What's new

Cronus Adapter Banned from all Big E Gaming Events

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
With Winter Brawl coming up in the latter part of February 2014, it may be wise to give an important notice to those who are attending or plan to attend. It has been announced via the official FaceBook page by Big E Gaming that all Cronus Adapters are banned from any tournaments hosted by them. This was originally confirmed via a status update from staff member @Mikemetroid and now Big E Gaming is backing the announcement.

Here is the FaceBook post from Big E about the fate of the Cronus Adapter. If you were hoping to make good use of it at Winter Brawl, you're going to need a change in plans.

As stated by Big E: "The Cronus converter is officially banned from Big E Gaming events. Please make alternative plans if you currently use one in tournament play."

Big E Gaming FaceBook Cronus Adapter.png
Source: Big E Gaming FaceBook Page

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I perfectly agree with this ban. I'm sure the other remaining scenes will follow suit very shortly. I know that my local area here started banning them for our last monthly that we just had.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
And actually, that above image is the first time that I've actually seen it and I just realized that someone was using it on my 360 on Saturday. And last night, I hooked up my 360 for the first time since then and the system kept locking up on me.

So........

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Good. These things suck; I remember being put on blast for calling them out when people first started to try them out. #toldyouso
Same here dude, this ruined my offline experience in the Cleveland scene and half the people going to casuals probably thought I was just complaining for no reason (which is even more annoying). I pretty much don't go to casuals anymore because of salting out so much from the cronus dropping inputs and random lag. I get way more enjoyment and drop far less inputs ONLINE than with this stupid device on the 360.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I used one on a local once and damn did it cause delay issues, I said screw it I stopped using my stick and went back to pads and invested in buying a PS3 madcat pad to practice on and a 360 one for tourneys, only set me back 40 bucks compared to the amounta dual mod stick or HB can cost. These things I heard are also causing hardware issues on console when they are used.

Noob
It's funny. I have a cronus and have never experienced any of the problems. I think that when these devices are good, they are REALLY good, but when the are faulty, they not only cause delay for the user, but also for the other player, can cause system freezes (only when connected), and can temporarily short the usb inputs (forcing a system restart to fix it).

As much as I love my cronus, I have to agree that banning them is a good idea because the faulty ones seem to outnumber the good ones.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
For the record in my experience i've seen cronus adapters simply not even work on some consoles. They are very picky when they want to work and what @Shock and I think they do is that the cronus actually overloads the usb ports and causes both controllers to malfunction.

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
I agree with this and yet dread keeping a te and a te2 on me all day if I want to be able to play injustice and KI casuals. That's like holding two fat babies while trying to see over people's shoulders. Not ready to spend another $140 to dual mod the te 2

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
It's really unfortunate but we gave them a shot across multiple tournaments. They have proven to be more trouble than they are worth. There are ways to get them to work and you can reset the system before every match with them to prevent the random input loss caused by the USB overload (the adapter gets very warm during usage) but it's pretty unanimous across the TO end that we can't use these adapters anymore. I will try to contact the people who make them and see if there's any way they can address this with future versions and maybe give us some to give away if they do fix the issue.

I would suggest to players who want to use PS pads on the 360 to get these http://etokki.com/Xtokki360 ASAP along with a PS2 controller and break it in. For those who have PS3 TEs, I really don't know what to do. There are other adapters but they all suck. The other community decision to override would be the PS3/360 version standard but 360 is better, straight up.

Last edited:

rolz420zx

MindGamez
Uhh, well this sucks....lol I was seriously just about to order the CronusMax so I can use my 360 fight stick on my Xbox One. Now, after reading some of these posts, I'm definitely not going to order it. Which sucks because I just spent a ton to buy the Xbox One and spending another 200 on the KI fight stick is just not happening...lol

Noob
It's really unfortunate but we gave them a shot across multiple tournaments. They have proven to be more trouble than they are worth. There are ways to get them to work and you can reset the system before every match with them to prevent the random input loss caused by the USB overload (the adapter gets very warm during usage) but it's pretty unanimous across the TO end that we can't use these adapters anymore. I will try to contact the people who make them and see if there's any way they can address this with future versions and maybe give us some to give away if they do fix the issue.

I would suggest to players who want to use PS pads on the 360 to get these http://etokki.com/Xtokki360 ASAP along with a PS2 controller and break it in. For those who have PS3 TEs, I really don't know what to do. There are other adapters but they all suck. The other community decision to override would be the PS3/360 version standard but 360 is better, straight up.

It really is a shame because when this converter works, its a dream come true, but overall the faulty ones seem to really outnumber the good ones.

Hi Guys,

I am the project leader of the new CronusMAX software and just wanted to touch base with you regarding the ban of the old Cronus Device.

Firstly I agree with you, the old device was poorly managed indeed. The software isn't that good and very outdated, and the hardware itself had some very shoddy build quality.

This is why we started the CronusMAX project a few months ago as we are Cronus users ourselves and were not happy with the lack of support and it seemed like anyone who had a problem wasn't being helped.

Let me direct you to this information on our website just so you can get a better understanding of who we are first of all: http://cronusmax.com/who-are-cronusmax

As you can see we are completely independent and nothing to do with the original Cronus, we simply set ourselves up to get as many of the devices as we could, check each one for any defaults or defects and make them good and then we designed our own software and firmware to clean out any bugs, improve performance and add all new features to support the next generation of consoles.

As you can see here we have been very busy with updating and improving the device: http://cronusmax.com/category/cronusmax-news

Our new version doesn't have any of the issues that have been highlighted, however I also agree that it is completely unsuitable for a Tournament environment. Even though the cross-gaming/remapping works fantastic with CronusMAX it also has all of the scripting and macros and GamePacks which are of course not suitable for Tournaments.

We have been in discussion with some Pro Gamers about this and are looking at designing a "Tournament Edition". These will be certified as fully tested "in-game", no lag or other issues and will have a custom firmware that only supports Cross Gaming and button Remapping.

Now I totally accept that the old Cronus has a bum name due to the issues highlighted so it would be difficult to determine which users had a "good" Cronus against a "poor" one. So we are open to designing our own custom version (which will not be branded as Cronus) and will be designed solely for Tournaments in mind, backed by our far superior design and manufacturing capabilities and of course support. We could also of course design a new shell (perhaps a different color?) that is shipped to those who are only using the Tournament firmware and would effectively re-brand the device into something that wouldn't cause any issues at all. We have tested our firmware in multiple environments with multiple players and there are no power/lag issues whatsoever.

I appreciate the decision made and in fact agree with it, but I figured I'd lay out my point of view as a professional and fellow gamer and hoped for some feedback

Thank you for your time

Charlie
www.cronusmax.com

PS Admin: I am happy to provide a few samples of the new CronusMAX for you to try them out yourselves - feel free to drop me a line :)