What's new

Crappy online abilities... *sadface*

Baraka Obama

8 Years of Bringin' the Pain!
For someone who royally sucks at everything online(besides co-op stuff of course!), I've never really been so big on online modes because of this and the fact that this made me feel so awful xD But as I said in my intro post, I really love this game and am truly willing to put in the time an effort to get better at it. So that brings me to a few questions!

1.) I like to use a lot of different characters, is this good or bad for a beginner like myself? I know about 4 or so combos and all the specials of each character that I use frequently.

2.) How can I get better at blocking?!?! This is a big one because whenever I block, I get ran over. When my opponents block, they seems to do so with perfect accuracy and timing nearly 100% of the time.

3.) Is there anything else I should know about being a beginner or the Vita's online? I've played other crappy players before, but I feel that even the ones I've beaten are still better than me! To be honest, I just feel like there isn't any other player that's anywhere close to as bad as I am xD

If any of these are guides or previously posted anyway, just point me in the right direction, and thank you all very much in advance!

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
1.) I like to use a lot of different characters, is this good or bad for a beginner like myself? I know about 4 or so combos and all the specials of each character that I use frequently.
I recommend finding a character you enjoy playing the most, then working with him/her. Learn their BnB's, their frame data, their gimmicks, etc.
2.) How can I get better at blocking?!?! This is a big one because whenever I block, I get ran over. When my opponents block, they seems to do so with perfect accuracy and timing nearly 100% of the time.
Just practice holding block when you see someone start to attack you, and learn when you're at +/- frames so you know if you can poke/armor/ etc.

3.) Is there anything else I should know about being a beginner or the Vita's online? I've played other crappy players before, but I feel that even the ones I've beaten are still better than me!
Play people you know that are better then you. Ask them for help, advice on what to do and what not to do.

To be honest, I just feel like there isn't any other player that's anywhere close to as bad as I am xD
You haven't played me yet ;)

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Well i think you should go around and find the character that best fits how you want to play. Usually I would start out with my favorites in the cast then work my way to one that I think are interesting. I hate scorpion cause Sub-zero is my favorite MK character, but in every MK I always wind up maining him. Also once you find that character that interest you take a week to learn around 5 or 6 combos and be able to do them flawlessly. Your execution is gonna get better from doing this, and you will start to be able to recognize what options you have where.

Personally I would learn 2 mid-screen combos, 1 anti-air combo, 2 corner combos, 1 main punish combo. I would also make myself familiar with my characters button command combos. some you won't use, but it never hurts to know what your character can do.
Once you have a strong understanding of that character learn a character that is strong in where your first character is weak.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I recommend finding character you enjoy playing the most, then working with him. Learn their BnB's, their frame data, their gimmicks, etc.

Just practice holding block when you see someone start to attack you, and learn when you're at +/- frames so you know if you can poke/armor/ etc.

Play people you know that are better then you. Ask them for help, advice on what to do and what not to do.

You haven't played me yet ;)
Chongo was pretty bad when he first started. he complained alot too lol. Now he is monster.

Baraka Obama

@Chongo: Sounds great, and nahh you're probably not that bad, especially if you're giving me advice amirite? (;

GhosT: Wow, that sounds like a great strategy, I'll definitely do that!

Thanks to you both and again, JTStyles41 if anyone would like to play me!

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
@Chongo: Sounds great, and nahh you're probably not that bad, especially if you're giving me advice amirite? (;

GhosT: Wow, that sounds like a great strategy, I'll definitely do that!

Thanks to you both and again, JTStyles41 if anyone would like to play me!
No problemo. Feel free to ask me for help if you have a question, I don't mind :).

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
LEARN TO LOVE LOSING! YOU ARE BRAND SPANKING NEW AND HAVE NO RIGHT TO BE MAD WHEN YOU LOSE! Number 1 important lesson, people are discouraged because they dont immediately beat every single opponent, but LETS BE SERIOUS HERE we have a 2+ year advantage over you. i really feel this is an important lesson and when you welcome loss you can learn from your mistakes. having said that keep playing and playing and playing. mk is like any other game, talking about getting better wont produce results as fast as playing the game instead, and you will see improvement. remember losing comes because of two reasons; poor execution and holes in your knowledge, both are improved by playing the game.

i highly suggest viewing the philosphy forum as well!

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
ALSO if you are playing primarily online it is VERY important to play equal minded consistent players for real training sessions. when you feel like blowing off steam, fuck with the randoms

Baraka Obama

You are extremely right! I do get discouraged, but it is not because I want a 100% win rate, it's because of the fact that I lose SO much that it makes me feel insignificant! But still, you are correct about everything you said, and I believe that practice will make a player better as well.

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
hey man, glad to see new people on TYM trying to level up.
if it where up to me and how I honestly got better is by play one charterer, learning his/her combs ( bnbs ) and how they do against each charterer. don't worry about anti airs or frame data or anything like that yet, just get a main, and play the crap out of them =) it will all come to you after that.

learning to block, attack, and everything else will come with time. I'd be a good idea to know what you should and shouldn't block thought, or what's punishable and what's not. here's some examples: Sub Zero's slide, Reptile's slide, Scorpion's spear and Lao's spin. after blocking all these you get a free combo. ( sorry if you already knew that.)

Anyway, best of luck man

Baraka Obama

I knew that, but honestly that's like the only thing I knew, but no apologies necessary! :D It'd help heaps if I didn't, so much appreciated either way. Alright I think I'll pick a main. Not sure if it should be Kabal or Sub :/ I'll figure it out tho! And thanks, man! I hope it eventually works xD I sucks when even ladder mode is hard lol

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
I could tell you how I train, but it's really just me being anal about my character.
1. I usually will run through my bnb's and do them 10x for as long as it takes for me to be satisfied.
2. I practice every set-up that goes with those combos 10x each until I feel satisfied
3. I will practice links, and cancels (ex) D4 slide, D1 spear, ect.
4. I will practice instant teleports for about 20 minutes just teleprting until I build the muscle memory to do it at a fast and low point.
I play scorpion so alot of my training comes down to just execution, and height in which things will connect. I think doing the ladder on expert can help you learn what some characters do enough to get a basic understanding of how to fight against them.
Also try to learn the properties of your moves by the way. Some moves will cause a splat effect others will produce Dan Forden for a toasty boost. That is really important to know.

Baraka Obama

Yeah, what the hell is that damn face xD Dan Forden? Toasty? Boost? So confused xD But the rest was really helpful, especially the training types, very appreciated!

CrazyBread

Princess Diana
Yeah, what the hell is that damn face xD Dan Forden? Toasty? Boost? So confused xD But the rest was really helpful, especially the training types, very appreciated!
When Dan comes up in the bottom of the right screen and shouts "Toasty!" you actually have a chance to gain 3 bars of meter (X-Ray) by doing the correct inputs for which ever character you are using, for example; if I'm playing you and Dan pops up I would do ddd4, which is Jax's inputs for his toasty boost. Beware if that were to happen and you were in the corner beware because that's a 100% reset right there.

Also STB Chongo dude I swear you should win the Downplaying Award for MK9 lol!

Baraka Obama

Zomg that's friggin amazing... why isn't any of this stuff in the manual?! Well I guess the entire game is one big easter egg xD Kinda like the secret krypt koins which totally made my day a little bit brighter! Thank you for telling me that, btw.