What's new

Strategy - Cyber Sub-Zero CSZ Living Set-Up Guide

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
This thread's aim is to take an in-depth look at Cyber Sub-Zero's corner set-ups. I'll post a video first, and then follow with a break down. If you can't keep your opponent from jumping out, waking up, poking, etc., please read on. This is not a be all end all, there are many more options to be explored. Let's talk about them here to complete the thread and further the Fridge's meta.

To be completely transparent, all of these set-ups are beatable by most armored wake-ups (but that's a different discussion). The key is to mix these in with blocking, baiting and pressure while getting a feel for your opponents preferred method of escape, then proceed smartly for the remainder of your matches, adapting.

A word about HKD vs Splat; tech rolling a splat causes the opponent to suffer from more disadvantage than if they were to wake-up normally. However, many players tend to botch the timing on a wake-up action and end up triggering a tech roll anyway. This means CSZ may occasionally have extra time to perform set-up actions. Don't rely on it, just be aware that there is some execution, or rather restraint, involved.

A word about Wake Up Attacks; there are actually multiple windows in which an opponent may input a wake-up command, some earlier and some later. This changes the timing of wake-up attacks slightly, and will be discussed later. This window comes very close to overlapping with the "tech roll" window, mentioned earlier. Point being opponents attempting wake-up actions may trigger a tech roll instead, giving an extra advantage to CSZ.

Combo Used - F13 xx Ice Ball, DS, B3U4 xx FDK, F43 xx CDK, NJP, F2 ~ bomb - 24%

These examples will refer to practice mode resets as "revolutions." Be sure to watch the inputs from the player 2 side and I (the human player) will be exploring defensive options vs. a recorded set-up. This is to keep timing consistent.

B3D4

Revolution 1: Wake-up Slide (9f) beats b3 if performed as early as possible.
Revolution 2: Wake-up Slide is stuffed by b3 when performed too late, all though still registering as a "wake -up" shown in the bottom right. Follow up combo included to show the severity of opponents mistake.
Revolution 3: Neutral jump is caught by b3, but not frozen by bomb. Note that these instances can be character specific.
Revolution 4: Forward jump is caught by b3 AND frozen by bomb allowing for a follow-up combo.
Revolution 5: Backward jump, same result as above.

Notes: B3D4 is best used when you predict your opponent will use delayed wake-ups. It's also effective against opponent with slower/ no wake-up options. Pair with MB Cryo Bomb to assure you catch opponents jumping out. This set-up is technically puishable if blocked.

F43

Revolution 1: F43 stuffs 9f Slide wake-up. Follow up combo included to show the severity of opponents mistake.
Revolution 2: F43 stuffs the neutral jump before it even gets off the ground, freezing the opponent.
Revolution 3: Forward jump, same result as above.
Revolution 4: Backward jump, same result as above.

Notes: F43 xx CDK best used on opponents waking up normally, and is extremely hard to block. But delayed wake-up beats this set-up clean. F43 does whiff on some blocking opponents, but it seems distance based... Pretty annoying. Opponents attempting to neutral duck F43 will not get out before bomb detonates, giving CSZ slight frame advantage. Hit/ block confirm this string so you know to use dive kick or not. You could also auto pilot MB Dive Kick to combo into bomb regardless.

F13 xx DS

Revolution 1: WU slide beats F13 (via low profile, not speed).
Revolution 2: F13 beats neutral jump before it can get off the ground, comboing into bomb.
Revolution 3: F13 catches jump out, comboing into bomb.
Revolution 4: B-jump, same result as above.
Revolution 5: Opponent is able to d1, low profiling the set-up.

Notes: F13 xx DS is a fast, easy set-up to keep the opponent guessing. F13 WILL ONLY COMBO WHEN SPECIAL CANCELLED (dud bomb, drone summon, etc). If blocked, opponent is at slight advantage. Easily interchangeable with F1... Tic Throw.

21... Tic Throw

Revolution 1: Slide beats 21 (low profile).
Revolution 2, 3 and 4: 21 stuffs neutral, forward and backward jump.

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
For your first video at :34 why did it not freeze, but it did on the later 2 tries?
Something about the neutral jump vs. the Forward/ Backward jumps. These situations are character specific as the exact opposite happens when vs human Sub-Zero (frozen when neutral jumping, but not frozen jumping forward or back).

Something about the neutral jump vs. the Forward/ Backward jumps. These situations are character specific as the exact opposite happens when vs human Sub-Zero (frozen when neutral jumping, but not frozen jumping forward or back).
So would you say 21 tic might be the safest option if your not going for the htb? Since I think 21 is +2 even in block right?

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
So would you say 21 tic might be the safest option if your not going for the htb? Since I think 21 is +2 even in block right?
It is indeed +2, it stops them from jumping or waking up for the most part. Similarly to F13 xx DS, it's beaten by low profile options.

EDIT: It totally works on hit too, my bad.

Last edited:
It is indeed +2, it stops them from jumping or waking up for the most part. Similarly to F13 xx DS, it's beaten by low profile options.

EDIT: It totally works on hit too, my bad.
Actually relooking at the videos, F43 seems like the best option since you can hit confirm the dive kick and the f4 is atleast some type of mid (of course not the fastest).

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
I would like someone to tell me if this setup is more plus because i think it might be.

But my go to setup is starter iceball, ds, b3u4 close divekick instant njp and then deep njp into icebomb.

Your options here are b3d4 but can be jumped out

21 tick works and can break some armors

B1 24 for that 50/50 semi htb

214 (or 3?) works but only on block. On hit you still get a knockdown and free damage so thats still good

F43 divekick on block works but on hit you dont get a combo, this however comes with a option select of using ex divekick so it will go into the normal bomb an still get that frosty combo but uses a bar of your recourses.

And then there is grab/ s1 grab which works pretty well.

You can also use 1112 and the bomb will make it gapless so you get free pressure, meterbuild, and plus 2 aftwrwards so ay lmao

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
F13 is also good for people trying to meterless wake up and now that it has more hit advantage you don't need to do the weird F13xDrone Summon to get the bomb to hit

I thought a deep njp would just lessen your landing recovery frames but not really help your hit advantage to do a legit setup. Not sure if it leaves you that plus

Sunny_D

Green Arrows personal Shooty guy
I thought a deep njp would just lessen your landing recovery frames but not really help your hit advantage to do a legit setup. Not sure if it leaves you that plus
But id it more plus than f2? Thats all im wondering :)

Lokheit

Noob
tech rolling a splat causes the opponent to suffer from more disadvantage than if they were to wake-up normally.
So that's the difference between regular knock downs and splats! I've been scratching my head for months trying to look clever when someone would use the term, what a relief!

So question, since I'm not able to lab it right now. How viable is f2 splat icebomb setup into s4 slide? I've never tried it. But my idea is 1) leads to highest damage combos especially with 2-3 drones or just a de bomb 2) s4 may be able to be hit confirmed to slide (idk) 3) s4 should prevent jumps maybe even before they get head height even if the spacing isn't perfect. 4) i believe s4 is safe or very low minus frames on block. Can some one try this and let me know? @RM Ree @Kindred @Sunny_D @FrankOceansWaifu

FrankOceansWaifu

Watch this set up.
S4 for me at least is not hit comfirmable so it canceling into slide is gonna have to be a good read. I do however think the bomb would make punishing you harder for the opponent. S4 by itself is +2 on block however the hitbox is mostly vertical so low profiling would be a problem. Tech rolling would also probably screw up combo timing. S4's AA properties are really good and in the corner would be an easy hit confirm into damage or another set up. Has potential in my amateur opionion

S4 for me at least is not hit comfirmable so it canceling into slide is gonna have to be a good read. I do however think the bomb would make punishing you harder for the opponent. S4 by itself is +2 on block however the hitbox is mostly vertical so low profiling would be a problem. Tech rolling would also probably screw up combo timing. S4's AA properties are really good and in the corner would be an easy hit confirm into damage or another set up. Has potential in my amateur opionion
Im going to try it tonight see if there are other possibilities with it since like 21 its +on block.

On another note (not setup based) what are you guys thoughts on d4 anti cross over? I got a scorpion really good with it 3 times in a match and was able to combo from it. Imo i THINK it would be good maybe even more consistent than s1 since it lowers your hit box.

Well from a jump out s4 slide will never connect to bomb or combo best option i see is with a bomb set up 21 tic throw. It stuffs jumps before they start and even on whiff from a delayed getup the grab will connect and freeze. Since there are few low profiling wakeup attacks the main thing to be wary of is armor which can be baited blocked and punished. Armored grabs seem to be the bane of me though so jason mu is cancer lol i just try to back dash to get hit by his advancing punch string smdh.

Find some new tasty ice cicle stuff :) another way to beat jump out and get the freeze you want in the corner

Also from doing b2 mid ice bomb (dd2) if they don't jump and decide to block you can jik (they will probably block high and then go low immediately) you can then delay into the overhead dive kick for a htb and freeze RIP

We all know csz is a swaggy combo character so what's better than adding a second bomb to our ice bomb combos.

Of course options like armor and low profiling still can beat this. Ill post a compilation as well as other options from doing this setup.