What's new

Match Footage Critique my gameplay

How good of a Catwoman Am I so far?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
SO I ran a set with @Compbros ( thanks bro for the video) online.. I do love playing Catwoman but I need to know what I need to do in order to level up. I am asking if you guys could critique my gameplay and give me some inputs, tips, match-up knowledge, footsies tools, tendencies etc.

Its online and THERE WAS LAG!!!!

@GGA 16 Bit
@Ra Helios
@KC H0oKsw0rds
@Starcharger28
@Akromaniac27
@Under_The_Mayo
@Ecodus
@chemist4hire
@Laos_boy
and anyone else who plays Selina Kyle. Also if there is anyone here on Testyourmight who Ive played in the past online your inputs are also welcome.

LRK128

TEST - YOU'RE WHITE!
I voted poor because you should always think of yourself as poor
If you think you're badass you will just sit their and think you're badass
If you think you're poor you'll get 6 or 7 points better
i didn't watch it but dude that was some poor gameplay

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Great insight.

Just kidding.

Kyu

CHOO CHOO BANE TRAIN
Yeah I'm not about to watch CW vs Superman that bores me. I will definitely play you when I'm on though, provided you want to be put in a bodybag after having your back broken. Add EMPEROR_MUSCLES on psn. I look forward to it.

KC H0oKsw0rds

iK A B A L
Hey jaiyson. Looks like you had a tough time with lag so I'll keep that in mind with the critique. Main things are this:
Know when you can afford to use a meter less combo. 1 bar can equal 45% for her so anything less is kind of a waste. Also if lag is an issue or your execution is off, stick to easy combos like: starter~claws j1 112~whip
And 33 should never really be used in the middle of a combo, only as a ground starter. 33 tends to throw off the gravity and damage scaling and there's just better options for juggles: f2, 112, 11-112, 12

Hit/block confirming & stutter step
Try to improve here in general. Connect your jb2 to f112 even if jb2 is blocked. I know you know this, just saying. I think the lag made you miss on quite a few j2s and compros trip guard punished with f23 so careful with the placement of your j2. One thing I know I need to do is if I see they are blocking my f112, I need to block confirm to f1123 instead of f112claws, that way I get an extra overhead on the 3. And you stutter step way too much (again, I do too).
You hit with f1 but switch to b1 and he blocked the b1 and stopped your pressure. Just stick to one string for the most part. Only start stutter stepping when they start blocking your strings perfectly. And by perfectly I mean this: b12d3claws=block down up down up. But this is entirely different conversation we can talk about later.

Momentum and spacing
Seems like you back off a little when you should be keeping close. You're not Sinestro so don't walk back for long periods of time, keep kinda close and stay on that ass. Watch the vid, you are just walking around and he's not even zoning you hard. You could have used that time to get closer, instead you just wait to dodge lasers.

Anyways, thanks for putting this vid up. I'm trying to help where I can, even though you beat me a lot :p
Mostly just general things we all need to work on. Blocking, spacing, safe effective pressure, meter management, TECH ROLLING every time, and the oki game.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I watched a few but a couple things I took from it. After a 1,f+2 knockdown I never saw you go for the safe jump. Maybe you know cause I saw you do empty jumps but never the jump 3. If you don't know she gets a free jump in 3(then hold down). If Superman tries to backdash or jump out he gets hit and you can convert into d+1~Cat Dash. The great thing is if he does wakeup scoop or wakeup air grab you'll block it and be safe, then you can punish. The only wakeup he can do is wakeup breath. If you read that then you can do a fake out empty jump and then stuff the wakeup breath. So mix up jump 3 and empty jump into 50/50.

I actually liked how much you were walking in his footsies range. I didn't see him whiffing f+2 much, so that's your cue to start mixing up dash in, jump and low whip. Mostly you seemed to just throw out b+3. It's dangerous but something to think about.

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Amm well I understand your motives but no I wont just sit back if you said I was badass. I always will try to find room for improvement. So please watch the video and give me your honest opinion.

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Yeah I'm not about to watch CW vs Superman that bores me. I will definitely play you when I'm on though, provided you want to be put in a bodybag after having your back broken. Add EMPEROR_MUSCLES on psn. I look forward to it.
LOL Bane vs Catwoman ONLINE?? Thats a treat..

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Hey jaiyson. Looks like you had a tough time with lag so I'll keep that in mind with the critique. Main things are this:
Know when you can afford to use a meter less combo. 1 bar can equal 45% for her so anything less is kind of a waste. Also if lag is an issue or your execution is off, stick to easy combos like: starter~claws j1 112~whip
And 33 should never really be used in the middle of a combo, only as a ground starter. 33 tends to throw off the gravity and damage scaling and there's just better options for juggles: f2, 112, 11-112, 12

Hit/block confirming & stutter step
Try to improve here in general. Connect your jb2 to f112 even if jb2 is blocked. I know you know this, just saying. I think the lag made you miss on quite a few j2s and compros trip guard punished with f23 so careful with the placement of your j2. One thing I know I need to do is if I see they are blocking my f112, I need to block confirm to f1123 instead of f112claws, that way I get an extra overhead on the 3. And you stutter step way too much (again, I do too).
You hit with f1 but switch to b1 and he blocked the b1 and stopped your pressure. Just stick to one string for the most part. Only start stutter stepping when they start blocking your strings perfectly. And by perfectly I mean this: b12d3claws=block down up down up. But this is entirely different conversation we can talk about later.

Momentum and spacing
Seems like you back off a little when you should be keeping close. You're not Sinestro so don't walk back for long periods of time, keep kinda close and stay on that ass. Watch the vid, you are just walking around and he's not even zoning you hard. You could have used that time to get closer, instead you just wait to dodge lasers.

Anyways, thanks for putting this vid up. I'm trying to help where I can, even though you beat me a lot :p
Mostly just general things we all need to work on. Blocking, spacing, safe effective pressure, meter management, TECH ROLLING every time, and the oki game.
I resorted to 33 because of the lag. I normally do b3 or f2 whiff mb catdash after catclaws. Honestly I inputted all the string after jb2 but it didn't seem to come off somehow. I rarely end strings in the f1123 . Its just habit to do catclaws.. I really was concern about dashing into Superman F2 range so that's why I was staying away or walking back. I really need to tech roll more and Compbros was definitely catching on to my stutter steps so you're right I should just stick to just one string. I could have capitalize alot more with that..

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
I watched a few but a couple things I took from it. After a 1,f+2 knockdown I never saw you go for the safe jump. Maybe you know cause I saw you do empty jumps but never the jump 3. If you don't know she gets a free jump in 3(then hold down). If Superman tries to backdash or jump out he gets hit and you can convert into d+1~Cat Dash. The great thing is if he does wakeup scoop or wakeup air grab you'll block it and be safe, then you can punish. The only wakeup he can do is wakeup breath. If you read that then you can do a fake out empty jump and then stuff the wakeup breath. So mix up jump 3 and empty jump into 50/50.

I actually liked how much you were walking in his footsies range. I didn't see him whiffing f+2 much, so that's your cue to start mixing up dash in, jump and low whip. Mostly you seemed to just throw out b+3. It's dangerous but something to think about.
Thanks alot bro. I will definitely utilize this.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
really was concern about dashing into Superman F2 range so that's why I was staying away or walking back...

Yeah...in this game, especially in a match where she gets out footsied, you gotta basically just feel out if they're going to preemptively throw out their main footsies tool. Walking in that range was smart. Let him hang himself. But once you see he's scared to do it that's when it's ok to go in. As long as you mix up low whip, dash up and jump he won't be able to block and/or punish all of them. Now sometimes you're going to be wrong and get blown the fuck up for dashing in or jumping...but you just gotta take that as a bad read and not get emo.

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
Great playing. Your unclashable knock down game was really impressive, definitely going to incoperate that into my CW. You really suffered when you didn't use jump back whip enough on some of his dash ins. Also after his f2 breath string, you can ji2 to punish his back dash. So really those two goofed ya a little, great playing though.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
I watch the whole thing.

Average.

There is more room for improvement. When Superman goes for the the low scoop. You can punish it with the 112 catclaw. I like the way you caught superman in the air with jp2 and continue the string with b3, it give out more damage.

Catwoman cannot punish bf3 unless you do a d2. Most likely it won't work because of the bf3 spacing, So you will have to deal with that or j1 read it and punish it.

Work on your corner and combo and midscreen combo. It need to be improve.

You know a little bit about the mu doing a jb2 when superman do f23.

Like how you went for f3f3.l unclashable.

How long you play catwoman?

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
Yeah...in this game, especially in a match where she gets out footsied, you gotta basically just feel out if they're going to preemptively throw out their main footsies tool. Walking in that range was smart. Let him hang himself. But once you see he's scared to do it that's when it's ok to go in. As long as you mix up low whip, dash up and jump he won't be able to block and/or punish all of them. Now sometimes you're going to be wrong and get blown the fuck up for dashing in or jumping...but you just gotta take that as a bad read and not get emo.
Just gotta take that risk and hopes it pays off... The struggles my brother...

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Thats not true, you should always respect the qualities you have as a player, if you think you're poor in a certain area why would you use it?
Lying to yourself wont help either way. I know I've always had solid rushdown, but that doesn't make me ignore it because I think I'm already good enough at it. There's always room for improvement (which I guess is what you're trying to say?)

Jaiyson

100% Jamaican
I watch the whole thing.

Average.

There is more room for improvement. When Superman goes for the the low scoop. You can punish it with the 112 catclaw. I like the way you caught superman in the air with jp2 and continue the string with b3, it give out more damage.

Catwoman cannot punish bf3 unless you do a d2. Most likely it won't work because of the bf3 spacing, So you will have to deal with that or j1 read it and punish it.

Work on your corner and combo and midscreen combo. It need to be improve.

You know a little bit about the mu doing a jb2 when superman do f23.

Like how you went for f3f3.l unclashable.

How long you play catwoman?
Ra I honestly do have my bnbs down but I wasnt confident in my execution online due to the lag. Im not a seasoned online player but Ive been playing Selina since release. Ok so 112 punish for low scoop noted, whats the best punish for rising grab? I will practice to adjust my execution online..

Ra Helios

Ra I honestly do have my bnbs down but I wasnt confident in my execution online due to the lag. Im not a seasoned online player but Ive been playing Selina since release. Ok so 112 punish for low scoop noted, whats the best punish for rising grab? I will practice to adjust my execution online..
The best execution for blocking rising grab is 112 into a bf1, b3 f3 1f2 or you can do a b3 j3 1f2.

I know you have your bnb down but I what im saying is you can find better bnb then you have now.

For example when I pick up Catwoman I was doing

B123 catdash b3,f3,1f2 35%
Then I find a better bnb set up
B123 bf1 b3 f3 1f2 36% which push them in corner
But at that time I wasnt thinking like that because I didnt have no corner tech combos.

KC H0oKsw0rds

iK A B A L
@Ra Helios isn't there a difference in timing the punish on rising grab whether you block it standing or ducking? For me online there is. I usually block it ducking cuz I'm looking for wake up scoop but the window is pretty tight. But if I block it standing... I have enough time to grab another beer from the fridge come back and still punish it.

Ra Helios

@Ra Helios isn't there a difference in timing the punish on rising grab whether you block it standing or ducking? For me online there is. I usually block it ducking cuz I'm looking for wake up scoop but the window is pretty tight. But if I block it standing... I have enough time to grab another beer from the fridge come back and still punish it.
You are correct.