What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Cryomancer Throw Cancel Combos

Sphynx

Noob
Here is a list of possible throw cancel combos for Sub-Zero's Cryomancer variation. I feel throw cancels are a great way to catch your opponent off guard and get anywhere from 50-60% damage for one meter. Add another meter with EX Hammer and you can get 60-67% for 2 meter. A great way to close a round or force your opponent to use a breaker.

Low Start (vs Female Only):
B33xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 19% 47-51% Total
B33xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 22% 50-54% Total

Mid Start:
11xxIceball--JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 17% 45-49% Total
B12xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 22% 50-54% Total
B12xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 26% 54-58% Total

Jump in:
JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 19% 47-51% Total
JI2-11xxIceball--JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 20% 48-52% Total
JI2-B33xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 22% 50-54% Total
JI2-B12xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 25% 53-57% Total
JI2-B12xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 28% 56-60% Total
NJP-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 19% 47-51% Total

Overhead:
B2-GrabxxCancel-Ender 11% 39-43% Total

Enders (After Grab Cancel)
1 Meter (Grab Cancel):
Low: WalkF-B33xxIceball-JI2-B2-F42,1+3 28% (vs Female Only)
Mid: WalkF-B12xxIceball-JI2-B2-F42,1+3 32%
Overhead: B2-Run-F42,1+3 31%
2 Meter (Grab Cancel+EX Hammer):
Low: WalkF-B33xxExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 35%
Mid: WalkF-B12xxExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 39%
Overhead: ExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 33%

Highest Grab Cancel Combo so far (2 Meter)
Opener: JI2-B12xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel 28%
Ender: WalkF-B12xxExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 39%
Total: 67%

I have to thank Tom Brady for his exceptional Sub-Zero guides and frankly the best guides on TYM. He may uses this data in his guide if he wishes. I hope the information provided was helpful!

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Maybe it'd be best if you explained what your definition of throw cancel is. You cannot continue a combo after you reset someone with MB grab.

Sphynx

Noob
Maybe it'd be best if you explained what your definition of throw cancel is. You cannot continue a combo after you reset someone with MB grab.
Grab Cancel is to reset someone in front of you and mix them up into another combo. I feel it's a very underestimated mechanic and can be used to make clutch comebacks. I figured if you read the TITLE of this thread you would have already known (or googled) what a throw cancel was before you clicked the link. To a beginner it probably looks like a useless mechanic but when you put someone in a position where there is no wake up and they have to guess correctly it opens up an opportunity for great damage. The combo doesn't continue through-out the grab combo but the numbers here show the combo before and after the breaker combined.

Lets say you open a game and land a JIP and earn first meter. If you can successfully throw a basic grab cancel combo out you can put your opponent under 50% in less than 10s of the match with 1 meter.

Last edited:

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Grab Cancel is to reset someone in front of you and mix them up into another combo. I feel it's a very underestimated mechanic and can be used to make clutch comebacks. I figured if you read the TITLE of this thread you would have already known (or googled) what a throw cancel was before you clicked the link. To a beginner it probably looks like a useless mechanic but when you put someone in a position where there is no wake up and they have to guess correctly it opens up an opportunity for great damage.
Except it says throw cancel combos and you've written a % as if it's a real combo when in reality you're investing a bar for an unsafe mixup that's rarely in your favour.

These are good for a comeback, not so much for anything else.

Sphynx

Noob
Except it says throw cancel combos and you've written a % as if it's a real combo when in reality you're investing a bar for an unsafe mixup that's rarely in your favour.

These are good for a comeback, not so much for anything else.
I wrote a % for the initial combo, a % for the ender, and a % for both combined. I never once said it was a guaranteed 67% damage. I said it is a great mechanic to catch your opponent off guard. I'm here simply providing numerical information. Whether it's useful to you or not.. I don't care, I didn't ask and I would appreciate it if you took your ridiculous "Know-it-all" attitude elsewhere.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I wrote a % for the initial combo, a % for the ender, and a % for both combined. I never once said it was a guaranteed 67% damage. I said it is a great mechanic to catch your opponent off guard. I'm here simply providing numerical information. Whether it's useful to you or not.. I don't care, I didn't ask and I would appreciate it if you took your ridiculous "Know-it-all" attitude elsewhere.
No need to get butthurt.

I agreed with you that these are good for a comeback, then went on to explain why they're potentially very unsafe otherwise.

My confusion, as I explained, stemmed from the term throw-cancel and you listing a 20% or so combo then immediately after writing 50-60% without explaining the mixup immediately after.

God forbid someone is tired and asks for explanation.

Assuming you mean MB throws, how would you be able to get away with an walk forward B1,2 ice hammer? Wouldn't they be able to just block it high?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Lets say you open a game and land a JIP and earn first meter. If you can successfully throw a basic grab cancel combo out you can put your opponent under 50% in less than 10s of the match with 1 meter.
But you're not spending 1 bar are you? If after the MB grab you want to mix with a low starter you need an EX Hammer. So now that's 2 bars for ~50%.
Unless the opponent is a female character, of course, or you could go with the overhead. But I'd always block high and let you waste 2 bars for 50%.

It's good if you want to try to end the match, but other than that it's not a wise setup to go to all the time.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Here is a list of possible throw cancel combos for Sub-Zero's Cryomancer variation. I feel throw cancels are a great way to catch your opponent off guard and get anywhere from 50-60% damage for one meter. Add another meter with EX Hammer and you can get 60-67% for 2 meter. A great way to close a round or force your opponent to use a breaker.

Low Start (vs Female Only):
B33xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 19% 47-51% Total
B33xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 22% 50-54% Total

Mid Start:
11xxIceball--JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 17% 45-49% Total
B12xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 22% 50-54% Total
B12xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 26% 54-58% Total

Jump in:
JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 19% 47-51% Total
JI2-11xxIceball--JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 20% 48-52% Total
JI2-B33xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 22% 50-54% Total
JI2-B12xxIceball-JI2-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 25% 53-57% Total
JI2-B12xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 28% 56-60% Total
NJP-242-Run-GrabxxCancel-Ender 19% 47-51% Total

Overhead:
B2-GrabxxCancel-Ender 11% 39-43% Total

Enders (After Grab Cancel)
1 Meter (Grab Cancel):
Low: WalkF-B33xxIceball-JI2-B2-F42,1+3 28% (vs Female Only)
Mid: WalkF-B12xxIceball-JI2-B2-F42,1+3 32%
Overhead: B2-Run-F42,1+3 31%
2 Meter (Grab Cancel+EX Hammer):
Low: WalkF-B33xxExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 35%
Mid: WalkF-B12xxExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 39%
Overhead: ExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 33%

Highest Grab Cancel Combo so far (2 Meter)
Opener: JI2-B12xxIceball-JI2-F122-242-Run-GrabxxCancel 28%
Ender: WalkF-B12xxExHammer-B2-Run-F42,1+3 39%
Total: 67%

I have to thank Tom Brady for his exceptional Sub-Zero guides and frankly the best guides on TYM. He may uses this data in his guide if he wishes. I hope the information provided was helpful!
I appreciate the effort. However, you do realize that MB throw leaves you at neutral frames, right?

Thanks anyways!

Sphynx

Noob
No need to get butthurt.

I agreed with you that these are good for a comeback, then went on to explain why they're potentially very unsafe otherwise.

My confusion, as I explained, stemmed from the term throw-cancel and you listing a 20% or so combo then immediately after writing 50-60% without explaining the mixup immediately after.

God forbid someone is tired and asks for explanation.
Grab Cancel.. what does it sound like? You grab someone and you cancel it. What else would it possibly mean? Also, I've written this in what is known as the standard notation on this site. If you have played Cryo Sub-Zero, these percentages should look fairly familiar as they are basically just combos with a hard reset in the middle.

Opener Combo (17%-28%) - Grab Cancel - Ender Combo (28%-39%)

I don't mind explaining things at all, but when you come saying "good for a comeback, not so much for anything else." then you're clearly just being ignorant. Especially when you can't even read basic notation. Listen, I wouldn't have put the time in writing this if I wasn't planning on helping/supplying information. But when you come in implying I am supplying useless information I got defensive. As I said, I was simply just posting numerical values to anybody that can read, understand, and use it in a match.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Grab Cancel.. what does it sound like? You grab someone and you cancel it. What else would it possibly mean? Also, I've written this in what is known as the standard notation on this site. If you have played Cryo Sub-Zero, these percentages should look fairly familiar as they are basically just combos with a hard reset in the middle.

Opener Combo (17%-28%) - Grab Cancel - Ender Combo (28%-39%)

I don't mind explaining things at all, but when you come saying "good for a comeback, not so much for anything else." then you're clearly just being ignorant. Especially when you can't even read basic notation. Listen, I wouldn't have put the time in writing this if I wasn't planning on helping/supplying information. But when you come in implying I am supplying useless information I got defensive. As I said, I was simply just posting numerical values to anybody that can read, understand, and use it in a match.
Again, it's mostly referred to as MB throw, you can understand my confusion.

Subzero is not a mixup character. This tech is good for a comeback but in other scenarios it doesn't make much sense to go for these since they are either unsafe or easily blockable in the case of EX hammer as a combo starter.

If you wish to argue your points then I'll gladly hear it, I didn't come here to attack you in any way.

at first i was like hey thats a good idea

then i was like oh...its a meter burn for a mixup that can lead to you yourself being in a mixup

cryomancer has more mixup potential then reg sub but not by much. hes not a really good mixup character with essentially only truly having a option vs female characters when not using a bar, or in the corner.

but for fun, anyone know how many frames cryo has in andvantage/disadvantage when doign this?

Grab Cancel is to reset someone in front of you and mix them up into another combo. I feel it's a very underestimated mechanic and can be used to make clutch comebacks. I figured if you read the TITLE of this thread you would have already known (or googled) what a throw cancel was before you clicked the link. To a beginner it probably looks like a useless mechanic but when you put someone in a position where there is no wake up and they have to guess correctly it opens up an opportunity for great damage. The combo doesn't continue through-out the grab combo but the numbers here show the combo before and after the breaker combined.

This is a waste of a meter when you can end the combo with f4 2 1+3... that is bnb ness of cryomancers and it give the same neutral restand a meter burn grab gives. Mb grabs are great for GM sub zero though. I'd rename the thread.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police

You realize they can still tech the throw at the end of the combo? These are probably great against unsuspecting players though.