What's new

Match-up Discussion Creating Space

What do you guys use to create space vs. some of the heavier rush down characters like catwoman and nightwing? MB Dark Energy is good for keeping the space but I'm curious as to what your general strats are for getting people off you. Is Far GS worth the risk startup and recovery wise you are looking at almost 2 seconds worth of frames. I've also been relying on d1 sword combo to push them out but if sword's on cooldown that option isn't available.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Trait Dash Cancel is good for this. Throw up a trait, hold it for a second, and then dash back while they're blocking.
Only thing is that you have to set it up first. They have to know that you're willing to let it go and they have to not know when, so occasionally you have to pull out trait and throw it immediately, sometimes you have to pull it out and hold it for a second before throwing it. You have to get the mind games going, but once you do it can be good for making space. Also good for meter building.
It also doesn't work at point blank range where they know they can just stuff it immediately on reaction, or from slightly farther ranges for other characters who have moves that can stuff it quickly from range. The threat of actually hitting them with it has to be there before you can use it to make space.

MB f3 can be a good option. It has good range, a ton of pushback, and leaves you very positive so you have time to make more space. They should be able to react to it and not get hit(it's pretty slow) but it will catch them sometimes if they're watching for that d1 and if it does hit it leads to a full combo.

Jumping back 1 works sometimes if you're trying to get away. Jumping moves you back pretty quickly and jump 1 has an awesome horizontal hitbox that tends to hit anyone coming in on you, especially if they're in the air.

The b13 string is also your friend here. This is another one that works best once you have some space already. If they're dashing in you can catch them with it and it'll send them full screen if it connects. Basically any time you can force them to whiff something you can use this put them back at full screen.

The other thing to think about in regards to this is combo enders. It may not be a good idea to go for the reset or end in something with a hard knockdown that leaves them near you. Try to use combos that send them fullscreen at the end of the combo. Anything ending in axe or b13 usually does this, and 3d2~invis and 112~fireball also usually create pretty good space. Having invisibility up(even the non-ex one) also tends to work in your favor. You can't count on it, but it can make it slightly harder for them to judge distance and react to what you're doing. A lot of the time they'll even throw something out blindly just to get you visible again, and you can capitalize on that.

I don't ever use far GS to get away, by I imagine that there are certain match ups or situations where you can use it relatively safely or where any risk would be worth the spacing you can create. It's probably worth exploring. It's not something I've personally thought about much

Also, don't forget about pushblock.

My biggest problem is people constantly jumping in at me. It just seems Ares does not have a decent anti air at all. I know there was a thread about this already but I was wondering if you have any other suggestions. It just seems like Ares gets overwhelmed if he is constantly being jumped in at. It's easy to keep them away from far away but if they happen to get past the quarter screen point things just fall apart for me.

I'm no expert with Ares but it seems to me he has a lot of ways to control the opponent from at least a quarter screen away and if he can get in he can unleash holy hell in terms of damage but he can be almost useless if the opponent just overwhelms him with constant jump ins.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I cannot recall how many times I used Jumping 1 to get jumpers off of me. That move is an absolute life saver for me.