list is Erron's low gun which is a lot less crazy than this one. I wouldn't get my hopes up that this sees the light of day.
A 7f startup move can’t punish a -7 on block move. A 7f move can punish a -8, but not a -7. A -7 move can only be punished by a 6f move.

there's no point. this is nrs we're talking about. mid teleport nerf was a knee jerk reaction because it was a response to all the complaining about literal month 1 wifi scorpions while there were at the time and in the future more egregious fuck neutral moves. scorpion can't have anything.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
7f startup on reversal special is 6f. It will punish -7 on block. It's punishing -7 on block moves in the very video you posted.
Oh yeah you’re right, I was thinking about normals for some reason. My B

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I don't care how useful it is, I'm just glad Hell Breath is back in
^This. I've never cared to play Scorpion due to there not being a hellfire variation. Breath + Projectile + Dash was definitely what I was expecting to be combined for V3 originally, but now it's going to be a reality. May actually pick him up now. I will very likely be doing Demon Breath, Demon Dash, and Burning Spear. Let's gooooooooo

But Raiden has been able to punish -7 since the game launched.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
He can actually punish lots of stuff that Raijin can’t because of the pushback some strings create. I think if they make it like 1-2f slower on startup then it’d still be good to punish stuff that’s -8/9?

The hoops Raiden has to jump through to set that shit up should be more proof that Scorpion isn't gonna get it for free
All he has to do is apply his buff, which is very easy, and block 3 attacks which is going to happen anyway in order to punish any of this fast stuff. Successful use of the discharge lets him reapply the buff again for free.
I think we're overblowing the setup required for Quick Charge here.

I would love to see hellport cancel with misery blade but both are two slots. You would get safety everywhere.

IIRC, the Kombat Kast states that they fix the whiffing issue on characters that can duck mids. Hopefully this means I can cancel into MB3 and expect Liu Kang and some other to respect it.